Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something has been bothering me lately and I need to rant for a second...

Recently, I helped out someone with a bike. Actually I did a motor swap which took 8 hours on one day and 4 on the next. I didn't do it for any form of compensation, the person was a friend of a friend and since the season was starting he was chomping at the bit to get back on wheels. I didn't go overthere asking for anything, but he offered me a few parts I needed from his parts bike. One of them being a good condition seat for a 1972-1976 CB750K. He did also give me a nearly new o-ring chain (which I really don't have a use for and gave him my new in box standard 530 chain).

In the course of the last couple of weeks I have fielded endless telephone conversations from him helping out with whatever little project he was working on (not counting those two days I was physically at his place swapping the motor). On sunday he called me because he was looking at a second cb750 (a 1976) and wanted advice as to what to look at on the bike. I gave him the advice (my on pre--buy checklist) and he bought the bike.

Yesterday I get an e-mail that he wants the seat he gave me back because the new cb750 he just bought (the one he called me about) had a ripped seat. He wasn't a total asshole about it in that he offered me money for the seat...but at that moment he found a way to turn my community good will into compensation at which point I really wanted no part of the seat or anything else.

I feel pissed on.

So last night he came by and picked up the seat. I was nice about it, not really looking to make enemies with people. But I realized something - All those years I busted my knuckles doing stupid work on bikes whishing there was someone there to help me created character. It made motorcycles and the motorcycle scene valuable to me because I had invested myself in it. Now I thought I was doing the right thing by helping all those who wished they had somebody there when they were in over their heads on a bike but I realized I have just been robbing them all of necessary character they needed to devlop if they are going to remain in the hobby. It feels selfish to say but truth be told I kinda feel a little insulted by the whoel thing.

I dunno...maybe I have it wrong...but from here on out the newbies in NY have to sink or swim...

I'll probably delete this later, just needed to vent about it.

P.S. ROSKO - I will always have your back

P.P.S. Joe, the one good thing that came out of this is I have that fender you wanted and if you want me to send it to you I need you to e-mail me your address.

·
Registered
65 Posts
while i barely know you i can relate. i know this feeling. but in the end i think we should realize why we do what we do, and that it takes one good apple to make the rotten ones worthwhile. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Gheeto,
As a newbie and reciepient of lots of your forum advice (and some sarcasm), I appreciate it all.

Where do I send the beer?

I just got my bike up and running and was going down the road thinking that I owe a huge thanks to all the people on here who helped me.

The guy you were dealing with sound like a tool.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
cool. you can give it to rosko i think if you dont feel like mailing it. why have it cost money and take more time. unless of course thats more of a pain in the ass. i dont know how often you make it inot town so to speak, like for the race nite at matchless, but my friend denise is usually there, you could even give it to her for me as i see her alot. its no hurry though.

its all yer option.

140 n. kresson street
baltimore

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe you don't expect or want a reply to this vent, but I make it a point to learn from other peoples' experiences. My dad was a car mechanic when I was a kid, and consequently THE car mechanic for everyone at church. They all thought he loved to work on cars so he'd be happy to help them out for nothing / cheap. That eventually burned him out, right out of the profession. He went back to school to do something totally different. He's found now that he still loves to tinker, on his OWN cars and motorcycles, NOT someone else's. He'll give advice, but doesn't do the work.

What you say about necessary character is true. As kids my brothers and I always had Dad to fix the dirt bikes. One day I recognized that we did all the riding and Dad only got one quick ride in the whole day and just fixed stuff the rest of the day. I took my first street bike to college with me, 500 miles from home, which forced me to dig into it myself. THAT's where the addiction started. I owned, broke, fixed, rode and sold 6 different bikes while in college. And in the process got my wife hooked on motorcycles, and now have a 2 year old who's favorite thing to do when I get home is ride the minibike with me.

It's a good thing to say no. It'll make you happier now, and others happier in the long run.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can understand where your coming from, while I'm 23, everything I've done to my cars and my bikes have been done myself by myself. What usually gets to me is I help everyone but when I need help in say a motor swap or where I just need a 3rd or 4th hand, everyone is busy and I'm forced to either wait and wait or come up with inventive way of getting the job done. Kinda discouraging but I love working on cars and bikes so much that I try not to let it get me down. Plus I made a rule a while back, I make the person to 90% of their own work, I just stand there and tell them how to do it, like the old saying "give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for life"

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just your advice has guided me into some good directions. I bought a cheap 650 engine that I'm going to rebuild and hopefully I won't break it trying to start it after putting it all back together. I have you to thank for helping me make that decision, which I feel was a good one regarless of whether I totally bugger it up or it turns out beautifully.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with a few guys who don't seem to have the right spirit about it. At least stay a part of the community, its guys like you that give newbs like us something to admire and look to as an example of how things should be done correctly.

