Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 Honda CB 360G.Just got er'. It needs carb repair and or restoration. I was wondering if any one knows where I can just get a complete set of ready to go replacement carbs? Also, I'm putting on Cafe bars and wanted to know how to re-wire the bike to put on like 1 single gauge and rid myself of all the other electronics and display that are around the handlebars?

·
Registered
687 Posts
what exactly is wrong with the carbs other than dirt and nastiness? you can probably restore those for a less than you are going to find a set ready to go. if the rubber diaphragms are in good shape that is the way i would go otherwise you might play the lottery on ebay or you could spend a hefty $300 for a set of mikunis from sporting for less.

...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Sep 01 2007 9:38:36 PM

Edited by - snorkelfork on Sep 01 2007 9:46:09 PM

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mechanic said that the slide valves were melted and thay needed to be replaced "a rare part for that bike", I have no idea other than they cost $90.00 each and $180 total, I should probably just get new carbs???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic said that the slide valves were melted and thay needed to be replaced "a rare part for that bike", I have no idea other than they cost $90.00 each and $180 total, I should probably just get new carbs???

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
These guys sell carb parts:

www.sudco.com

They sell complete carbs set-up to your specification for about $110 and up per carb.

Go here:

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/...ry=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1974&fveh=2907

and look at the on-line parts fiches/diagrams for your bike. This will give you a good idea of the parts, their names, and what it should cost you to replace them. I think the part your mechanic is talking about is number seven the "piston set, vacuum". It's possible the rubber diaphragm is shot on both. That's something you could check yourself by taking out four screws. Typically these old carbs just need to be cleaned, have the float needle valves replaced, and the float levels adjusted and they are good to go. Of course Keihin carbs have those rubber diaphragms on the slides to complicate matters.

Checking ebay I see there are no less than four sets of cb360 carbs available for bidding starting at 99 cents.

Jim

·
Registered
687 Posts
the cb350's have similar but not the same carbs. chances are that the $90 replacements are 30 year old nos like the cb's and i could never bring myself to pay that much for old rubber. i bought a set from ebay just for the diaphrams. some sellers are willing to pop the top cap off and check to make sure the rubber has no rips or tears and i wouldn't buy used carbs unless i could verify that. i also spent a lot of time trying different things to patch them non of which work for various reasons. been a year since i looked into it but sudco wanted about $50 more than sporting for less if you find them for less than $300 i'd love to know about it.

how much is your mechanic going to add to the bill for finding and\or "installing" those carbs?

be sure to check the faq and download the appropriate manuals for your bike and start learning how to fix it on your own. these bikes generally require way too much wrenching to take it to a mechanic every time they are out of tune. that and from what iv'e seen most mechanics don't know dick about these bikes. they will charge you a mint and return it still broked.

of course you could lure some local vintage honda riders to your house with beer and perhaps they'll pity you enough to fix it. iv'e taken that bait more often than i'd like.

on the control thing. you are going to need a tach to tune the bike and the law requires that you have a speedo. you might be able to find a tach/speedo combo that will work for you but make sure the ratios jibe. or get your inspection with the speedo and then swap it for the tach and learn how to read your speed off of that. i know that texas also requires a neutral and a high beam indicator. if you lose the signal indicator but keep the signals you will drive around with them on all the time.

get a wiring diagram...

...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Sep 02 2007 10:24:36 AM

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Regarding the gauges - There were several combo gauges put out by the Japanese bike makers over the years. Suzuki had a nice one on their X6:

Plus Yamaha had one too although I don't remember the model. If you're really lucky the ratios are the same and the speedo will be close to accurate.

There's a company making combo gauges for Harleys but I think they get about $175 for them and I don't know if the speedo ratio is remotely close.

You could go with an oversized tach and a small bike style speedo mounted below it. The company that was making the digital bike computers (speedo/odometer/clock) for Cannondale is selling them under a different brand name now and you can find them with a little searching.

You might want to consider keeping a bank of dummy lights (neutral, blinkers, etc) and you could either use the center bank of lights out of a CB500t/cb750 set of gauges or wire in a block of colored LEDs.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all very much for the insight I think I have enough info.. I'm getting my bike back next tuesday, when I ride it I'll see how it feels. I plan on giving myself a crash course on these carbs and maybe get an old one and dis-assemble it, and overhaul it. Best way to learn, if there are any other problems with these bikes I should look at or keep my eye on please let me know. I would love to see pictures of anyones 360 that they have made into a cafe racer and When I get mine back I plan on posting pics, thanks again! Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts