Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Also so fun thing to look for: euro models came with a locking glovebox in the tail. If you want to repaint, might as well look for one of those since they are cool.
Thank you, I was scratching my head trying to figure out where the hell I can keep my registration and insurance on this thing. For not I have them in a tail bag I strap to the passenger seat. But if I want to go ride without it, then I have to carry that stuff on me. Also I agree about the decals, they just look out of place.

Other than name, is there a difference between the CB900F Super Sport and the Bol d'Or?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've been trying to figure out how to address my lack of functioning speedo issue. I think I have a solution but i figured I should ask the gang here if it is even possible.

Found a GPS based speedo on Amazon that should be the same size as the factory speedo. My idea is that I can just remove the factory speedo, and replace it with this one, wire it in and be done. Not sure if I can remove the speedo from the Gage cluster or if its all one unit. I know it will not look quite right, but I would rather have a functioning speedo than none at all

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F82V7F5/?coliid=IRWZQY7VE5TMR&colid=3NH2SCL63ZKH3&psc=0

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've been trying to figure out how to address my lack of functioning speedo issue. I think I have a solution but i figured I should ask the gang here if it is even possible.

Found a GPS based speedo on Amazon that should be the same size as the factory speedo. My idea is that I can just remove the factory speedo, and replace it with this one, wire it in and be done. Not sure if I can remove the speedo from the Gage cluster or if its all one unit. I know it will not look quite right, but I would rather have a functioning speedo than none at all

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F82V7F5/?coliid=IRWZQY7VE5TMR&colid=3NH2SCL63ZKH3&psc=0
It has been a long time since I stripped one, but as I recall, the speedo is more or less a conventional complete unit but instead of its own external housing, it is bolted inside one larger binnacle. It should be possible to fit the GPS unit inside of that common housing but it will take some ingenuity and the odometer from stock is in the middle of the cluster, so that should be blanked off/removed as well.

I would see if you can split the stock unit to see what's inside and if that isn't readily possible think about a complete speedo/tacho etc unit to replace the complete cluster or keep the stock unit.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Thank you, I was scratching my head trying to figure out where the hell I can keep my registration and insurance on this thing. For not I have them in a tail bag I strap to the passenger seat. But if I want to go ride without it, then I have to carry that stuff on me. Also I agree about the decals, they just look out of place.

Other than name, is there a difference between the CB900F Super Sport and the Bol d'Or?
There is a small triangular stash tube on the US models below the side covers. Door is on the left side and uses your ignition key to open. That's where we keep the reg/ins on my brothers '79.

Bol d'or is just a decal kit, but depending on the market some came standard with the hondaline touring fairing. It's a French race so Honda didn't think the name would have any meaning to us savage Americans.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There is a small triangular stash tube on the US models below the side covers. Door is on the left side and uses your ignition key to open. That's where we keep the reg/ins on my brothers '79.

Bol d'or is just a decal kit, but depending on the market some came standard with the hondaline touring fairing. It's a French race so Honda didn't think the name would have any meaning to us savage Americans.
Ill look to see if that stash spot is on my 82'.

Personally I think Bol d'Or SOUNDS cooler than Super Sport. To me calling it a Super Sport lumps it in with all these crotch rockets that kids act a fool on. Bol d'Or just sounds like a riders bike, not a flip flop/ board short and tank top wearing douchebike, but hey he has a Helmet on so when he wrecks at least his family can identify him.

Side note: This is the first bike I have ever owned that people straight up rubberneck the hell out of. It is getting a tad annoying that everywhere I stop someone wants to have a 20 minute conversation about my bike. I mean it was cool at first, but now I just want to ride LOL

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I went to look for it in the parts fiche, and apparently it's molded into the rear inner fender, so as long as your rear inner fender forward of the tire is still intact it should be there. If you need a look at it you can see one in this ebay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/i/381361016331?chn=ps

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
or "roller door" which is what the aussies and cockneys call them.

that engine has been a Super Sport, a Nighthawk, an RC42, a Bol D'or, and in spirit a hornet and a "big One". The best name it has though is "reliable" (mostly)

BTW, here is the bracket for the rear tail glove box:
https://www.ebay.com/i/163642382076?chn=ps

and the lidded tail section:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CB900F-HONDA-OEM-REAR-COWL-KEYS-OFFER-STORAGE-FIT-ALSO-CB1100F-AND-CB750/163629433588?hash=item26191302f4:g:cjEAAOSwWz5cVcK7

here is where to get decals:
https://cbdecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?adminshopping=&cat_id=12&catname='cb900f'

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Geeto, your the man

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Saturday evening I noticed a small random backfire(not sure it could actually be considered a backfire, maybe more of a slight pop). My first thought is that I have a plug fouling out, but I have not had time to pull my plugs and check them, will likely just replace them anyway so I know when the most recent time was. But I got to thinking about it this morning, and I have come to two possible causes.

1. I filled the tank at a new gas station on Friday, always use premium non-ethanol, just found a station close to my work that has it. So possibly bad gas?

2. After doing some reading in other CB900 specific groups/forums I found that people run their idle at 1100-1200 rpm. Mine was set at about 800-900 from when I bought it. So I turned the idle up to about 1100 and went on about my business, that was Thursday. Normally I would not even consider this as a possible cause, but this bike has been Jetted with DynoJet. So I wonder if that could be why the idle was turned down? I turned the idle back down when i got to work this morning, so we will see.

On a side note, I racked my brain all weekend trying to figure out the cause and it was my short ride to work this morning that made those ideas pop into my head. Just proof that a ride makes one think more clearly!

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
The factory manual setting for the 900F idle is 8-900. People turn the idle up on the 900F (and most 1969-1983 large honda aircooled fours) because the bikes are "cold natured" and usually won't idle at all until warmed up if the ambient temp is below 60 degrees F. I have known guys who have installed remote idle adjustments on their bikes so they can turn the idle up on when cold and then turn it down when the bike is warmed up (and not just on hondas - I have one on my ironhead and dad has one on his fatboy).

Backfiring through the pipe is a sign that you are not getting a complete burn in the cylinder. Usually when you see these on DOHC it's a sign that something electrical in the ignition is about to go. The common fail points are the coils, pulse controllers, Reg/Rect, and stator. Bad wires can also cause this - esp if one has burned through.

- Coils: those will be easy to detect, just take them off and inspect them, look for cracks. Also warm the bike up and then take the tank off and run the thing in the dark, looking to see if the coil is arc-ing. Resistance at the coils should be around 3k ohms. If it is 5K ohms it's probably no good.

- Wires and caps. I believe the resistance in the stock plug wire cap should be between 5K ohms and 9K ohms. If they are beyond that then consider them burned out and replace them. Also check the resistance across the wire which is somewhere between 10K and 12K ohms per foot, anything over and replace them.

- Pulse controllers - eh I think there is a procedure in the manual for checking these.

- Regulator/Rectifier:

Don't forget to check your charging at the battery as well. Honestly though, if it was just a one off, wait and see if it happens again.

final thing about DynoJet kits - they are about 50% marketing, 30% improvement, and 20% bullshit. At one point dynojet put a stock bike on the dyno and re-jetted until they saw gains and then put that package together and sold it. They are not a replacement for actually dyno tuning your bike - It's just a jet kit to fix the emissions lean fuel settings from the factory. Do they work? sometimes, but if you are really after max performance you should just dyno tune the bike...after you install kehin CR's and a bassani pipe.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
When you are chasing down popping in the exhaust, don't forget the air cut valves. There to control popping on decel, but still shouldn't be excluded from the troubleshooting tree... could be leaking.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Turned idle back down to 800-900. Seems to be ok now but I will keep my ears open for it again.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Turned idle back down to 800-900. Seems to be ok now but I will keep my ears open for it again.
FYI - Idle should always be set hot not cold. don't know if you know that but if you set it 800-900 hot, it may not run cold off choke (or at all). If you set it 800-900 cold, it may idle at 1000-1200 when warmed up.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
FYI - Idle should always be set hot not cold. don't know if you know that but if you set it 800-900 hot, it may not run cold off choke (or at all). If you set it 800-900 cold, it may idle at 1000-1200 when warmed up.
Yea, I always adjust idle when hot. I haven't had much cold blood issues, beyond what I would expect from a 36 year old bike. But then its over 60 when I wake up every morning.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts