Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11,783 Posts
see, i dont do it that way. i grind the weld, press out the stem, then grind the weld off the transplant stem, then swap em out. then reweld it. that way, you dont need to fuck with mixmatching bearings and shortening stems or putting in shims and crap like that. that is of course if the stems fit the lower triples. but from 350 to 550, 500 and 750, they do. the lengths are different, but the taper is the same. so it works. also, the early 360 had a drum. sounds like a corner i want to stay away from!

i need a 550 rear wheel for my k model, anyone??

jc

· Registered
11,783 Posts
hey jeremy, im going to try and straighten it tomorrow. if you think of it when you go. mines nice and clean. just a little bent. so id like a nice clean one thats not bent. 100 on ebay, plus shipping. rip off.

jb, i thought the stem of the 175 fit the 350, so it should fit the 360 also. so my trade might work. going up to the 500 etc should work too, at least i thought it would siince it works the other direction. (im talking about your scenario) although i could be totally wrong. i thought aaron was running a 350 front end on his 175. but he might have gone through what you did to get it to work. maybe the 350 stuff is just blessed that way. the reason i like to do it that way is so i dont have to try to remember what bearings to buy. i just think if it as a 350 honda, so thats what i get. instead of having to remember a 750 top, a 450 bottom, etc etc etc....swapping stems resolves the length/spacer issue. since youre using a stock length. this is of course takes into consideration the thickness of the top clamp is close. (i thought it was actually thin where the stem comes through and the nut goes on) the bottom isnt such a big deal, as long as it can press in. and then with the weld, youre good to go. ive been told theres no reason to even weld them since they are clamped and bolted. (but like chris has said to me, if i think im better than a honda engineer, i should apply) so i weld em back up. anyway, im bored now.

me

· Registered
11,783 Posts
ah, see, the length scared me from trying to use it. i just tried to figure out the easiest way to get from a to b. there also might be a cearance issue on the bottom clamp too, but i cant remember for sure. i thnk i just ground the frame instead. there was plenty of room there. i do know the sterring stops dont work on the swap so i had to make up new ones.

jc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.