Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, most of you guys have seen my build up of my RD over the last few months and now I am stuck. My best friend is a machinist and said he would build my rear set mounts for me (i bought universal rearsets since nobody has good looking RD rearsets after motocarrera went under) and now that it has come to that time, he is busy building race motors for amatuer nationals coming at the end of june. So basically, the only thing that is keeping me off of the road right now are rear set mounts. I am a drafter/designer by trade and plan on putting my design on paper, i just need some one here who can either machine aluminum or will cut the plates out of steel for me. I didn't want to use steel, but i am desperate at this point. As with most of the cafe fellows here, i don't have a lot of money to spend to do this, so really i am asking for somebody to donate some time to help get me on the road. any takers? thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i just made these for a guy. i don't have a lathe or cnc or anything, but with a drill press, band saw, and grinder and a tap and die set this is what i made.

Give it a shot yourself. or email me the plans and i'll try to help you out if you want.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
got any pics of the backside? measurements? what did you use for the clamps, exhaust clamps?

feel like making another set of the plates/clamps?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
rubber coated u bolts (to prevent scratching the frame paint) and the i take 3/4" alum and cut a half moon in it for the other side with holes drilled all the way thru for the u bolts to go thru.
i do have another set made. what color would you like? all black? black brackets polished plates (like the picture) or all chrome powder coat? or magenta?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
carpy sells the rearsets tarozzi makes specifically for the cb750. Tarozzi makes all the brackets, carpy makes nothing, and charges $400 (not $300). Other places charg $280-290ish for the same rearsets.

Raask rearsets are a little cheaper but you kind of have to be short to use them as they mount really high.

if you are resourceful, you can make the plates like pamp did and use a bolt though rearset design like those found on the fzr600s to make your own. I used to score fzr stock rearsets for about $20-30 off ebay complete. If you make the plates like pamp did then you can have rearsets for under $100 (and that includes the clevis ends you will need to make the linkages as well).

I have a set of triumph first year speed triple (really rare) bolt through rearsets I want to use for a project, hence my interest in the brackets.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
those brackets look really nice pamp! i have access to the same tools that you do, but i didnt think i could make a set look that nice with the radiused corners and all. I am going to be at the shop sunday and i'm going to mock up what i think will work (with good ole cardboard) and then draw them up. I pulled some strings at work today and i think one of the millrights at work will make them for me...but i may have to consult you. one question though, on my bike, the brake shaft is splined...any thoughts on how to cut spines into something? i was thinking rat tail file or dremel but it would be sooooo hard to do correctly that way! thanks for posting up, i may call you after all

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
you need a broach to cut splines. a machine shop should be able to do that part for you. but expect to pay too much for it. (around $40 i bet just for the one splined hole)
the cb has a splined brake too, but the other side of it connects to a rod. i just cut and threaded that rod and added the clevis to the end.
geeto, i've been charging $74 shipped. it takes me about 4 hours to make them. i'm slow. but i could take $10 off for you. [email protected] if you are interested.

here is the no frills back side.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pampadori

you need a broach to cut splines. a machine shop should be able to do that part for you. but expect to pay too much for it. (around $40 i bet just for the one splined hole)
the cb has a splined brake too, but the other side of it connects to a rod. i just cut and threaded that rod and added the clevis to the end.
geeto, i've been charging $74 shipped. it takes me about 4 hours to make them. i'm slow. but i could take $10 off for you. [email protected] if you are interested.

here is the no frills back side.
I can paypal you directly to that e-mail?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
yeah, give me about a week before i can get them in the mail. I've got to pick up some more liquid rubber dip and i gotta work all week too. do you want me to drill the middle hole or do you want to make sure the sets go exactly where you want them? i prefer the later, since i haven't seen the sets you are using.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
don't worry about drilling the middle hole, I'll hit it with my drill press. I'll take care of this tomorrow as I am working late tonight.

what ever happened with that 18" wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 6' tall, this is my first bike. So being as tall as I am, I wont even need rear sets? The bike seems comfortable enough now. (I haven't even gotten to ride it yet). But damned if they don't look good.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im 6' tall too...and im going with rear sets. its all about an agressive riding position on this type of bike...comfort isnt fast!! LOL!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here is the set that moto carrera used to sell, and this is what i want to make mine look like, just so you have some idea

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also, i already have the shifter piece, pegs, levers and a few connecting rods, i just need those mounting plates (almost just a simple L shape) and the brake lever piece

1 - 20 of 23 Posts