1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...because I have become infatuated with jaguars and this has become appealing:

1978 Jaguar XJS , - Cars.com

09.jpg

my only disappointment is that it is powered by a chebby and not the jaguar inline 6 (yeah you heard me...fuck the v-12, Brit GT cars have inline sixes as god intended).

Actually I am surfing for the cheapest non-money pit 6 cyl XJS I can find right now for no other reason than I am bored and want to suffer the exquisite pain that is a british touring car. I'd buy an XJ6C if I could find one cheap enough.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Do self-respecting Brits even claim XJS's of this era as their own?

Reactions: engel

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do self-respecting Brits even claim XJS's of this era as their own?
In the 1990s I lived across the street from a Brit family that was living in the US. Real God save the Queen types as well since they had a flagpole flying the union jack at all hours in their front yard. The father drove an XJS v-12 and literally bought a new one every other year in the same slate gray color every time. for some reason he refused to buy an XK8 when they came out. The mom drove a mercedes I think. So I assume the XJS is still considered a brit car, I mean it is no XKE, but it's still pretty handsome.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Don't mean to pollute your jag thread but I always liked the 1990 model Alfa Romeo.

Used to work for Ball Honda in 1990 and carried the AR line. Everytime I got a chance to drive one...enjoyed. Not all that fast but felt like I was driving a European motor car. Different feel.

Screenshot_2015-03-05-14-15-59.png

One day ........

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't mean to pollute your jag thread but I always liked the 1990 model Alfa Romeo.

Used to work for Ball Honda in 1990 and carried the AR line. Everytime I got a chance to drive one...enjoyed. Not all that fast but felt like I was driving a European motor car. Different feel.

View attachment 12899

One day ........
I knew a girl in high school that had a bright yellow 1991 one. Great car.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like the v12 XJS. But a turbocharged AJ6 or possibly XJR engine swap seems interesting...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Whats that saying... Always buy two jaguars so you will have one to drive while the other is in the shop... I have a 1999 Jaguar V8 Vanden plas sitting in the garage with 56,000 miles on it. It seems from 1996 to 2000 first GEN V8 they made a plastic cam chain tensioner that is well known to fail on them. So the brits in 2001 through 2004 came out with an improved plastic tensioner but it did stop the problem. So in 2005 they built a 4.2 liter V8 they got this brilliant idea make the tensioner out of metal that fixed the problem. Good news is the 2005 on up 4.2 liter stuff can be put in all the earlier 4.0 liter V8s. The bad news is i have to tear the engine down find out how much damage i have from exhaust valves that struck the pistons. $3600.00 worth of other mostly electrical fixes in the 56,000 miles warranty took care of. This is one of those cars a rich person buys on a lease then leases a new one every few yrs with the warranty taking care of the problems. Talking to a Jaguar salesman one time he said 75 percent are lease buys. They are nice cars when you can drive them lol.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
That Brit guy across the street bought a new XJS every two years because he wanted a dependable car.

There must be a reason why so many XJ6, XJ12 and XJSs have the chevy conversion.

On my way back from Maine this last trip I saw a trailer with an XKE 2+2 coupe on it. A later One with the uncovered headlights. While it was cool, it just looked too bulbose and fat in the rear.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
The six cylinder XJR motor would be a cool swap.
wonder if it has ever been done.

i had a v12.
fucking epic car.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Has anyone changed the plugs on a V12 XJS? How long did it take you?

The smaller Fireball engine is fantastic.

Nothing wrong with the XK straight 6 engines or the V12s.

I've run Mk1 and Mk2 with XK 3.4 and 3.8 (also Daimler V8 which a nice motor and probably a better handling car), my brother runs an 1973 V12 E type in Chicago yep he's a Brit with R/H drive in a L/H drive world. Also had a 77 XJ coupe in black with the 5.3 PI engine, driving around Liverpool at 2am I felt like a pimp.

Only problem was rust and the electrics occasionally.

Geeto buy the very best you can afford they'll cost a fortune to restore. Much of the trim is no longer available and some mechanical parts are hens teeth.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like the fat rump on the XJS.

The reason so many chevies are swapped in are that people are retards and have zero resourcefulness. Lets spend 5k on a conversion when we could fix the six cylinder for 2k or less. The cars I have had and wrenched on with the XK motor have been nearly bulletproof with basic maintenance. As far as electrics, get away from the weird optical ignition fitted to some XJ6s, do an alternator swap and its pretty much good. I have honestly never had any injection problems on Jags that everything else that runs the same system doesn't have. The trap door airflow sensor sucks. But it sucks on everything else too. Even the Japanese clone of it sucks. Keep the fuel lines on the injector rail fresh to minimize fire chances. I personally made little spuds for mine so i could run modern injectors. A set of 3.9 Dodge magnum injectors with a more modern spray pattern really helps things.

As far as body electrics, it doesnt matter whats under the hood, the body demons are still there. Like those fuseholder things up front on the Series 2 XJ. W.T.F.

Around here the single biggest killer of Series 2 XJs is the physical fuel system. Anyone else ever have a return valve fail and dump a tank of fuel out of the overflow of the other side? Or crap pack in the quarter panel pans and rot the tanks from the outside in? Or stripped drains? Or leaky lines in the spare tire well? Or fuel cooler failure? But...I love Jags.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
There is only one classic British car a gentleman would consider for a DD.

The Rover P6 V-8.

Rover P6 Last_of_line.jpg

Second only to the Rolls-Royce, in the people's hearts.

Danger, is my business."

P.S, : Truth be told, the Rover P6 was the inspiration for the Tingate Racing SR 500! Notice they both have the Cuban cigar profile. Winston's great influence lives on.

SR TRD Groff.jpg

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
The V12 is not an unreliable engine.
only major thing I can think of is they don't like to be over heated. But nothing does....

plug swap takes three years.....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geeto buy the very best you can afford they'll cost a fortune to restore. Much of the trim is no longer available and some mechanical parts are hens teeth.
XJS prices in the US are a funny thing. "The nicest" ones are actually a lot of money. However, beaters or chevy swaps are dirt cheap (E.G. a nice later XJS six can be $10-12K, but the same car with a chevy swap is $2500 at best). I'm super bummed because I missed out on a BRG 1995 vert with the 6 at an estate sale a couple moths back for $1500. Car had a few issues from sitting but nobody hot rodded it or beat it up. I'm not really looking for a nice clean well kept example, just a rust free one that runs that I can do some stupidity with like put straight pipes on and remove the bumpers. and I would really like a convertible because if I had a coupe I would likely do something stupid like pay a lot of money to a metal worker to make it a hatch back.

I love what this guy did with his bumpers:

15179d1324483923-bumper-modification-2011-12-20-15.49.07.jpg
15582d1325601998-xjs-bumper-delete-2011-12-20-14.47.18.jpg
15183d1324484347-bumper-modification-2011-12-20-14.46.21.jpg

he took two sets of the chrome trim that covers the top of the actual bumper, welded them together, and then mounted them to the bumper area. It doesn't really work as a bumper because it is literally to thin pieces of trim, but I imagine at this point if you smack the front end on one of these cars the car is a writeoff anyway. He used the foglights in the front to cover the old bumper mounts. Without those giant plastic awful battering rams you can really see the XKE jag influence on the XJS.

·
Registered
767 Posts
There is only one classic British car a gentleman would consider for a DD.

The Rover P6 V-8.

View attachment 12904

Second only to the Rolls-Royce, in the people's hearts.

Danger, is my business."

P.S, : Truth be told, the Rover P6 was the inspiration for the Tingate Racing SR 500! Notice they both have the Cuban cigar profile. Winston's great influence lives on.

View attachment 12905
Rover is Buick 215 engine isn't it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts