Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might remember my little Fire Ball Orange Suzuki T350 cafe racer I recently sold. Well, I immediately decided that I needed another small (less than 450cc) 1970's two-stroke. I stumbled across one on Craigs List, a 1975 RD350.

Now here's the kicker: The bike appearently was stolen a long time ago and has been sitting, forgotten in a Police warehouse somewhere in San Antonio(?) for the last 30 years. The bike has 1800 original miles on it. It is not running, but it has like-new compression, it is 100% all there, and it looks good -- all the chrome and shiny stuff is like new. the paint is faded and the seat is torn up, but I think it will polish up and look almost perfect!

Unbelievable for just $500, with a clean title too!

I just drove 2 hours to get it, and it should be running by tomorrow evening. I am so stoked! .... or should I sat "stroked!"

I will probably leave it stock for a little while as I finish up my hot rod cafe CB750, and then I will give this one some love. No pics yet, but it just looks like a nice, stock, orange (yes, I like orange) RD350.

Peace and grease
-fang

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't own a camera. I guess I should buy one, just for you guys. LOL! Actually I bought one last week and it should arrive in the mail sometime soon, a cannon SD850...
-fang

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't own a camera. I guess I should buy one, just for you guys. LOL! Actually I bought one last week and it should arrive in the mail sometime soon, a cannon SD850...
-fang

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I am envious and miss every RD and R5 and variants I've ever owned

even miss my nearly new LS2

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I am envious and miss every RD and R5 and variants I've ever owned

even miss my nearly new LS2

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hey, I remember, riding my brand new RD350 with zero miles on it when I was 10 (about 30 years ago), from upstate Wisconsin to San Antonio (about 1,800 miles), and it was stolen when I went into Burger King to buy a shake. I have been looking for that bike for a long, long time. Thanks for finding it Fang, just send it C.O.D. to me.

Seriously, sounds like a nice find. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hey, I remember, riding my brand new RD350 with zero miles on it when I was 10 (about 30 years ago), from upstate Wisconsin to San Antonio (about 1,800 miles), and it was stolen when I went into Burger King to buy a shake. I have been looking for that bike for a long, long time. Thanks for finding it Fang, just send it C.O.D. to me.

Seriously, sounds like a nice find. Have fun!

·
Registered
57 Posts
DAM I MISSED THAT ONE.OH WAIT IM IN CALIFORNIA.NICE FIND. DID THEY ADVERTISE IT.HOW DID YOU FIND IT.IN CALIFORNIA WE HAVE PUBLIC ACTIONS BUT I HAVENT FOUND ANYTHING LIKE THAT.
I LIKE ORANGE.IM RUNNING A 1975 ORANGE BELL FULL FACE HELMET.ITS BETTER THAN A REFLECTIVE JACKET.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DAM I MISSED THAT ONE.OH WAIT IM IN CALIFORNIA.NICE FIND. DID THEY ADVERTISE IT.HOW DID YOU FIND IT.IN CALIFORNIA WE HAVE PUBLIC ACTIONS BUT I HAVENT FOUND ANYTHING LIKE THAT.
I LIKE ORANGE.IM RUNNING A 1975 ORANGE BELL FULL FACE HELMET.ITS BETTER THAN A REFLECTIVE JACKET.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Howdy all.
I have been plucking away at this RD350 project. Lots of removing things, sandblasting and re-painting.
I stripped the frame the rest of the way this evening and hope to be blasting and painting it tomorrow. Almost everything has arrived from various on-line sellers, and I expect that I will have a super fly, unique RD350 to rip around on by the end of the week.

Some of the cool things include an old Ducati headlight (6volt) that I have upgraded to a modern bi-xenon (hi/low) HID light with a modern tri-bar reflector & lens(H4 conversion kit @ 6000K). It will throw a WHOLE LOT of light out on the road, and only consume 30w for both the high and low beams. Just in case you are not familiar with the Bi-Xenon HID kits, they have a little solenoid built onto the bulb that physically moves the location of the bulb within the lens, creating the high beam/ low beam effect, and does it with just one ballast.

Another cool thingie is a early 1960's Yamaha YCS-1 gas tank. The YCS-1 was a 180cc 2-stroke bike from which the RD bikes were developed. The gas tank is a slick 3.2 gallon tank with removable chrome side covers and rubber knee inserts. It and that old Ducati headlight will contribute quite a bit toward an "older" cafe style bike. I will start posting pictures as soon as I start to blast the frame and reassemble it all. I am kicking around the idea of converting it to a mono-shock aluminum swing arm that I am borrowing from Snorkelfork. That would be interesting. I test fit it this eveing, and it is a **PERFECT** fit. I think it is about 4" longer than stock, and it would involve some cutting/welding, but it would be a sick setup.

Peace and grease
-fang

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man that sounds awesome. I can't wait for the pics, especially if you do that mono shock setup. Where do buy that bi-xenon from? How expensive is it? The girls bike has a really weak headlight and she won't ride at night with it, so I need to fix it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For my headlight,
1. I spent about $25 a long time ago for the old Ducati headlight and shell. One like this , except mine included the speedo, and is one that does not have the ignition "key":

2. $57 for a set of two tri-bar, blue-dot 5.75" light lenses.

3. $114 for a pair of bi-xenon HID lights (for a car).

But I didn't realize that the HID lights shared one wiring harness. Since my pal Snorkelfork and I are going in together and splitting all this between our two bikes I had to buy an additional "bi-xenon relay wiring harness" for the lights.

4. And it cost $22.

All those numbers are eBay prices, with Shipping. Since we bought it all in pairs and are splitting the cost I think we saved about $40 each (even with the extra wiring harness). So to finally answer your question, my light cost me about $110</u>. Now, I know that might sound like a pretty penny (because it is), but IMHO it is worth every bit. The idea of having a true retro super-bright, vintage-modern light for my cafe that only sucks 30w leaves me with a big fat smile all the way to the bank, or anywhere else I might happen to be driving in the dark.

In other news, I spent all afternoon into the night sandblasting and painting everything related to the frame on my bike. I have a blister on my finger to prove it. I did the frame, swing arm, side and center stands, foot pegs, battery box; all that stuff. I also polished all the bolts. We're talking quality work, not some sloppy crap! LOL. Somehow it suddenly is all looking very good. I will be taking (and posting) pictures of the bike as I assemble it, which should be tomorrow evening.

Peace and grease
-fang

1 - 20 of 22 Posts