Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Yeah I have, and understand the inherent danger in them in the hands of the general public. They have to be ridden in race mode to be safe and they really weren't intended for that purpose market.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
So the Witworth is an expert on bicycles AND tricycles :|
… but has never flipped a Honda trike backwards going up a moderately steep hill, or had the thing forward tilt on 2 wheels going down a hill,
never had one air-borne or he would know the wheelbase is too @#$% short and the tires are too @#$%^ bouncy.
:/ Witworth is obviously a flatlander and a very cautious trike rider, good on you Witworth, keep it safe.

Oh ya, I missed the part about when you put a foot down to save yourself in a tip over situation, and the rear tire eats your leg.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
BTW, did you ever actually ride a 250 MX trike? Doubt it.

And yes, I have had one airborne, when a sandhill run out, being about four foot up in the air at about 40MPH, and headed for a barbed wire fence. I stopped with about a 1 1/2 feet to spare.

You don't ride ATC 250's " cautious " , because if you don't go into corners, under power and sliding, they don't steer right. They are not for the timid. Once you realise they do just about everything right under full power, from cornering to 50MPH wheelies, they work great.

A MX trike is not your uncle farmer's cow collector version.

I've ridden just about every Honda dirt trike, from the 70cc one to the MX type version. They are all fine in hills, mud and vicious sand whoops ( like five miles of them on a big sand track's loop ) .

BTW, the Yamaha 60cc Tri - Zinger is an amazing amount of fun, even for grown adults. It's like a pocket - sized Sprint Car experience.

A trike is much like a car, keeping your feet in, is a very good idea.

Plenty of people have absolutely no idea when it come to trikes, of any type.

Don't believe the hype.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Yes, my paraplegic friend has one :|

danger is his business <- he rides trikes and thinks they handle good !

… how are you going to steer a three wheeler with a solid rear axle and you Can't break traction easy ? sand person

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
So the Witworth is an expert on bicycles AND tricycles :|
… but has never flipped a Honda trike backwards going up a moderately steep hill, or had the thing forward tilt on 2 wheels going down a hill,
never had one air-borne or he would know the wheelbase is too @#$% short and the tires are too @#$%^ bouncy.
Because THIS is actually the "Honda three-wheeler" he was talking about...

IMG_0051.jpg

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Yes, my paraplegic friend has one :|

danger is his business <- he rides trikes and thinks they handle good !

… how are you going to steer a three wheeler with a solid rear axle and you Can't break traction easy ? sand person
A solid rear axle with a diff in it maybe? Like a Servicar has? H- D might be dumb, but they're not stupid.

Very narrow - track trikes don't really need diffs.

Go ride a trike, and report back.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The thing is, the low performing engine of a servicar is part of the charm. Where I am at, the powerplant is more than ample. Would i take it into Atlanta? Nope. But out here in the country, its perfectly fine.

On an unrelated note (kinda). I have long wanted a chain gang frazier nash replica. These cars originally had a solid rear axle. I got back and forth considering whether, when running a 4.75-19 tire, if the contact patch is actually large enough to cause real problems with a solid axle on asphalt. Alot depends on track width.

speaking of sidecars, I want this real bad like: Ural motorcycle with sidecar

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The thing is, the low performing engine of a servicar is part of the charm. Where I am at, the powerplant is more than ample. Would i take it into Atlanta? Nope. But out here in the country, its perfectly fine.

On an unrelated note (kinda). I have long wanted a chain gang frazier nash replica. These cars originally had a solid rear axle. I got back and forth considering whether, when running a 4.75-19 tire, if the contact patch is actually large enough to cause real problems with a solid axle on asphalt. Alot depends on track width.

speaking of sidecars, I want this real bad like: Ural motorcycle with sidecar
Ural sidecars actually work pretty well. They are great on dirt roads and city streets. Don't plan on winning the Cannonball Run or Blitzing Bonneville.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
On your point about contact patch size, I also know that the skinny tires are an integral part of the Morgan Three Wheeler and Sub G1 designs, and why they can be pushed hard without the ESC nanny-bots other road trikes such as the Spyder and Slingshot need. The tires limit traction long before the chassis and suspension get out of shape.

morgan-3-wheeler-14.jpg
Sub-G1-Three-Wheeler-10.jpg

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It looks like the left side tire is actually smoking in that picture!

I want to build either a morgan like trike or the FN in the near future. I was honestly thinking of building the morgan thing as a front wheel drive setup using a subaru transaxle. Build an adapter plate and hub/aluminum clutch unit to put it on the transaxle. Although I also have a goldwing trailing arm and final drive i saved just because.

I think the issue is most people are simply not okay with sliding things. Once the tires break traction they are lost. Its indoctrinated into drivers from a young age. Now we are even taking away the skill of parallel parking with auto parking.

Tadpole trikes are better than pretty much any other trike in my opinion. If for no other reason than parking lot donuts!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
A solid rear axle with a diff in it maybe? Like a Servicar has? H- D might be dumb, but they're not stupid.

Very narrow - track trikes don't really need diffs.

Go ride a trike, and report back.

Danger, is my business."
good lord man, haven't you been listening, you sidestep every question like a child.
… so how are you going to deal with wheel fight from 2 heavy fat rear tires, using a small front tire ?

Lets say, oh, coming into a tight right hand corner right after your front tire hits a bit of oil in the middle of the road,
and btw trikes ride with the front wheel in the middle of the road, right where cars drop their oil and trucks drop grease from fifth wheel hitches :|
you can't straddle shit with a trike, it's a three track vehicle ?:I does anybody know any good 3 track roads or back woods trails?

Note: There is a huge difference between a can-am Spyder Road stability,
and a fixed axle trike with one front wheel, which is an inherently un-stable vehicle to be on when things go wrong and a huge problem on rough anything.

… at least three wheel vehicles with 2 front steering wheels and 1 drive wheel can take a bump or an off camber, which is deadly on a tricycle.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It looks like a wonderful time!!!

I think I will build mine with a differential. Maybe with an adjustable clutch so i can crank it down to experience the above.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
It looks like a wonderful time!!!

I think I will build mine with a differential. Maybe with an adjustable clutch so i can crank it down to experience the above.
A front wheel drive trike is not a bad idea. But you don't really need, or want much horsepower. The vehicles are so light you can't get the power to the ground. Wide car tires are a bit of an issue too. They are very hard to get any heat into for traction, even when running very low pressures like 5 to 10 PSI.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
To clarify, the previous post was for a rwd FN replica. :)

WW, I have long suspected a v twin lawn tractor engine would be sufficient for an around town trike. Something like this tweaked a little: Briggs & Stratton Horizontal Engine - 356447-3077-G1

- - - Updated - - -

#ropestartlife

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
To clarify, the previous post was for a rwd FN replica. :)

WW, I have long suspected a v twin lawn tractor engine would be sufficient for an around town trike. Something like this tweaked a little: Briggs & Stratton Horizontal Engine - 356447-3077-G1

- - - Updated - - -

#ropestartlife
Yep, the Japanese manufactured B&S Vanguard motor is an awesome unit. Someone should make an adaptor to slot one into a CX500.

-On second thoughts, NO THANKS , a B&S powered CX would surely open up the gates of Hell in the end times. Portland would then become the portal into Hell!

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
But then I get to thinking "how can I simplify and make cheaper"

So I came up with a v-twin industrial engine + CVT like a snowmobile or golf cart + atv differential with extended axles and knuckles. Too many projects. It wouldn't be terribly sporting with that CVT either.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
But then I get to thinking "how can I simplify and make cheaper"

So I came up with a v-twin industrial engine + CVT like a snowmobile or golf cart + atv differential with extended axles and knuckles. Too many projects. It wouldn't be terribly sporting with that CVT either.
It depends on how you set up the CVT. I'd ridden and worked on Suzuki Burgman scooters and Honda Helix's CVT's. There is nothing wrong with how the CVT operates as far as performance is concerned. You can change weights and things to change ' the gearing ' and how soon or savage they lock up. I swear a Burgman accelerates faster with the CVT, than it would with a gear box. Once moving faster than 30MPH, Burgmans get to 85 - 90MPH pretty damn quick.

BTW, a 400cc Burgman ensemble would be ideal for the rear propulsion unit of a Morgan style trike.

Danger, is my business."

21 - 40 of 96 Posts