Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Joe C,
This sounds a lot like my XL600 bearing retainer. I too was baffled by this, so I axed one of the dudes that races these bikes how to remove it, and says he " just drill the punched spots enough so that they no longer hold the retainer in place, it won't take much..." then he says to me " I just make the tool to loosen and tighten the retainer out of some flat stock, I measure and drill through a scrap piece thats long enough to get some leverage on, and thread two bolts through just enough to seat in the notches on the retainer...." etc. etc.

Anyway, I did it and it works just fine, and it was quicker and more fun than buying an over-priced pin wrench from (insert your tool supplier here).

Hope this helps,

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Dude,

I shouldn't have said pin wrench, 'cause that's a slightly different tool, for using on a crenellated nut, like on a steering head retainer. What I meant is, take a piece of flat stock steel - 1/8 x 1 x 12 or so inches long. Lay it flat, centered over the retainer, mark the spots where the two opposite notches are, drill and tap the marked spots using a 3/16 or 7mm bolt (assuming either one would fit in the notch on the retainer). The tool should look like a flat piece of steel with two bolts threaded part way through.
Then using a fairly large bit, drill out the peened sections on the retainer, you shouldn't have to drill very deep at all, just enough to get past the punch marks. There's not a whole lot of torque on the retainer, so it won't take much effort once you've drilled the punch marks away. The tool is handy for when you put it back together though. BTW, the retainer has the axle seal in it.
If this is not correct, then never mind.
Havanice Day

FR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts