Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else buy themselves birthday presents? I do every year, mostly because every year I get ties or socks or something.

So I had one of the old mercury filled motion pro carb sync gauges and I accidentally let all the mercury out last year.

Anyway enter this:

It is a Morgan carbtune pro. It used to be to get one you had to find someone in England to ship it to you, but the company just started shipping to the states this year. Finally I can sync carbs again. Huzzah!

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
nice. i was about to buy one for the CBX

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
nice. i was about to buy one for the CBX

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Any advantage over the older style vacuum gauge setup??? I never liked the merc units for the reason of the fluid could get dumped out accidentally.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Any advantage over the older style vacuum gauge setup??? I never liked the merc units for the reason of the fluid could get dumped out accidentally.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all you want to know about the unit is here:

http://www.carbtune.com/

bare bones it is about $100, but I bought the case and the extra adapters to do suzuki and honda.

I had a snap-on digital one at one of the shops I worked at and it was awesome but it was the shop's tool and I couldn't take it with me when I left. I asked Snapon/mac/matco but none of them make or sell them anymore and haven't in like 5 years.

bmartin - I don't know about you but I used one of those round vaccum gauge setups and it was noticeably inaccurate. The morgan is supposed to be very accurate.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
all you want to know about the unit is here:

http://www.carbtune.com/

bare bones it is about $100, but I bought the case and the extra adapters to do suzuki and honda.

I had a snap-on digital one at one of the shops I worked at and it was awesome but it was the shop's tool and I couldn't take it with me when I left. I asked Snapon/mac/matco but none of them make or sell them anymore and haven't in like 5 years.

bmartin - I don't know about you but I used one of those round vaccum gauge setups and it was noticeably inaccurate. The morgan is supposed to be very accurate.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I took a peek on ebay for one of these units and I found two in the 114 dollar range. I'm sure with additional adapters they run a little more. My current gauge (4x4 dial) seems accurate enough to get the job done. No doubt the Morgan has more features over the round vacuum gauges. About the only advantage I read is they damper the readings a little better.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I took a peek on ebay for one of these units and I found two in the 114 dollar range. I'm sure with additional adapters they run a little more. My current gauge (4x4 dial) seems accurate enough to get the job done. No doubt the Morgan has more features over the round vacuum gauges. About the only advantage I read is they damper the readings a little better.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The vacuum gauge setup I used had horrible leaks in the gauge itself. It was one of those really cheap kits that used to litter ebay about 10 years ago.

it is a vaccum gauge, I can't imagine there are "features" other than it reads vacuum but the construction is high quality.

the only other one I have fiddled with is the tecmate vacuummate. At $615 though you can keep it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The vacuum gauge setup I used had horrible leaks in the gauge itself. It was one of those really cheap kits that used to litter ebay about 10 years ago.

it is a vaccum gauge, I can't imagine there are "features" other than it reads vacuum but the construction is high quality.

the only other one I have fiddled with is the tecmate vacuummate. At $615 though you can keep it.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I built a manometer with some clear hose zip tied to a strip of alloy. A dash of fork oil and away you go. Cost next to nothing and works better than any guages I've used over the years.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

Geets - if the slides ever get stuck, don't try and "clean" the tubes with brake cleaner......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts