Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<whine>
and they hate me.

I recommend that everyone on this list go to support.microsoft.com and download the spyware removal tool. Works very well.

I'm starting to think that all of the tools that you need in order to be both productive on a PC and protected from all the threats out there aren't too different from spyware. Not that they're tracking your every move, but that they do more harm than good.

I got 3 hours of sleep last night trying to rebuild my Win2K development server after McAffee auto-update decided to completely fuck me up the ass. No lube, no reach-around, no nothing. Had to boot off the CD because even safemode wouldn't boot. Then had to go and reinstall all the DLLs that the boot off the CD screwed up... grrr.
</whine>

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rob,
I've never had a virus, and never run an installed virus protection program. I tried Norton... ONCE...those programs are crap and in my opinion only work well..or at all on the complete computer tyro that has no desire or knowledge to alter his machine from the state in which it was purchased from Dell.

Those program screw up more shit than they'll ever cure. They conflict with more shit, restrict more shit and fuck up more shit than any type of software except maybe quicktime on a pc.

I use the basic virus avoidance techniques explained by a thousand IT guys and I've never had a problem. I don't open attachments except .jpg, I don't DL crap, I don't accept files on disks except from equally knowledgable crackers and bootleggers. When I do DL, it's from L33t places like DirectConnection with good scanners. I run HARDWARE boot sector protection (an option in the CMOS setups) that warn whenever there is an attempted boot sector write.

I use Outlook EXPRESS...not the full version of Outlook...the capabilitiy limitations of Express actually HELP prevent email viruses, scripts, html bullshit etc. I could go on forever...I treat my computers like a motorcycle, I keep it clean, tuned up, and protected from idiots...I use it a lot.

And... I just DL'd the MS anti spyware program...yes it does seem like a nice piece of work... I set it up with minimal automatic functions...just a 2am scan each night...no auto DL of signitures etc...I'm giving a week or so to see how it behaves.

I use a hardware firewall (router), but a while back I installed a software firewall with some neat capabilites (Kerio I think it was). I wanted to check on what ports were being hit by the hacks, how often, etc. Some interesting data came out of it but the program was so damn intrusive it was a pain in the ass to use. Even put up a warning box when one piece of software tried to access another. Also screwed up some of my gaming which depends on a lot of open port access. Still cool to see the intrusion attempts..although they all got stopped at the hardware firewall anyway.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:
Rob,
I've never had a virus, and never run an installed virus protection program. I tried Norton... ONCE...those programs are crap and in my opinion only work well..
Oh I'm the same way. Its just that I have a ton of customer data on my system, and I'd hate to have passwords or something snagged by spyware. I could be sued if someone hacked a site after getting the info from me because I didn't protect my systems.

I have a Linksys firewall with an encrypted wireless lan (even though I live in the sticks). That stops 99% of the attacks. I used to have a linux server hosting my email and website in my office, but so many people tried to hack it I finally decided to spend the $10/month for someone else to deal with that.

I have an old win98 system that I use to play games. Funny to school script kiddies in DayofDefeat on a AMD650MHz and Direct3d in 400x300 mode.... old video card can't handle openGL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts