Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. In fact, I just found this place maybe a half hour ago. I knew it had to exist, though. Just a matter of finding it. Google -- it's a wonderful thing.

I've loved cafe bikes since they were the happening thing. Back when they were cutting edge. Yeah, I'm a graybeard, so what? Doesn't change the way I feel about 'em. I still think the cafe "look" is the coolest around.

I'm in the middle of a cafe project right now. The bike is a 1978 Yamaha XS650 E. I've just finished stripping it down to the frame and cutting all the stuff off the frame that doesn't have to be there. I'll be installing an XS750 fuel tank, cuz it has the "look", and a bumstop-style road race seat.

The motor's been rephased to 277 degrees. I've got a Wiseco 81mm (763cc) kit for it, 10:1 CR. Webcam 59 grind camshaft. VM36 roundslide Mikunis. Haven't decided on the ignition or exhaust systems yet.

The electric foot and centerstand are history, and I'll be running a smaller battery. Probably 30 lb of weight savings right there. I am making some concessions to comfort, though: no clip-ons or clubmans and no rearsets. I'll be going with a set of low-rise Euro-style bars and I'll keep the footpegs where they are.

Wanna see pics of what I've done so far? Check out my Cafe blog:

http://michaelmcbroom.com/blog/

So, I'm looking forward to this. I suspect I'll learn quite a bit from the folks here.

Best,

Michael

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm kind of the "furner" around here but from one old fart to another, welcome. There are some smart people here.(I'm not one of them!)

·
Registered
118 Posts
welcome aboard. Where did you get your low rise bars at?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
ct, always nice to here from another yamaha fan. sounds like a hella strong motor and with the more upright riding position it'll be a vintage hooligan. For that scene, Jemco high pipes would be bitch'n. cheers and have fun with it, bcr
[/img]

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I was over at Malcolm Smith's place at Christmas. This stopped me in my tracks when I walked in the door. Eddie Lawson's Yam. I wish I'd have found that under the Christmas tree!!

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2007-12-09

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
mmmmm...jemco high pipes...<homer simpson-esque gurgling noise>

Love the EL yammi but the one I lust for is his old TZ750 flattracker.

one of these days I really need to find that mustard yellow xs1 I have been lusting after.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by bcr

ct, always nice to here from another yamaha fan. sounds like a hella strong motor and with the more upright riding position it'll be a vintage hooligan. For that scene, Jemco high pipes would be bitch'n.
Yup. Jemco's about 2 miles from my house. Their pipes are front runners. A good friend of mine, Wally Wronka, has a set on his tracker -- looks a lot like those in the photo. As much as I like the looks of 'em, though, I'd rather go with a set of low pipes. Mostly cuz I don't see how I would avoid burning myself on those high pipes. I'm thinking about heading down there one day soon and have a chat with "Mr. Jemco" and see if he might have some photos of what his low pipes would look like.

Best,

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts