Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Doug...as you can tell.....and I have been riding for about 18 years. I only recently got into the idea of making a cafe racer.....I had been trying to find a bike for the wife to learn to ride on..and got two 1978 CB400a's off ebay for about $220. I was gonna restore her's to stock witha custom paint job she wants, and make mine a CR.

So, the wife, while looking for part bikes for our 1978 CB400A's, Thursday afternoon....sends me an email asking if any parts from "this bike"( link attached in email) will fit our bikes.

I open the ad, and its for a 1977 CB750K, for $150...and within 1/2 hour from our house. I jump on it..send an email to the guy even before replying the wife's email. I told him I would take it.......I am not a CB aficionado....but I figured this thing was a deal...and would make a much better platform for my CRP...cafe race project.

I am calling a half hour later and setting up a time to meet up Saturday. I am coming back from post office this morning...shipping out some packages.....and the guy is calling me to confirm time. Went over there with truck and trailer about 2:30 this afternoon...and got the bike loaded up.

Its obviously gonna need some parts..but most important stuff seems to be there...wheels, tires, shocks, frame motor, sans clutch...has some parts in a box ...and has has the title.....woo hoo.

here she is:





But wait, it gets better. I mention to the guy that I was already looking on ebay for some parts...I knew from the CL ad, it needed bodywork...and a tank. While I am loading up the bike and we are talking....a lightbulb goes off with the guy..and he says he remembers he knows that one of his buddies....like a mile away, has a tank for sale. he calls the guy and says we can head over there after getting the bike loaded up...so we do.

5 minutes later..no shipping, no ebay...no ****..I gots a tank..$40...and its in pretty decent shape......no dents, dings, etc, and only minor rust inside.....maybe 5%.

The tank is from a 71, but I think it will work perfect...mounts like it was meant to be there:





So, welcome to the new base for the CRP..cafe racer project. I am actually gonna still build our 78 CB400A's...no reason not to..but I am looking forward to working on this one.

One final question:

At a friends suggestion not to mess up this pretty tank...I am gonna sell the tank and pay for what I have into everything. Now, here is the question. The white and gold stripes are tape..and not painted on. In the corners..towards back side of the tank, you can plainly see their overlap. Was this stock this way???

I do want to mislead anyone and say its stock, cause I honestly don't know.

Thanks for any and all help. DZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
hey man,

I have plenty of cb750 tanks you can bash up and I am always looking for stock paintwork tanks in good condition. If you want to work a trade (I also have a stockpile of cb750 parts and such) let me know.

your tank is not a 1971 tank. Although all 1969-1976 tanks share the same shape, there are differences. If I had to guess I would say your tank is either 1975 or 1976 based on the petcock location and the color scheme - most likely candy red that has faded slightly (or it could just be the pics).

usually I say stay away from projects like this but you say you have expirence so let the good times roll.

As far as the tanks fitting - all cb750 tanks fit all cb750 frames, the stock seats however only work with appropriate year tanks and the frames are specific to the seat (you cannot bolt a 1971 seat to your 1978 frame). If you use a stock 78 seat on that bike there will be about a 2-3inch gap between the end of the seat and the tank. If you are using a "custom" seat pan then this is really not an issue unless you plan on using stock mounts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
BTW fill out your bio....

and although I said 78, 1977 and 1978 bikes are identical. I had 1978s on the brain when I typed before.

check out www.sohc4.net, espically the vendor FAQ on the forum. worth a read. You can also get a honda shop manual there for free.

BTW, I would check the front end of that bike. It makes me worry when I see one fo those fork ears busted off...makes me think the bike was hammered in the front (also that it is missing the front fender). Plus that right fork looks bent (could just be the camera). Still $150 for a frame with papers and an engine...good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

hey man,

I have plenty of cb750 tanks you can bash up and I am always looking for stock paintwork tanks in good condition. If you want to work a trade (I also have a stockpile of cb750 parts and such) let me know.

your tank is not a 1971 tank. Although all 1969-1976 tanks share the same shape, there are differences. If I had to guess I would say your tank is either 1975 or 1976 based on the petcock location and the color scheme - most likely candy red that has faded slightly (or it could just be the pics).

usually I say stay away from projects like this but you say you have expirence so let the good times roll.

As far as the tanks fitting - all cb750 tanks fit all cb750 frames, the stock seats however only work with appropriate year tanks and the frames are specific to the seat (you cannot bolt a 1971 seat to your 1978 frame). If you use a stock 78 seat on that bike there will be about a 2-3inch gap between the end of the seat and the tank. If you are using a "custom" seat pan then this is really not an issue unless you plan on using stock mounts.
yeah, I trust you are correct...I saw one just like that tank go for $305 on Ebay recently...so I am pretty sure its a 75 tank.

I'll check out the forks..I think they are OK...I just had it strapped a little cocked on the trailer. I'll ofcourse check everything when I tear it apart.

what year tanks do you have, and how bad of shape are they in?? I'd like to stick "75" style...as, to me, it looks like it was meant to be on there.

You have a front fender?? Also, I'll need gauges, headlight.....who knows whet else.

We can work something out. Thanks, DZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
You might wanna check that vin cuz that's not a 77 . 75 or a 76 . I'd put my $$$ more on it being a 76 due to that funky little deflector on the fron disc . The only way I know that is that I have a 76. If you plan on stripping that tank or just not using it PLEASE let me know . I'll take it or swop you . partsnmore and crc2onlinecatalog.com are going to love you . A lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
its a 77 or 78 frame. where the passenger pegs would mount...that triangle is different then 69-76k. i think those carbs didn't show up until 1977 too. and the oil tank too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
agreed - 77-78. The 77-78 bikes used almost the same front end at the 73-76 cb750s. And all spoked wheel cb750s came from the factory with that little deflector...so Wanker pay up.

DougZ, Lets talk about your project for a second....I know it seems like you just want to buy parts and go crazy throwing money at this bike but if you plan your project you can avoid buying useless or unnecessary parts.

Right now, your focus should be on getting that engine running, which means you will need a clutch, clutch engine cover, exhaust, right side engine cover, carb parts, and the usual service (air and oil filters, fuel line, oil, etc...). Without a running engine you have an extremely expensive project instead of just a moderatly expensive one.

gauges, front fender, etc...that will all come later. if you are going to run a brace then you won't need a front fender, or you may want to go plastic, if you are going to run mini gauges or a gauge in headlight then you won't need stockers.

Pick a system of your bike and figure out what you want to do with it, sit down and put together a focused list of parts. you can change it later as things go but at least it will give you an idea of what to look for.

some things to think about:

1) wheels. Are you going to relace? new spokes? stainless? Alloy rims? The 77-78 cb750s run a wider spaced rear sprocket and 630 chain, you can get a 140 rear tire on there if you change the rim and can even get a 150 or (some) 160 if you convert to a specificly made 530 chain. Do I want to run dual disc up front? if so what will I do about a speedo? Do I want to run disc in the rear? if so how will I mount the master cylinder?

2) engine - does it smoke? is it sound? will it need a rebuild? if you have to rebuild it you might as well part out the bike - cb750 rebuilds cost usually about $2000 depending on what parts you need and how much labor you do yourself. just so you know the engine has to be pulled out of the frame for anything that is not an oil change or a valve adjustment so be prepared for that.

3) exhaust - stock pipes? 4 into 1? new or used? mac makes a decent cheap honda pipe new, Kerker makes the best performance pipe new but it is costly (almost $700).


as far as tanks, I have one or two 69-76 cb750 tanks lying around and a few cb750F supersport tanks. both will work as long as you don't care about the seat and are going to go custom anyway.


BTW, I just noticed you are missing all the electrics for that bike as well...The starter solenoid is there but the regulator, rectifier, etc... is missing. also missing is the mounting plate for said electrics. You may want to look into how you are going to run the bike, if you are going to run modern electrics and do a blade fuse conversion or if you are going to stock electrics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

agreed - 77-78. The 77-78 bikes used almost the same front end at the 73-76 cb750s. And all spoked wheel cb750s came from the factory with that little deflector...so Wanker pay up.

DougZ, Lets talk about your project for a second....I know it seems like you just want to buy parts and go crazy throwing money at this bike but if you plan your project you can avoid buying useless or unnecessary parts.

Right now, your focus should be on getting that engine running, which means you will need a clutch, clutch engine cover, exhaust, right side engine cover, carb parts, and the usual service (air and oil filters, fuel line, oil, etc...). Without a running engine you have an extremely expensive project instead of just a moderatly expensive one.

gauges, front fender, etc...that will all come later. if you are going to run a brace then you won't need a front fender, or you may want to go plastic, if you are going to run mini gauges or a gauge in headlight then you won't need stockers.

Pick a system of your bike and figure out what you want to do with it, sit down and put together a focused list of parts. you can change it later as things go but at least it will give you an idea of what to look for.

some things to think about:

1) wheels. Are you going to relace? new spokes? stainless? Alloy rims? The 77-78 cb750s run a wider spaced rear sprocket and 630 chain, you can get a 140 rear tire on there if you change the rim and can even get a 150 or (some) 160 if you convert to a specificly made 530 chain. Do I want to run dual disc up front? if so what will I do about a speedo? Do I want to run disc in the rear? if so how will I mount the master cylinder?

2) engine - does it smoke? is it sound? will it need a rebuild? if you have to rebuild it you might as well part out the bike - cb750 rebuilds cost usually about $2000 depending on what parts you need and how much labor you do yourself. just so you know the engine has to be pulled out of the frame for anything that is not an oil change or a valve adjustment so be prepared for that.

3) exhaust - stock pipes? 4 into 1? new or used? mac makes a decent cheap honda pipe new, Kerker makes the best performance pipe new but it is costly (almost $700).


as far as tanks, I have one or two 69-76 cb750 tanks lying around and a few cb750F supersport tanks. both will work as long as you don't care about the seat and are going to go custom anyway.


BTW, I just noticed you are missing all the electrics for that bike as well...The starter solenoid is there but the regulator, rectifier, etc... is missing. also missing is the mounting plate for said electrics. You may want to look into how you are going to run the bike, if you are going to run modern electrics and do a blade fuse conversion or if you are going to stock electrics.
Nice reply. I am of course going to get the engine running first, and make sure I have a solid base before I start doing anything else. Getting the bike up and running is the very first thing I will do, before redoing/fabricating any kind of body stuff, etc.

Outside the tank, and the tail bodywork which I will fabricate myself, its going to be a basically stock bike. The wheels that are on the bike now, I will keep...they are actually in pretty good shape...just need a little TLC. I do have some other parts not pictured on the bike, like some wiring, cables, batter tray, case cover(points), and starter solenoid. I am not planning on upgrading to to dual disc, or anything like that. I have a couple sportbikes for my speed needs.

Exhaust will be the biggest first hurdle.....new systems are pricey...and I do not wanna pay a lot on one just to find out bike doesn't run and I have to rebuild the motor from the ground up. I will, sooner or later, try to find an OK stock set to throw on there and see how it runs. Carbs will get a rebuild too, no matter what.

Thanks for all the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
Hey Doug,
Welcome to the board. I see that you have a handle on modern sport bikes, but how much experience do you have riding 30 year old bikes? They are different in all aspects of handling, brakes and comfort. I would recommend that you use the search function here since CB750s have been discussed many many times. We have several actual experts here that you would do well to listen to even if you choose to do something different. Many have been owning, riding, racing and rebuilding these things since they were new. If you have also, then jump in and share your wisdom.
To be honest, riding for 18 years means you probably started on a 1990 era bike and picking up a pair of Honda 400 Automatics and a non-running, parts missing, CB750 does not speak volumes to me about your knowledge of older Hondas. The pictures of your street fighter and track day bike and your earlier posts also don't lead me to suspect that you have a bunch of experience with older bikes and cafe bikes in particular. Because of that, if I were to give you advice about your choices, I would have started out with some very basic advice which you may have taken as condescending and obvious.
Again, welcome to the board, good luck with the CB750(they are never as easy to get running as you think they should be) and I'll be interested to see what you do with the CB400As. They were an interesting bike when they came out albeit a little slow with questionable handling and brakes.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Hey Doug,
Welcome to the board. I see that you have a handle on modern sport bikes, but how much experience do you have riding 30 year old bikes? They are different in all aspects of handling, brakes and comfort. I would recommend that you use the search function here since CB750s have been discussed many many times. We have several actual experts here that you would do well to listen to even if you choose to do something different. Many have been owning, riding, racing and rebuilding these things since they were new. If you have also, then jump in and share your wisdom.
To be honest, riding for 18 years means you probably started on a 1990 era bike and picking up a pair of Honda 400 Automatics and a non-running, parts missing, CB750 does not speak volumes to me about your knowledge of older Hondas. The pictures of your street fighter and track day bike and your earlier posts also don't lead me to suspect that you have a bunch of experience with older bikes and cafe bikes in particular. Because of that, if I were to give you advice about your choices, I would have started out with some very basic advice which you may have taken as condescending and obvious.
Again, welcome to the board, good luck with the CB750(they are never as easy to get running as you think they should be) and I'll be interested to see what you do with the CB400As. They were an interesting bike when they came out albeit a little slow with questionable handling and brakes.

Ken
ah, thank you for the warm welcome. You are correct...I have no knowledge of these old bikes...thus why I turn to the internet...and boards like this, to learn as much as I can. I will never profess to know anything I do not. Typically, when I do spout any kind of knowledge, it will be from self taught, learned the hard way, actual experience. I am also smart enough to know, that any issue I come upon with this project, someone, in a place like this, will probably know how to fix/solve/get around it.

I actually started on a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 450...that was my first motorcycle. Ran like a top, and did a great job as a first motorcycle.

As far as this project, at the end of the day, its still two wheels, front and back suspension, a frame and motor. If anything, I am hoping it will end up being easier to figure out things...gotta be easier than troubleshooting modern day ECU control wiring nightmares....we shall see.

Feel free to give what ever advice you see fit....and not to let the retorts between Geeto and myself dissuade you in any way.

Thanks
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top