Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
hey man,

I have plenty of cb750 tanks you can bash up and I am always looking for stock paintwork tanks in good condition. If you want to work a trade (I also have a stockpile of cb750 parts and such) let me know.

your tank is not a 1971 tank. Although all 1969-1976 tanks share the same shape, there are differences. If I had to guess I would say your tank is either 1975 or 1976 based on the petcock location and the color scheme - most likely candy red that has faded slightly (or it could just be the pics).

usually I say stay away from projects like this but you say you have expirence so let the good times roll.

As far as the tanks fitting - all cb750 tanks fit all cb750 frames, the stock seats however only work with appropriate year tanks and the frames are specific to the seat (you cannot bolt a 1971 seat to your 1978 frame). If you use a stock 78 seat on that bike there will be about a 2-3inch gap between the end of the seat and the tank. If you are using a "custom" seat pan then this is really not an issue unless you plan on using stock mounts.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
BTW fill out your bio....

and although I said 78, 1977 and 1978 bikes are identical. I had 1978s on the brain when I typed before.

check out www.sohc4.net, espically the vendor FAQ on the forum. worth a read. You can also get a honda shop manual there for free.

BTW, I would check the front end of that bike. It makes me worry when I see one fo those fork ears busted off...makes me think the bike was hammered in the front (also that it is missing the front fender). Plus that right fork looks bent (could just be the camera). Still $150 for a frame with papers and an engine...good deal.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
agreed - 77-78. The 77-78 bikes used almost the same front end at the 73-76 cb750s. And all spoked wheel cb750s came from the factory with that little deflector...so Wanker pay up.

DougZ, Lets talk about your project for a second....I know it seems like you just want to buy parts and go crazy throwing money at this bike but if you plan your project you can avoid buying useless or unnecessary parts.

Right now, your focus should be on getting that engine running, which means you will need a clutch, clutch engine cover, exhaust, right side engine cover, carb parts, and the usual service (air and oil filters, fuel line, oil, etc...). Without a running engine you have an extremely expensive project instead of just a moderatly expensive one.

gauges, front fender, etc...that will all come later. if you are going to run a brace then you won't need a front fender, or you may want to go plastic, if you are going to run mini gauges or a gauge in headlight then you won't need stockers.

Pick a system of your bike and figure out what you want to do with it, sit down and put together a focused list of parts. you can change it later as things go but at least it will give you an idea of what to look for.

some things to think about:

1) wheels. Are you going to relace? new spokes? stainless? Alloy rims? The 77-78 cb750s run a wider spaced rear sprocket and 630 chain, you can get a 140 rear tire on there if you change the rim and can even get a 150 or (some) 160 if you convert to a specificly made 530 chain. Do I want to run dual disc up front? if so what will I do about a speedo? Do I want to run disc in the rear? if so how will I mount the master cylinder?

2) engine - does it smoke? is it sound? will it need a rebuild? if you have to rebuild it you might as well part out the bike - cb750 rebuilds cost usually about $2000 depending on what parts you need and how much labor you do yourself. just so you know the engine has to be pulled out of the frame for anything that is not an oil change or a valve adjustment so be prepared for that.

3) exhaust - stock pipes? 4 into 1? new or used? mac makes a decent cheap honda pipe new, Kerker makes the best performance pipe new but it is costly (almost $700).

as far as tanks, I have one or two 69-76 cb750 tanks lying around and a few cb750F supersport tanks. both will work as long as you don't care about the seat and are going to go custom anyway.

BTW, I just noticed you are missing all the electrics for that bike as well...The starter solenoid is there but the regulator, rectifier, etc... is missing. also missing is the mounting plate for said electrics. You may want to look into how you are going to run the bike, if you are going to run modern electrics and do a blade fuse conversion or if you are going to stock electrics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts