Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cafe350

Maybe if soccer players were allowed to fistfight from time to time it would be cooler...but then it would be like hockey, and we already have hockey, so what's the point?

In defense of American football: Yes, there is a pause between each play, instead of the almost constant back and forth action found in hockey, soccer and basketball. The use of "downs" sets up different scenarios that require different strategies. The way those strategies are employed is a much more cerebral endeavor than the beer, car and E.D. commercials would lead you to believe. It's more of a chess match. Sure, there's strategy in other sports -line changes in hockey, or "get the ball to the guy with the shoe contract" in basketball -but you really can't watch those strategies develop from your La-Z-boy the way you can with football.
surely you don't suggest that strategy in american football is subtler than that of rest-of-the-world football? I cringe and giggle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 Borz.

Soccer+fistfights sounds like half-assed rugby. Hockey minus the pads and soccer plus the fistfights, and you're getting close.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 Borz.

Soccer+fistfights sounds like half-assed rugby. Hockey minus the pads and soccer plus the fistfights, and you're getting close.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

surely you don't suggest that strategy in american football is subtler than that of rest-of-the-world football? I cringe and giggle.
That's what I like about the WC level of play. You can see the plays developing pretty well, stretching out the defense and poking holes and making runs. Its like when you go to a baseball game, you can sit there and watch the defense make changes depending on whose on base and where and what pitch is going to be thrown.

Germany vs Australia... the Germans making diagonal runs with one touch passes was impressive to watch.

And BIG PROPS to the Mexican ref for giving the Germans two yellow cards for diving. Awesome.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

That's what I like about the WC level of play. You can see the plays developing pretty well, stretching out the defense and poking holes and making runs. Its like when you go to a baseball game, you can sit there and watch the defense make changes depending on whose on base and where and what pitch is going to be thrown.

Germany vs Australia... the Germans making diagonal runs with one touch passes was impressive to watch.

And BIG PROPS to the Mexican ref for giving the Germans two yellow cards for diving. Awesome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

Just because there's strategy doesn't make it fun to watch. 5 second of play (at most), 2 minutes of video replay, then a few commercials... fuck that.
And its a front for homosexuality, men piling on top of each other, spaking, showering together, "going deep". Not that there is anything wrong with it, its just not my scene.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Simply stating, Spif, that football is comprised of a greater variety of situational playcalling... Passing plays. Running plays. Kicking plays. Special teams plays.
The calling of said plays is dictated by field position, amount of time on the clock, and the strengths/weaknesses of the opposing team. For me, it's more entertaining to watch (and predict) that kind of play-calling, than to watch two teams play cat and mouse all day.

The offensive unit vs. defensive unit scenario in football sets up a different dynamic than in sports where both teams are playing offense and defense at the same time. Turnovers, for example, are fewer but tend to have a more significant impact when they do occur.

As for football being more "subtle", I never said such a thing. But don't even try to tell me that a wide reciever's route running doesn't require as much precision and athleticism as a soccer player's running and passing. And as for that old, tired stereotype of soccer players running the whole game? BULLSHIT. Looks to me like they spend as much time trotting around half-assed as they do making hard runs toward the goal.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
trotting around half-assed 25% of the time with plenty of hard sprinting interspersed for 90 minutes is a lot harder than it looks. try it sometime.

unga, i thought refs were mostly good on the germany/aussie game. but the booking in the portugal/cote d'ivoire game yesterday was a joke. uruguayans...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
when I was in high school all the faggots played lacrosse. Not that it really pertains to this conversation but someone mentioned lacrosse earlier so I would point that out.

Personally I don't watch a sport that has been on strike in my lifetime, so really I watch a lot of comedy central when it is a game night - or I work on bikes, or my art, or something more productive.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Spif, I've played soccer. Not all that well, and not in a long, long time. Never said it was easy, and I respect professional athletes in any sport. But Unga's insinuation that football is "make a play, wait five minutes" all day long is crap.

We can go back and forth on this 'till the cows come home, but all I'm really saying is that I prefer a sport with strategy, skill and occasional violence. Hence the affinity for hockey and football. Soccer doesn't do it for me...

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
do you guys have a sport called 'douchebag beating? if not why not?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
We do! But it's mostly played by tattooed college age boys, who were denied entry into respectable college fraternities (or those who knew better than to want to join one), and it's kept very underground. Played mostly in cool pubs & taverns that get "discovered" and become fashionable due to the working class ambiance & cool music to be found there, or where there's an especially good jukebox, or in underground music halls where patrons dye their hair vivid colors not normally associated with hair. It's not really a spectator sport. Catboy has played - and he's tried to get me into a game or two on occasion.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Lacrosse? Larcrosse? Who the freakinell said Lacrosse? Not only that, anyone that don't like American football either never played it or was too much of a little bed wetting pencil neck to ever get picked for sandlot.

Lacrosse. Christ on a stick!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

We do! But it's mostly played by tattooed college age boys, who were denied entry into respectable college fraternities (or those who knew better than to want to join one), and it's kept very underground. Played mostly in cool pubs & taverns that get "discovered" and become fashionable due to the working class ambiance & cool music to be found there, or where there's an especially good jukebox, or in underground music halls where patrons dye their hair vivid colors not normally associated with hair. It's not really a spectator sport. Catboy has played - and he's tried to get me into a game or two on occasion.
i'll plead ignorance. however, the stories do beat the hell of any high-school-football-glory-day musing you've ever heard.

...replete with scars proving it.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

judey, just a simple yes or no would have sufficed, i almost fell asleep reading that lot. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ung's just pissy because the cheerleaders always went for the football players.....not so much the geek who runs the film projector for biology class.

I played Football and wrestled from 3rd grade all thru college, tried Lacrosse and even soccer but can't bring myself to spend any time with mincing lillies pussying around in silk shorts and whining about taking a hit. Fucking pansies....

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Football is by far the best sport ever!!! ya know the football with 4 downs and everybody smashes into each other.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts