Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
BTW - Porsche designed the VRod motor, HD built it. Big difference.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - Porsche designed the VRod motor, HD built it. Big difference.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Fun fact. Erik Buell designed the V-Rod engine in the late 80's when working for Harley. Harley shelved it. Porsche designed the liquid cooling system.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
Indian have just built a proper race bike for flat track and like I said..... next year Harley will have it's giftwrapped ass handed to it in the one last place where a harley is almost competetive.

I think I heard something like "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" in the above posts.

Harley has sat on it's fat greasy arse for the past 50+ years. Harley have the tech and the money.... shame they let their balls shrivel up and drop off....

Historic Ditchpumps Forever!!!!

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Fun fact. Erik Buell designed the V-Rod engine in the late 80's when working for Harley. Harley shelved it. Porsche designed the liquid cooling system.
100% false.

How many here attended the 1 school in the world that teaches future Harley techs how the product operates and even had an entirec6 week course just for learning the brands history? How many of you have ever been into a vrod engine? Spent time on the dyno testing a vrod destroyer and several other vrods?

Harley claims it was a "joint engineering effort". Porshe redesigned the entire engine. Its glaringly obvious who designed them once you get into them.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Slow, old tech bikes can be cool. But Harley has outlived their relevance. There are no new Harleys out there that are genuinely BETTER than its competition. Everything they currently do is done better somewhere else, and usually for cheaper. Even the vintage looking Indian Chief is way ahead of a comparable Harley in comfort, performance, and technology, and in my opinion aesthetics as well. At what point will people stop buying inferior machines in the name of an image?
Full disclosure, I know that my vehicles aren't the best in the market, but they are relevant, simple, reliable and affordable. Harley is none of these, except maybe simple, mechanically speaking.

·
Registered
477 Posts
100% false.

How many here attended the 1 school in the world that teaches future Harley techs how the product operates and even had an entirec6 week course just for learning the brands history? How many of you have ever been into a vrod engine? Spent time on the dyno testing a vrod destroyer and several other vrods?

Harley claims it was a "joint engineering effort". Porshe redesigned the entire engine. Its glaringly obvious who designed them once you get into them.
According to Erik, he started working on that engine in the late 80's.

Quote from Erik.

"We were actually supposed to have a water-cooled bike out by 1998, but that became the motor, Harley Davidson decided to take the motor and changed it into a cruiser motor and that became the V-Rod."

·
Registered
477 Posts
Slow, old tech bikes can be cool. But Harley has outlived their relevance. There are no new Harleys out there that are genuinely BETTER than its competition. Everything they currently do is done better somewhere else, and usually for cheaper. Even the vintage looking Indian Chief is way ahead of a comparable Harley in comfort, performance, and technology, and in my opinion aesthetics as well. At what point will people stop buying inferior machines in the name of an image?
Full disclosure, I know that my vehicles aren't the best in the market, but they are relevant, simple, reliable and affordable. Harley is none of these, except maybe simple, mechanically speaking.
People will never stop buying them. They've built a lifestyle around them. Made them a status symbol.

When I'm out on any of my old bikes, the older Harley guys are friendly as can be. The started on CB's, XS's, Triumph, Norton, etc. They remember them fondly. The young guys, they're the dicks buying into a lifestyle. Anything vintage, to them, is junk, and you only ride it because you can't afford a Harley. Same guys who are friendly as can be when the Heritage makes an appearance.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
According to Erik, he started working on that engine in the late 80's.

Quote from Erik.

"We were actually supposed to have a water-cooled bike out by 1998, but that became the motor, Harley Davidson decided to take the motor and changed it into a cruiser motor and that became the V-Rod."
Yea he worked for harley when the vr1000 engine was designed by harley, and it sucked, and they took it to porshe, which re-engineered it. Truthfully, the v-rod engines are a major departure from what harley had going.

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Dude it's not like Harley can't fail based on their shitty product. They've been on the brink multiple times, and if not for some extreme political measures would not be in existence today.

However, I believe the Twin Cam platform is ultimately what has saved them for now. If they start building water cooled big twins, i'm not sure how the fans will respond. Time will tell.

I like the 750s. I was very excited to hear bout them in 2012.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The V1000 may have been a bit more competitive had they raced it ten years earlier. That engine was a decade old when they finally put it on the track.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dude it's not like Harley can't fail based on their shitty product. They've been on the brink multiple times, and if not for some extreme political measures would not be in existence today.

However, I believe the Twin Cam platform is ultimately what has saved them for now. If they start building water cooled big twins, i'm not sure how the fans will respond. Time will tell.

I like the 750s. I was very excited to hear bout them in 2012.
Harley has been building liquid cooled big twins since 2014.

My grandfather bought a 2013 Ultra in '14 to stay away from the first year liquid cooled.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Tube frame Buell: poor man's Vincent. It hates you and stays broken.

Reactions: DohcBikes
21 - 36 of 36 Posts