Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a legal question. There was a guy on the CLhonda yahoo site, that posted some CL350 parts that I wanted as backups for my race bike. I paid him $60 with a postal money order that he cashed the end of June. You guessed it, no parts have yet arrived at my door.

This really sucks as I have had many many clean deals with other motorcyclists. He was knowledgeable about the bike and parts so I figured he wasn't "trolling".

Anybody know if I have any recourse thru the Post Office system? My PO is podunk and not helpful.

Anybody in Alberqueque that can break a leg, or arm???

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I've heard that if payment is made with a postal money order and product isn't forthcoming that one can be prosecuted for mail fraud...because they knowingly cashed a US Postal MO.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I agree,your half of the money order should have some details on it some where and would look on postal web site good luck.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - LiLBull on Aug 18 2007 08:25:44 AM

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's why I like to pay using Paypal or credit card whenever possible. It's so much easier in the event something goes South.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
you have to be careful using paypal as they have no real recourse if you dont get your stuff. most people dont take credit cards. and when you pay through paypal, if you notice your bank statement, it says paypal payment. so as far as banks are concerned, you are paying paypal. which you are. so you can get screwed there too. a while back there were a bunch of complaints about it on the web. it all comes down to trust basically. if you have the guys snail mail address....post it up here. also, i pretty much always like to talk to someone...so at least i have a phone number. and i can see why for 60 bucks your po doesnt care. they could be missing out on something waay bigger though.

jc

·
Registered
687 Posts
don't rely on paypal to reimburse you for unsent or broken items. reimbursement involves a bureaucracy that counts on you giving up before you get your money. a friend of mine who buys and sells regularly on ebay recouped $200 out of nearly $2000 lost last year in bad transactions.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Best way to use paypal is to use your credit card rather than bank balance. If you notice how hard paypal tries to convince you to use your bank account....it's because if you use your credit card via paypal...and you don't get your merchandise you just reverse the charges and paypal has to eat it, or follow up on their own. Remember, most credit cards allow charge backs for mechandise that doesn't arrive or is unsatifactory...and that applies even if there is a middle man like paypal.
If it's an amount under like $100 paypal doesn't want to take the time to dispute the charges so they just pay it, or go after the seller. The advantage of a credit card is the responsibility is on the SELLER to dispute your charge back....if he doesn't bother to fill out the paper work you get your money back.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You PO should be able to provide you with a form that you can send in to get details on when the MO was cashed and by who. If they are feeling really nice, they will give you the 1-800 number to get the info. Once you can document when the MO was cashed, you can request your PO start an investigation to determine if mail fraud has occurred. This is standard procedure for the PO and they should have guide lines on all of this there at the office. If not, check the USPS website.

On the flip side of the coin, it could be your seller has a different sense of urgency than you and mailed the stuff a few weeks after he got payment. It's not uncommon for parcel post to take 4 to 6 weeks from one side of the country to the other. Have you tried to contact him since you did the deal?

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts