Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You have to be careful with humor. European humor is different. You could be looked upon a a genuine troll.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
What's the fig bucking "L" sticker on the front of your modern bike?

Between that and those horrendous license plates you're probably down 20 mph on top(don't know how much in metric).

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
im over there and its boring

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by KeninIowa

What's the fig bucking "L" sticker on the front of your modern bike?

Between that and those horrendous license plates you're probably down 20 mph on top(don't know how much in metric).
Ha ha, that's my eldest son's Benelli moped with the L (Learner) sticker. What license plates, the British ones? I don't know how much that is in metric either, I'm British don't you know, not european.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I thought England went metric. Which is why their bikes are so fast.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by jaguar

im over there and its boring
Ah, so that was also you Jaguar, I thought I recognised your Honda 750.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

I thought England went metric. Which is why their bikes are so fast.
Yeah, you're right we did around 1972 but for some reason speedometers and speed signs are still in mph but we buy petrol in litres [V]:(

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I was over in Ireland in the 70s. Went into a hardware store to get some nails. There was a guy looking at some 1"X 8" board. "How much is this board?" "Its 2 pound 76 per metre sir" "Great! Can I have 8 foot p;ease?" The salesman didn't blink. Measured off 8 feet no problem. I had a bit of a laugh.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was younger I was a toolmaker and we constantly had to convert between metric and imperial from the same drawing just to make up the same piece of kit. This became the norm especially after just having converting from pounds, shillings and pence to the metric system in 1972.

One pound originally consisted of 20 shillings, and a shilling was made up of 12 pence (therefore 140 pence to the pound), but now there was 100 pence to the pound. Much easier you think... not to my Grandparents, they were still converting until they died in the 1990s.

Then low and behold what pops up, the bloody Euro!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Throw in a tanner, thruppence, bob, and half a crown and screw up the younger ones.

P.S. How to screw up an American who just got his first job in Ireland. Ask him to deduct 5 1/2 percent from a bill that totals 119 pounds 17/9.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha ha ha, oh and don't forget the farthings (4 to the penny) bit before my time though. Bloody nightmare. A £ in copper could put a hole in your pocket!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
My parents were emigrants from Ireland and my Dad told me when his father died he was pulled from school and apprenticed as a plasterer. His first year apprentice pay was three farthings an hour! Hard to belive. His second year pay went to a penny farthing an hour.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's getting on for nearly a florin a day in his second year...good times :D

I recall my first pay packet in in 1978 was £7 as a first year apprentice, and that's about how much pocket money my missus gives me now.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
When I went over to Ireland in '67 my first job paid 9 pounds a week. With 10/- for two hours overtime. I just read something that said (and I could be quite wrong on this) people in Ireland earning 210 euros a week or less are classified as living in poverty. I know times have changed but Wow!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
God yeah, they're having a real hard time of it now with owing to the Euro union, IMF and whoever else.

210 euros sounds a lot but when you consider that a gallon of petrol is over £6 and this is typical of other everyday consumables, which is much the same as the UK, it's understandable how a working family man could easily fall into the poverty trap.

Sadly, I've got a feeling this is catching worldwide.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm retired now and what I get here wouldn't keep me alive over there now. I talk to a friend over there regularly and it sounds like they are really in the shit. But the sun shines in SoCal so I'm happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts