Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,
I've got a mint Z1000A2 that I'd like to Caff up a bit.
Now the problem is that I don't want to hack it up because some years ago I spent an absolute fortune on restoring and tuning it up into a 'Street Sleeper' that looks standard but really flies, handles and stops.

My initial idea was maybe to transplant the engine into a rickman frame but as nice as that would be, it'll cost a shed load of $$$. So I've been thinking of getting some Tarozzi rearsets, sticking a Guigliari 2/4 seat and clip-ons/acebars(oh no - not that old debate[:0]) as then I can still get some of the effect, take the wife on the back(easy seat swap when necessary) and put it back to looking standard if I have to.

Has anyone got any pics of a similar Joe Bar type set up? I can't seem to find any on the web anywhere.

A mate of mine had his pretty much as I described and I thought it looked pretty cool for such small changes.......

Think part of it's cropped out - dunno why

Cheers anyway

Hilton.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
from what I can see of that bike and what I know from having sold many similar world wide..............

I'll suggest you seek extensive therapy for even considering not just conserving it, selling it for all the money even if it ends up in Norway or Japan

and finding something already brutally raped for a custom project

besides, they are obese and with hinged chassis to compliment dismal brakes

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
from what I can see of that bike and what I know from having sold many similar world wide..............

I'll suggest you seek extensive therapy for even considering not just conserving it, selling it for all the money even if it ends up in Norway or Japan

and finding something already brutally raped for a custom project

besides, they are obese and with hinged chassis to compliment dismal brakes

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ahhh I see you are in the Land of UK

many end up there too and it would seem many POME's don't mind digging deep into their satchels to own them

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ahhh I see you are in the Land of UK

many end up there too and it would seem many POME's don't mind digging deep into their satchels to own them

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truth is, zed thous don't fetch so much money, which stings a bit as I've invested so much into it. Labour of love an all that......

All issues with handling, braking and power have been addressed.....(though agreed, it weighs a ton;)) which is why I kind of want to keep hold of it as it rides near enough to a modern bike.

Yeah, I know the therapy that extensive use of an anglegrinder can give, but please indulge me........however misguided I may seem[:I]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truth is, zed thous don't fetch so much money, which stings a bit as I've invested so much into it. Labour of love an all that......

All issues with handling, braking and power have been addressed.....(though agreed, it weighs a ton;)) which is why I kind of want to keep hold of it as it rides near enough to a modern bike.

Yeah, I know the therapy that extensive use of an anglegrinder can give, but please indulge me........however misguided I may seem[:I]

·
Registered
699 Posts
that bike is stock and beautiful, leave it be and find a mess to fix up. look at my RD thread in my siggy...i didnt rape a pristine bike, i gave love to a bike that desperately needed it. that bike is incredible looking, dont go chopping on that one please!

·
Registered
699 Posts
that bike is stock and beautiful, leave it be and find a mess to fix up. look at my RD thread in my siggy...i didnt rape a pristine bike, i gave love to a bike that desperately needed it. that bike is incredible looking, dont go chopping on that one please!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Tyler, don't worry. I'm not going to take the grinder to this one.
I'm just wanting to do a really mild cafe job on this one. A kind of 'bolt-on/bolt-off' job. Essentially a seat, bars and footrest swap + anything you guys can think of.

I sought grinder therapy with my CB250RS project.......I just love it[8D]

Cheers,
hilton.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Tyler, don't worry. I'm not going to take the grinder to this one.
I'm just wanting to do a really mild cafe job on this one. A kind of 'bolt-on/bolt-off' job. Essentially a seat, bars and footrest swap + anything you guys can think of.

I sought grinder therapy with my CB250RS project.......I just love it[8D]

Cheers,
hilton.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
not an Aussie but have shipped a few of those to your country and some to a few other places

it's not going to fetch what a 900 will, and I'm not passing any judgments, but unless I am just madly in love with what a bike could be

btw...... I just put a huge memory card in my faithful digicam and it too randomly fubar's a picture here and there

thinking I may try reformatting it and stuff it in again

I generally let dollars and sense dictate if it needs to be adopted or is worthy of my efforts

and even with the non-stock stuff on that one

the decision on that one wouldn't take a minute

trade it for two or three whatevers and customize one that runs good but is in need of enough work not to justify putting it back right

I still recall the last one I had, fantastic engine even though the bike was nearly retarded and quite frail electically

but handling and braking were ummmm........ pathetic would be too kind so I'll just leave my opinion at that

crazy is that I am sure it would trade for a couple decent GS bikes

just have a few spare stators on hand

1 - 20 of 29 Posts