Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my CB550 and took some of the money and got a 750 Bonneville. I'm going to keep it relatively stock but give it a nice make over. My only problem is that I don't really know to much about British bikes or where to get the stock parts. Any leads on good websites or books would be nice. Here is the only pic this far.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
what parts does it need?

looks to me like it has too many parts already

and the pipes/muffler? things would have to go ASAP

Cycle Shack pipes for Triumphs are about as ugly as they get

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
british cycle supply.

don hutchinson cycles in wakefield mass will mail you anything. check the links page hes closely tied to the owners of the site. and a fucking cool, weird dude.

locally in pa im not sure but when tex gets back he may know.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh yeah, get s decent set of whitworth wrenches, youll need em!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Shouldn't be any Whtiworth on a Triumph that age. All SAE.

·
Registered
123 Posts
lessons i learned building my first brit bike: get the work shop manual and parts manual, become familiar with british only and british cycle supply. i agree with hacka', lose the pipes, get stock ones (or a set of TT's...they look cooler). get an electronic ignition like a boyer or sparx. when its time for overhauling the motor, get the checkbook out and spend some money, don't do it cheaply. and one of the most important things: find a person locally who can help you. british bikes are full of little things that will confuse and confound even the best mechanics. triumphs like a little TLC, i would consider cuddling it at night if it helps it run:D

·
Registered
699 Posts
park it in your living room or dining room...i heard brit bikes like that.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Oh you are axing for it Mr Man. Right now there are only Harleys in my living room but other days have had it full of Triumphs and others too.

every now and then they go to the dying room too

Reality....... Triumphs are much less complicated than most all of the cammer Japanese engines

really they are very simple and quite easy to work on

I guess there is plenty of info on the net posted but the trouble with that is so much is misinfo and you never know who is posting it

I've only built one CB750 and can't imagine anyone paying me enough money to do another considering what the lump is worth when done

yet I know plenty of youngsters do it all the time

me...... I'd just go buy another 400 dollar CB and hope at the worst it only needed a top end

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My living room doesn't look like that, it doesn't have an EXIT sign.
It doesn't have my bike collection in it either.

FR

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
brent,

congrats.....

contact hermy's in port clinton, pa. herm senior has been around for awhile. he also owns her-dan (the delorto importer, among others).

best of luck.

tex

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Brent- Congrats, you'll have fun. The learning curve is not as steep as some people make it out to be, I think. I assume you bagged out of the idea of a new Triumph. Not that there not nice bikes, but good call. You've got an old Bonnie, You OWN it (not the bank), you can play with it, have fun and it will always be worth something.

Hacka- Thanks. Now the the next time the Mrs. gets frustrated with me when I have too much shit lying around, I can show her photographic evidence that it could be much, much worse. And what is up with the exit sign? Really tough fire regs in TN?

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Oh yeah Leo, you could always have her chat with my gal for a spell and she isn't into bikes at all

imagine her shock and horror the first time she visited but instead of running she decided I needed her

when I bought this place it had been remodeled for home health care and I guess I forgot to take down the exit things

not a bad thing since it's like a maze and the good thing is it's handicap accessible and all on one level

so it's not a problem to put even a long bike in one of the bath rooms

but I did put in a big water heater, tub/shower, and knocked down a few walls

FR....... I wouldn't call those my "collection"....... just some that would like some time in the shop across the street

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

FR....... I wouldn't call those my "collection"....... just some that would like some time in the shop across the street
Got it. Your living room is the staging area for the shop, the "waiting room". Cool.

FR

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah man and I have an actual real living room of sorts in the other side of the place

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
brent,

don't forget to install some "sweet, bar end mirrors" on your bike.

i hear they are the "rage" with the triumph crowd.

sorry, i couldn't resist.

texy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pretty easy bike to work on once you learn the basics. Not sure what year yours is but my 73 is still positive earth and right side shift. Takes some getting used to but ohhhhhh so fun when they are purring along.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Guys, I haven't really had time to work on it yet. I bought a XS650 the week before and started on that on first. I just want a nice bike to cruise around on. No clip ons rearsets. I keeping that big ass seat too. I want confortability for once. All the ugly shit is coming off soon and it will look good. First job is to get the tank mount kit and get it running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts