Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But has anyone heard of Duro tires? I know that Cheng Shins suck but the Duro's are ass cheap and I don't know anything about them. I'm on an insanely cheap budget and really need tires so that I can ride for a month or so before it gets cold here in philly.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no one knows anything about Duro Tires?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i don't know the Duro's, but the Cheng Shins don't really suck. they wear out in 5-7K on a low hp honda, but they hook up pretty well. they have the metzler clone and a sportier barracuda model. i've run them for one season on the street and don't have any real complaints. they add nothing to the suspension but my little 400F already has suck/stock suspension and they're not especially great for feel, but they hook up well. i ride them pretty damn hard and haven't had any issues. with age, they've gotten a little squirrely in the rain but i'm likely to buy them again for the little honda.

best-
tt

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
on the lighter hondas they may be ok, but on the heavier bikes they tend to push in corners. I had a set on a cb750 I bought and they lasted a week before I changed them out, but I am an aggressive rider. I felt they were a little too greasy for my tastes and not confidence inspiring.

however I would probably take them over a set of tires nobody has ever heard of.

With tires you get every inch of what you pay for. With the upscale cheng shins you are pretty much getting into contenital territory and I would much rather have a set of conti's. I looked online and the CS barracudas are $72 a tire but the avon roadriders are $90 a tire.

don't forget you will have to budget for rim strips and inner tubes as well.

I once saw CS tires for $27 a tire, you couldn't get me to ride a foot on a $27 tire.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
geets right-

i'm all for a great tire when the bike or the riding style calls for it and the budget allows. i'm just saying the shins aren't as much crap as i thought before i got stuck having to try them...i was pleasantly surprised. i've regularly hit full lean at full speed and haven't felt anything uglier than the sloppy rear suspension has thrown at me. but like geeto says, it seems a great tire can just about change the entire character of a bike, i once went from the good Bstone BT45s to a Perelli Diablo Strada and could barely stand how much better that bike handled.

-tt

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just ordered a barracudaa fo my 360.. haven't got it yet and it was only about 30.00. but I've had CS on my dirt bikes for a while and they seem to do as well as some higher priced ones I bought.. I know dirt and street are different but I ride hard in the dirt and they seem to take it well. I thought the rocks would cut them easier than they do... I'll know soon if I like them on the street

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wasn't quite the answer I was hoping for but thanks all the same. I think I'll spend some money on some other things and worry about tires next spring. At least that's the thought at the moment . . . it may change by morning.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
lefty-

just pick up some chins to finish the year, they're not gonna toss you.

-tt
I have to agree with Tim on this one....if it means the difference between riding this year or next, pick up the tires and ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well there is actually more to it than that, I have to figure in new tubes, plus getting the bike registered, inspected, and insured. I'm figuring on about $450 to get the bike on the road and that's only if it passes inspection. I'm thinking that instead, I may just use the money to rebuild the rear master cylinder (it works but there is a little bit of crud in there), get a new chain, rebuild the front forks and just spend the winter generally cleaning up the bike.

I'm still having major tank issues too, which are really frustrating. I may have to revive my old post about my tank questions.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i know my buddy bought some duros for his 500 or 550. i told him i wouldnt do it but he seems happy with them. but hes ot an overly agressive rider. duro makes lawn tractor tires. if they are asian tires, they probably have a fair amount of real rubber in them. adn thats most likely why they feel greasy and wear quickly. i was just looking into how the asian tiger mosquito entered the country and i read it was in a batch of used tires imported into the us. so i started looking into why we were importing used tires from other countries. it has to do with rubber content. weird.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i wonder about what bugs the asians bitch about being introduced into their countries from north america?

hope it's the texas "love bug."

what a completely useless insect!

texy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts