Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need alot of help. Im new and I cant figure out what I did. My Bike '78 cb400t - So... I got home from work all excited to switch out my new indicators after reading replies from you excellent people on how to mount them. I take off the original indicator snip the wires (with the ignition off) and I begin to try and figure out which wire is the ground, b/c both wires are the same, by touching both leads to the new indicator and then turning on the bike with the blinker switch on...nothing with the front. I snip the rear lamps and those work!!! I go back to the front, still nothing. What gives? At this point I look to see if there is a busted fuse, I doubt it cause that wouldn't make and sense being that the other lights are working but just to make sure I start taking them out, finding that nothing is wrong and replacing them from where they came. Just at that point the gauge cluster, the head lamp and all indicators TURN OFF. Pretty pissed at this point. I think its the battery so I test it. 12v FULL CHARGE! What's Going On HERE?!?!?!? I replaced the relay with a brand new one... and I cant think of anything else. HELLLLLLLLLLP!!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ok....lets start with the obvious:

did you original front signals have two wired or three? IIRC the front signals on hondas are also running lights which means that sometimes they have three wires - usually two for power and one for ground. If they have two wires then sometimes the body of the signal is the ground and the wires are both power.

Hopefully you have a manual with a wiring diagram because at this point you need to figure out which setup you have. If you don't then at the very least you have a long night ahead of you tracing wires to figure out what it is you are actually cutting.

"Sniping" wires is a really idiot thing to do, espically if you are working without a manual or no clue what you are actually cutting. All these wires have bullet connectors that disconnect in the headlight. Cutting and snipping is what butchers do and is how perfectly good bikes become ruined by newbies with too much excitement and too little research. If you are too lazy to take the headlight off and do the job properly then go punch youself in the nuts while repeating "I should not be allowed to work on bikes"....

...Ok I am being a little extreme here but....

in snipping wires you can often inadvertenly disconnect the bullet connector in the headlight. That in turn may cause a short and you could end up blowing a fuse. So why don't you openup the headlight and take a look at all the connections there. Clean them, make sure none have pulled out, and more importantly, make sure they were hooked up correctly in the first place.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
You edited that just to add "
...Ok I am being a little extreme here but....", didn't you...

Yeah, no need to snip wires. Buy some new bullet connectors at the hardware store, make up some leads for your new lights, and plug them in.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah...I threw that in there just to let the guy know that I was kinda joking....it is still a pretty bass akwards way of doing things but nobody seriously gets that upset over these things, I just like telling people to go punch themselves in the nuts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

yeah...I threw that in there just to let the guy know that I was kinda joking....it is still a pretty bass akwards way of doing things but nobody seriously gets that upset over these things, I just like telling people to go punch themselves in the nuts.
HAHA... the punch in the nuts thing did actually get me laughing... like just a little but I still laughed.

On so let me start from the begining. I have two wires only and I did eventually take the head light off which resulted in the same two wires being present. The bike was still running power long after the "snip" occured. I think it was more of me replacing fuses than snippin' wires. I have been hearing from alot of people that even though these fuses look ok, there is still a good chance that one or all of them are blown. I went to Autozone and picked up some new fuses. The more I thikn about it the more I remember a small amount of white fillament on the bottom of the top fuse which, would control the front turns.

I will get a chance to take a look when I get home from the Dodger game... I will let you know. I also have a brief ball slamming scheduled for right before I go to sleep. Im actually looking forward to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts