Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon fellas (and maybe some butch ladies), I'm a complete noob to everything on two wheels. Just scooped up an '82 Honda CM250 Custom. I f'ing hate the bars on it now, I need to swap them out for some clip ons (not clubmans because they are quite gay). Just need to know how I can find the fork size

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
IIRC 33mm. You can always check the size by going into your local bike parts store and asking what the fork seal inside diameter is - most parts books have that info.

Low bars are not what makes you gay or not - it is low bars without rearsets. uncomfortable riding positions are always gonna be gay.

if I recall your cm250 custom is a chopper looking thing, right? Rather than clipons or clubmans let me recommend a set of drag bars. Then strip all the crap off the bike that is unnecessary. a seat, some forks, and a motor ...yeah that is all you really need.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's kinda chopperesque. I picked it up yesterday and immediately ripped the luggage rack off the back, and did a little turn indicator shortening. Now the only problem is getting the beast running. She's got 4,700 miles on the clock, a brand new battery, and new sparkplugs. Just can't get her to start up, I'm thinking giving the carb a good cleaning should do the trick. I really love the whole cafe vintage race scene, so that's the style I'm going for. So far the list of mods is going to be adding on the cafe seat, the clip ons, and A LOT</u> of TLC. Since I can't seem to find a Clymers for my specific model, I have a feeling you guys will be helping me out quite a bit.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by parks61

contrary to the far right, being gay has nothing to do with what bars you choose.
-parks
sometimes it depends on the bar - like if you hang out at the gay bar chances are you are gay.

methinks you no longer have a sense of humor about this parks

·
Registered
306 Posts
the CM bikes aren't THAT bad...when you take all the shit off....i recently picked up a CM200T for my girlfriend to learn on, for 60 bucks (corrosion on the ignition wire, fixed in about 5 mins)

...i put most of the stock cb125 stuff (that i was gonna throw away anyway) on it...so it's got cb125 fenders, handlebars, and seat....it looks ok now...check it out...lowering the forks in the triples and going with a 12.5-13" shock will greatly improve the stance as well...

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I agree with Geeto, I think the CM might look better as a Bobber rather than cafe. A set of drag bars and longer shocks might change the stance enough that it would look cool. To go cafe will require a fair amount of body parts changing, such as tank, seat and fenders. If you have the parts or access to them then that is another story.

Ken

·
Registered
306 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Low bars are not what makes you gay or not - it is low bars without rearsets. uncomfortable riding positions are always gonna be gay.
that reminded me...are you trying to tell us something with this bike geeto? does your girlfriend know about this?

ps- i'm just f-ing with you. i know this is probably far from finished and one of your many projects...but hey, you posted it, for the world to see.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
please by all means take pot shots...maybe it will convince me to get off my ass and finish that bike. and you gotta admit a 1974 two stroke with sport bike suspension looks hot, even if the front end is gay like the joker in the first batman movie.

it is not the "Cm" you have to worry about it is the "custom" which is honda's way of telling the world "look out this is a badass factory chopper".

you can read all about them here:
http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0250/custom/custom.htm

I think your build ethos should be WWMMD....as in What Would Max Max Do? remember factory choppers make the baby jesus cry.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fever, thanks for the Nighthawk ideas, that really put my mind to work on what could be done up. I plan on custom fabbing a seat with some of the other members posts as a starting line and swapping to the CB fenders. I also know the stance and riding position both need quite a bit of work, so I'm going to lower the forks and hopefully find a set of rearsets that I could add on. I sure as hell don't want to make baby Jesus cry, that little guy is so cute when he's happy.

This is my first project bike, so we're going to see how budgeting goes I picked it up for $200 and a bottle of Midleton Irish Whiskey, so that's a good start. I plan on completing it for about $1000-1200. The only thing that concerns me is switching the tank, I don't know how big a pain in the ass that'll be, or where I'll be able to find a reasonably priced one. A buddy of mine works in a paint and body shop so getting some dings out and some nice color on there won't be a problem. Any advice on the tank or rearsets?

·
Registered
74 Posts
[...]
you can read all about them here:
http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0250/custom/custom.htm
[...]
Oh my, from the ^^^website above^^^ "Two color options were available: Candy Muse Red with Candy Antares Red and Cosmo Black Metallic with Gray Metallic "

quote:
remember factory choppers make the baby jesus cry.....
Laughing out Loud at that one, hope you don't mind me adding it to my compendium of borrowed phrases :)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
nobody else finds it interesting that these bikes were largely BELT DRIVE? (except the first year).

A belt drive cafe racer that isn't an HD.....hmmmmmmm

and feel free to take any phrases you like....since easter is the weekend coming up I have been using the "...makes baby jesus cry" line for all sorts of things. Two nights ago I had a buddy convinced I quit drinking and found religion all the way until I said "Vodka makes the baby jesus cry" - then we went out for drinks...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mudmonkey

that reminded me...are you trying to tell us something with this bike geeto? does your girlfriend know about this?

ps- i'm just f-ing with you. i know this is probably far from finished and one of your many projects...but hey, you posted it, for the world to see.
I am a slow tard. I didn't get it the first time I read it that you were pointing out that the bike has clipons and stock pegs. Well funny you shoud bring that up because the rearsets are exactly why that project has not progressed one inch in the last 2 years. I have a really nice set of 2002 R6 rearsets for that bike, and I took them to a "pro" welder to have mounts attached. First, the mounts he made were not straight, not a god damn one. Second, he used electrical conduit to make them. Not structural.

I am going to have them redone this year with a system that I designed which may not be pretty but will work and be fully adjustable.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the kwaka 350 that dreg has been working on is belt drive. its some 80's thing also. a twin. almost a cb clone.

jc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts