Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
do you think it will sell?

·
Registered
699 Posts
white/silver pipes? yuck! the rest of the bike, AMAZING! a little rattle can loving on those pipes and that thing would be the most awesome death trap ever. really, 9k is a good price, most of the ones i have watched have gone for around 15k

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
so does anyone think it will sell for either of the "asking prices" ?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nada lists these cheaper then what i think they are worth to collectors. nada says $8125 for excellent. But yeah, i think it will sell.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
too many correct low miles examples of these available for less than the opening bid for this one to sell

I can lay my hands on several less than 10K mile very originals for less than 6K, locally

jmo

·
Registered
699 Posts
what planet do you live on hack? either way, please get me a ticket there. i have never seen one of these go for under 8k. and the one for 8k needed a lot of work. the one that the guy from HVC sold went for 15. you know where to look dont you! i'm moving to hack country!!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

I can lay my hands on several less than 10K mile very originals for less than 6K, locally

jmo
Really? Let me heal up from my current bout of madness and I may just have you do that.

I'm saying that's a 4-5000 dollar bike. If it had a cherry set of stock bodywork that came with that would help tremendously. Even so no "collector" wants a 38,000 mile bike.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
A friend of mine in Ireland has one in original condition with around 15k on it. Unless he's got really screwed up its a fair performer. Not exactly hole puckering but OK. I didn't like the seating positon but other than that it was alright. Any modern 600 would kill it. Plus he goes nuts trying to find parts.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have to say I kinda agree with hack.....

the bike is not worth it to collectors becase:

1) non stock paint
2) non stock bodywork
3) non-stock chambers

The bike was probably crashed at one point and then rebuilt and painted. The fact that the stock bodywork is absent is a pretty good sign that this is the case.

Granted an RZ500 is a heck of a lot rarer than an RZ350, the bike is just too non-original for a collector to pay a collector price for it.

Don't get me wrong, if I had $9K to blow on a two stroke screamer I totally would but then again I would ride the crap out of it, park it on the street outside, in incliment weather and generally treat it like a cafe racer. Afterall I am not presearving a factory stock machine so who cares.

As for the white pipes, the old heat coatings were white and it was not uncommon to see reeally serious race machines of both the car and bike variety with white headers. well seasoned racebikes would actually have light tan headers because the coating would slowly burn over time. It is funny I see white pipes and I think serious 70's or 80's vintage race machine, others see it and think it looks stupid. Somewhere out there is a pic of a cb1100F with blue painted headpipe in some facne 1980's hightemp coating...now that was ugly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Britten had a blue coating on the headers if I remember correctly.Kind of odd but at the same time it looked pretty trick also.

·
Registered
699 Posts
back in HS when i was building little honda car motors, the DC headers we used a lot were blue ceramic coated...pretty ugly. i didnt think about that being a non original bike...yeah, that might bring the price down. i dont know, i think its awesome anyway.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

back in HS when i was building little honda car motors..
you mean last week.....:D

In all seriousness....nobody here is saying the bike is not badass...it is def badass...and now I want one.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
44 years this year. And I think you'll find that most of that Yams badass performance is in your mind. They can be made go fast but then rideability becomes an issue.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Yeah, the Britten had blue headers. That guy was so ahead of his time, including the paint... Someday, our kids will be racing with blue heat coated headers...wait-n-see...

·
Registered
699 Posts
if i ever have a kid, i'm naming them Britten. That man was a genious and the bikes we ride today would be totally different if he were still around. He was so far ahead of his time and sort of an idol of mine. He had the wrong idea on colors IMO...hahahaha, but his genious far exceded his taste

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

5 years this year geet! I'm getting old!
old?!?!? my ass younging.....

ironically enough though, I do wrench on a honda car motor once in a while.

And by "honda car motor" I mean a 9 second 1/4 mile turbo/nitrous civic...

And by "wrench" I mean stare and and occasionally hand tools to the car's owner who is a friend of mine's younger brother...

Anyway, with the advent of 1500 degree high temp paint in colors you are likely to see all sorts of colors on headers these days.

The brittens look like ufo's, love the shape. Their color schemes though were just godawful. The black and yellow one was so much more eye appealing:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts