Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's not a bike but in some ways this is even better. i was up in winnsboro early this morning buying a lathe/mill i found in our local paper when i saw a familiar looking hubcap peeking out from under a tarp, it ended up being attached to my #1 dream car of all time, a 50 ford tudor. body is solid and it has the original flathead v-8 and an overdrive trans. i asked the guy what he wanted for it, he told me "800 bucks and get it outta here today". needless to say i ended up buying a car and not a lathe mill. i got it home, poured a little gas into the carb float bowl, put the battery from the wifes caravan in and that sucker fired right up!. it needs MAJOR work to make it drivable but it's all original and it's all there including the original jack and an original owners manual. needless to say for the near future my bike projects will be put off. also, does anyone here know anything at all about the flatheads? this is my first one and i want to build it right. geez i cant wait till i can start working on stuff again.

fat people are harder to kidnap

Edited by - fuzzybutt on Jul 04 2007 2:43:09 PM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Sounds like an awesome score. $800 for a running vintage anything. I've passed up similar deals because I have too many things going and not enough space. I've regretted not acting on a few of them too.
Good on you for taking it home!

FR

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts

Wasn't that one of the cars Robert Mitchem drove in that famous moonshine movie "Thunder Road"?

Hey...the 50 ford was orginally a 6v system...did someone switch it over to 12v? You can put three strombergs on that V8 and it will go like hell. The Flatty Ford V8 was an absolute favorite of hotrodders back in the day. It's a great engine and you should still be able to find all kinds of neat stuff for it. I'd build it into a replica of the Thunder Road car.
JohnnyB

Watch the 50 Ford Tudor in action here:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/moonshine,-moonshine,-to-quench-the-devil.s-thirst/thunder-road-265081.php

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
dude, love the 50 ford. I almost bought one 5 years ago and regretted passing on that.

Flatheads are ok but they are not real speed motors. More for looks than anything else. The design is way inefficient. You want real old hot rodding mill get yourself a cadillac 390 ci (same one that powered the 59' eldorado) with 3 deuces. A friend of my father had a 51 merc with that motor in it that he built in 1959, and I used to have a full on crush for that car - was the fastest and best sounding thing I had ever seen.

If I were to build a 1949-51 ford today. It would have a either a 390 caddy or a 392 hemi, 3x2 or even 6 stromberg 97s, lesalle manual trans (for the caddy motor - otherwise a 904 chrysler 4 speed), 9" ford rear, blackwalls on police wheels with dog dish hubcaps, in car cutouts, and a gutted interior (thin aluminum door panels etc) with 4 WWII bomber buckets. Spray the whole car gloss midnight blue and the bare interior red.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Back when I worked at Boston Cycles in the early seventies, I saw a 55 Willys station wagon w/plow in a gas station. When I opened the hood there was a flathead V8 in there. Turned out to be a 49 Merc motor. I rebuilt it and had it for about 15 years. That thing would plow snow from a dead idle and never had to use low range. I got a Mallory distributor for it and I had aluminum heads, twin and triple carb manifolds w/strombergs but they never got put on. Finally sold it all :-(

FC

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Really nice score!! Flatties can be made to fly. There are tons of repop and original parts out there. Unfortnately Bobby Meeks (flathead god) is no longer with us. But Edlebrock still makes manifolds and 97s are being reproduced. Edlebrock (Ithink) is making a throttle body that looks like a 97. Isky cams are still available (404D grind). God I'm jealous. Now you'll have to grow a DA and get lots of pomade.

P.S. In 1957 Bobby Meeks built a flattie for Jazzy Nelson's Fiat coupe. Jazzy put his special floatless 97s on it and on 100% he ran an 8.97. So yes, flatties can fly.

Edited by - Hoofhearted on Jul 04 2007 11:56:44 PM

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
And sign up.

Shot at 2007-07-04

Edited by - Hoofhearted on Jul 05 2007 02:21:31 AM

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 05 2007 09:09:15 AM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think Fuzz's new car should be the official CafeRacer.Net Mobile.

Get a bunch of the Wankers to follow you on their race bikes and they can oil the road down good so the cops can't catch you.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
108 Posts
They can go fast. If you rebuild it, head bolt torque and tightening order is very important on a flathead..lest you blow a head gasket.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
You wanna know the best way to make a flathead fast? make the car it is in lighter. A really hot street flathead is maybe gonna push 300hp, maybe, and will take a lot of green to get there. Remember some of these flatties made 65hp from the factory (most of our bikes make more than that). The 1950 flattie made 100 hp stock, was 239ci, had a 6.8:1 comp ratio, and ran a two barrel carb. The same year mercurys were 255ci, used 4" stroker cranks, and dual downdraft carbs for a whopping increase of......10hp.

If you are into engines, they are just a bad design. Getting intake and exhaust charges to turn 180 degrees is not the most efficient way to do things. Sure they were cutting edge for 1932 but even by 1950 they were outdated, that is why guys like Zora Arkus Duntov made things like the Ardun head and overhead valve conversions for those motors.

The only reason to keep a flattie is nostalgia (and bragging rights) and personally there are plenty of nostalgia motors that would be correct for a 1950's hot rod that are much better motors, like:
early hemis (espically desoto firedomes), nailhead buicks, caddy 390s, Lincoln 430s, Pontiac 389s and 421s, Ford 312 interceptors, buick straight 8s, etc....

And flatties are not cheap to build by the way. Sure they have a pretty decent aftermarket, and you really can't beat the braggin rights of having a flathead (ranks right up there with hemis). If you have it in the car running, then use it while you fix up the rest of the car, but when it comes time to put some long green in the engine bay, just keep in mind that dollar per hp, the flattie may not be the cheapest bang for the buck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
jalopyjournal is the site where you can check the hamb. they're assholes though, so introduce yourself first and do searches before asking questions.

olskoolrodz is a more friendly forum but still full of assholes. they don't have much of a "tech" forum but still some knowledgeable folks.

honestcharley could be a good place to get some speed parts, era correct too. but i bet there are plenty more.

i think the hamb's got a few "bibles" to recomend for flaties. you'll make ok horses (21nuts right?) but it aint going to be no sbc or olds rocket.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the flathead is going to get built, reliable, not too hot, i have an 8.8" ford rearend that a shop in town can convert to bolt right into the ford. it has been converted to 12 volt and has a mallory dual point distributor on it. black with the original dog dish hubcaps and factory wheels will be staying on. i already have a set of fenton headers. this will be a long slow process as i havent gotten back to work yet. i hope to have it ready to go for the turkey trot in daytona beach the week of thanksgiving. wonder if i can get a bellhousing to work with a t-5.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
217 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.
Those cars are sick when chopped about 4''...

ProTeal55
Member: Ton-Up Club Chicago
1974 CB/CL450 Cafe/Bar/Stripclub Racer
1955 Chevrolet Bel-Air Hardtop

·
Registered
576 Posts
Check out Motorcity Flatheads. They can make 'em reliable or flat out stupid fast. Speedway Motors has a ton of flatty stuff as well. Right on keeping the flatty!

Gas Right, Brake Left

·
Registered
194 Posts
enough shit talk like "i'm gonna do this and i'm gonna do that"......

show us some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

1 - 20 of 46 Posts