I'll add to the shipment of beer headed your way.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Geet, i think everybody who has a lot of knowledge on a subject has felt like you at one point of time or another. My cousin has worked on bikes for 40 years or so (20 of them, he had his own shop) and there are people who just mooch off of him now. he is retired, and we work on "our" race bike, and his harley and my RD, but people will just ride up and want him to fix stuff because he knows what he is doing, and is a nice guy. It wears him out...i'm sure you feel the same way. I'm no expert mechanic (you can tell by my posts) but i am pretty good with offroad bikes and quads and i help keep my friend's stuff together so i have people to ride with, but it is starting to get to the point where friends of friends want me to change their tires, or clean their carbs and stuff of that nature. I am in the financial situation where everything has a price, but if you know they aren't going to pay or if the time is worth more than the money, you have to just tell them that. What ever you do, don't get burnt out on this sport because you are a great addition to this board and a wealth of info!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
the best part is, within a few weeks of you helping them with the motor swap, they sell it on craigslist and buy something else...and THEN have the balls to ask you to help them with that one....

·
Registered
306 Posts
also the thing that sucks for you is that you are "the CB750 guy"....you should have picked something a little more rare like "the parilla grand sport guy"

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Something has been bothering me lately and I need to rant for a second...

Recently, I helped out someone with a bike. Actually I did a motor swap which took 8 hours on one day and 4 on the next. I didn't do it for any form of compensation, the person was a friend of a friend and since the season was starting he was chomping at the bit to get back on wheels. I didn't go overthere asking for anything, but he offered me a few parts I needed from his parts bike. One of them being a good condition seat for a 1972-1976 CB750K. He did also give me a nearly new o-ring chain (which I really don't have a use for and gave him my new in box standard 530 chain).

In the course of the last couple of weeks I have fielded endless telephone conversations from him helping out with whatever little project he was working on (not counting those two days I was physically at his place swapping the motor). On sunday he called me because he was looking at a second cb750 (a 1976) and wanted advice as to what to look at on the bike. I gave him the advice (my on pre--buy checklist) and he bought the bike.

Yesterday I get an e-mail that he wants the seat he gave me back because the new cb750 he just bought (the one he called me about) had a ripped seat. He wasn't a total asshole about it in that he offered me money for the seat...but at that moment he found a way to turn my community good will into compensation at which point I really wanted no part of the seat or anything else.

I feel pissed on.

So last night he came by and picked up the seat. I was nice about it, not really looking to make enemies with people. But I realized something - All those years I busted my knuckles doing stupid work on bikes whishing there was someone there to help me created character. It made motorcycles and the motorcycle scene valuable to me because I had invested myself in it. Now I thought I was doing the right thing by helping all those who wished they had somebody there when they were in over their heads on a bike but I realized I have just been robbing them all of necessary character they needed to devlop if they are going to remain in the hobby. It feels selfish to say but truth be told I kinda feel a little insulted by the whoel thing.

I dunno...maybe I have it wrong...but from here on out the newbies in NY have to sink or swim...

I'll probably delete this later, just needed to vent about it.

P.S. ROSKO - I will always have your back

P.P.S. Joe, the one good thing that came out of this is I have that fender you wanted and if you want me to send it to you I need you to e-mail me your address.
Quotey, quote, quote.... That's to keep Geeto from deleting this later....

Now to bust his balls - Hey Geet, should I leave that T500 engine alone then? I wouldn't want to deprive you of a learning experience!

Just kidding! I know how you feel and I've seen this happen (and had it happen to me) before. I guess it's better to teach them how to fish than to fish for them.... On the other hand, sometimes I stop to wonder how often I pissed off my mentors when I was just learning how to wrench on stuff?

AND, thinking on it further... Given how helpless we as a nation seem to be getting mechanically, I like it when I get a chance to teach someone "lefty loosey, righty tighty" in a mechanical, bike related way..... But then I've inhaled a lot of paint fumes and two stroke exhaust over the years so I may no longer be in my right mind....

Jim

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Jim,

forgot you lurked here. I hope to hell I have never made any of the time you spent showing my the inner workings of a T500 engine feel trivial and unnecessary. If I did I am sorry. Thanks to you I am way more competent working on two strokes. I truely owe you a debt.

However, the biggest difference here is you are going to be one of the guests at my wedding and he is really just some guy with a bike in NY. There is a history there. You have helped me in the past and I have returned the favor without prompting (though probably not in equal measure) and I am happy to do it. This guy even said he felt like an asshole taking the seat back but it didn't stop him any. I guess I am just pissy about indian givers.

And this isn't the first time I have gotten screwed on bikes and bike people in the scene (not even the first time this year). I had a guy once dump his cb750 at my house for 6 months because I offered him offstreet parking for a week. It is starting to feel like ROSKO and a few others who shall remain nameless are the only stand up people in a city of 8 million.

Wow, this thread got uber gay fast....and my own doing too...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
sorry Geet, that blows. You did an awesome thing and helped someone through a tough spot they may not have made it through. In the process it looks like you created a monster. Now he'll have bikes piling up like the rest of us. You should just go the whole 9 yards and take him in as an understudy, bestow all your cb750 knowledge and be done with it knowing someone will continue on. or something like that.

so please don't quit being the cb750 guy. If you do Hugh will never stop calling me 'Mr. Honda'

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/94

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
wha? did you say roskos gay?

you just cant keep gay out if it can you?

jc

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Well, it *is* you posting, Geeto, Besides, you big whiner, you can't stop being the 750 guy until I'm done sucking info out of your head. Quit yer bitchin and stick the tube back in.:D

For years I have been "the computer guy" to family, friends, casual acquaintances, and various people on airliners.

The demand is like water - it will always seek the lowest and easiest path. I ended up pumping up my rates to the point that I really only do corporate stuff now on the side, and I don't talk about it to people I meet. I also took so long to do things for free for moochers that they took stuff back and paid to have it done elsewhere rather than mooching my time, now in short supply.

p.s. for the rest of you: I'm not fixing your computers :D

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by ROSKO

sorry Geet, that blows. You did an awesome thing and helped someone through a tough spot they may not have made it through. In the process it looks like you created a monster. Now he'll have bikes piling up like the rest of us. You should just go the whole 9 yards and take him in as an understudy, bestow all your cb750 knowledge and be done with it knowing someone will continue on. or something like that.

so please don't quit being the cb750 guy. If you do Hugh will never stop calling me 'Mr. Honda'
I know, he's got "Kerry's Disease" or MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome) really bad.

No understudies...and Hugh will never stop calling you Mr. Honda no matter who is the cb expert.

I don't have a lot of hard feelings against him personally, he just sobered me up to the fact that I don't really want to help him anymore on those like him because they don't really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I hear ya about helping folks. I don't mind passing advice and I don't have problems working with friends on their MC's. How ever if I have help from someone on my bikes it's usually Cash, Food and/or beers.... Everyone gets paid someway...

·
Registered
699 Posts
a lot of people see these bikes and think they are cool looking, but they don't take the time to look at the riders and realize that the people who ride these bikes, 99% of the time, are enthusiasts who have been around the scene for a while and know their ass from their elbow on motorcycle. It seems like you have a Tool Bag riding this bike...like the doctors and lawyers that ride heritage softails...that doesn't care to know about the bike as long as he stands out for having something different. You never know, you can go down two roads here, you can try your best to be patient (while not wearing yourself thin) and try to help him along until he gets his feet wet, or you can throw him to the sharks and make him learn this stuff on his own

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow geeto...I always thought you were a hothead to start with, but I would feel pissed on too. I actually feel that now. I do alot of art work for people, and as soon as word gets out, everyone wants a free design, or a painting for free!!!! I think things like this piss us all off, but hey...It helps us be better people when we need something. We look back and see when we were ripped off and offer compensation to people when we need help so we don't treat people the same.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aside from being inexpirenced the kid was eager to jump in and help and was not as badly mechanically dis-inclined as some of them. I a person he has a really agreeable manner and is fairly easy to get along with.

However, basically what pissed me off is if you want to show appreciation and return the favor then do just that, don't try to and then immediatly take it back the moment it is inconvinent for you. It was inconvinent for me to be at his house till 3 am but I did it without complaint, then he tries to help me out in return by offering me this seat and immediatly takes it back when the 2nd bike he buys has a little rip in the seat. The more I think about it the more and more it pisses me off. Mostly because an act like that shows he is not willing to give back to a community that went out of its way to help him.

That situation has happened to me in the past where I gave somebody something out of the kindness of my heart and then realized I needed it. You know what I did? I bought another one because the good will created by my gesture was much more important than money or a motorcycle part. The whole time he was at my house saying "I am sorry I know this is an asshole thing to do" but I just wanted to shake him and say "if you know this is an asshole thing to do then why the fuck are you doing it?"

Hulk Smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

coopster - I used to lay lines for some local people (mostly my friends). Funny how people don't consider pinstriping any kind of art you have to pay for unless you are one of the "established masters".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts