Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a ratty cam chest cover to fit to my Buell. I want to trim one down like the race bikes but didnt want to destroy my original black one. So I went in search of something slightly abused that i could trim and then blast and coat or leave natural.

I found this:

Raw Ribster Finned Cam Chest Cover 48 Nighster 883 Harley Sportster EVO 91 14 XL | eBay

At first glance it looks like some cool swag. And its priced like cool swag. But wait. This is a crappy cover that bolts over your stock cover for the finned look. Say what? YES! lets add a few pounds of nothingness just for fins. So. Utterly. Lame.

Also bonus crap points for the "nighster" in the title.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
I actually kinda love all things finned.
But do agree a cover is extra lame

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like finned things too. And if the backside is getting a little oil splashed on it i can delude myself into thinking the fins are helping out a little bit. :D With this, its only trapping heat and grime in there! So beyond poser.

I saw one worse though. There is a finned derby cover that attaches with double sided tape out there....

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
I actually have a set of those covers.
They are that resin plastic stuff.
Was going to put them on the chopper.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
At least the primary cover is real:
Raw Ribster Finned Primary Cover 5 Five Speed Harley Sportster EVO 1991 03 XL | eBay

Honestly though, we are talking Harley parts in the aftermarket, there are way worse offenders than these ribbed condoms. Remember hyperchargers? Top fuel style bug catchers for your bike? ick.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually have a set of those covers.
They are that resin plastic stuff.
Was going to put them on the chopper.
Don't you fucking dare!!!!

·
Registered
10,510 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those things are super lame, not as bad as a pair of plastic Bull's nuts on your tow bar.
What's that all about?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have the metal ones too.
But even those just bolt to the outside.....
Don't use anything that requires sticky tape. I like finned covers even if they are vestigal but metal and replace the cover, not a plastic condom that attaches with double sided tape.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Those things are super lame, not as bad as a pair of plastic Bull's nuts on your tow bar.
What's that all about?
Dogs and trucks....at least that was my take away, it is a way anthropomorphizing a truck so it looks like your favorite male hunting dog - nuts swinging in the breeze.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Don't use anything that requires sticky tape. I like finned covers even if they are vestigal but metal and replace the cover, not a plastic condom that attaches with double sided tape.
Agreed.
And the patina is nice.

Well that is until the bike gets blown apart and rechomed/painted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts