Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I don't get it...it's not an XR750. It's not an XLCR (which I almost bought in 1977). Those aren't XR750 heads....or even the dual carb XR1000 street heads.
I can't tell from the ad exactly what he's saying it is. It's a nice custom Harley....but it doesn't appear to be any kind of rare production Harley.

Gimme an original XLCR, XR1000, or non-street XR750 any day.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
699 Posts
that isnt even close to an xr750 motor. geet, has somebody hacked your account? pipes are on the wrong side (not xr heads) and it is kickstart. to my knowledge, xr's were NEVER put on the market with any kind of starting device. it was either nut on the crank shaft or bump start. XR's are also all right shift right brake set ups. plus, the thing is raked. if that is your friends bike, how did you not run over him with the knowledge train that you conduct?? THIS is an XR...

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Thanks...I didn't want to be the one to say it. Looks to me just a collection of various parts.

If you never stood next to a running XR750 you've missed a real treat. One of the meanest sounding engines I've ever heard. They are a complete beast that make other race bikes sound like street bikes.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the bike is a bitsa....but the bike started life as an xr. I have not seen this bike in a long time (years) due to the fact that it has been buried in the back of a warehouse all this time. This is one of the few bikes where I know every owner since it was new, but I also know these guys couldn't leave anything alone and this bike has probably been ground up rebuilt 4 or 5 times.

However 1970 and 1971 XR motors have heads that look just like the standard sportster iron heads. Mid 1971 harley introduced the alloy head for the xr750 which is the more iconic head for the xr and lasted until they made the xr1000. If you look at this pic of a 1970 you can see the old iron xr head:
I believe joey had the original xr heads reworked and the rocker boxes split which is why it looks funny.

here is another xr750 with iron heads and a kick start:

as far as I know the xr had the output shaft for the kickstart but no lever fitted. look at every xr on this page and you will see the nub for the kickstarter:
http://www.ironharley.com/xr750.htm

Of course some of evel's xr's had kickstarts, specifically the wheelie bikes, because it would have been a pain in the ass to bump start them during the show. Incidentally, Joey's bike was a stand in for evils wheelie bike in 1970.

it is not an XLCR because the bike predates the XLCR by 7 years. I do know that Joey rebuilt again later and that is when the XLCR seat was added.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joey was a pro-stock drag racer for a while...all his bikes go fast in a straight line...

cafe bikes don't always have to replicate road racers. A street legal drag bike counts too....

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My favorite all time H-D is the VR1000 that Miguel Duhamel and Thomas Wilson raced. I have some really cool shoots that Ill have to scan and post. Although not the most competitive in the paddock it was really awesome to look at and listen to.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by parks61

quote:A street legal drag bike counts too....
no it doesn't.
-parks
sure it does...you just have to actually take it to the track every so often

·
Registered
699 Posts
a REAL XR is a beutiful piece. The XR in my picture is Steve Murray's Back up bike, owned by Clark Dickel. It dyno'd 102hp, motor built by jim kelly. His "A" bike is owned by Jim Kelly and made 105hp on the dyno. that bike is almost scary sounding! only Kenny Coolbeth's factory harley sounds better. as far as the iron head stuff goes, i guess i am just a youngin...i had no clue that XR's ever had pipes on the "wrong" side. that bike is more of a "busa" than a cafe bike though geet. long low and shitty in the corners. can't believe you are trying to pass that off to us as a cafe bike....

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not trying to pass anything off...if you only knew the war stories this bike has lived...true it is not an old racing xr with a million battle scars from flat tracks across the nation, but don't think for a second this bike had an easy life in the 1970s and 1980s.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the raked out front end either but I want you to think about something, this bike was the street mount of a great drag racer, not a roda racer, and it pretty much a race bike for the street. The only way I think it could be more butch is if it was a street legal tz750.

but whatever, were I rich I would own it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was ther ever a harley that had an easy life in the 70's and 80's?? I mean alot of them had to bareback fat chicks from bar to bar, while trying to chase the vespa's and jap bikes.. I know they call that bike a cafe racer but, when you say xr 750 most think of something a little more like "ON ANY SUNDAY"

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'm no huge fan of Harleys (not a hater though either). But the single most bad assed sounding engine I've ever heard was a nitro-burning, twin mag, XR750 hill climbing death machine. I've been around race engines my whole life, this thing sounded like a full on top fuel dragster (four wheeled type), that was put on steriods, had retard strength, and a bad case of post traumatic stress syndrome. It would literally make your heart skip beats and your hair stand on end. The XR750 is still the only Harley built in the last 40 years that I consider an actual race bike.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:Originally posted by champ

My favorite all time H-D is the VR1000 that Miguel Duhamel and Thomas Wilson raced. I have some really cool shoots that Ill have to scan and post. Although not the most competitive in the paddock it was really awesome to look at and listen to.
I think it was 1994 Daytona that HD showed up with the VR1000. Taken off of the web.

links to the other photos.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/pedro_puku/1994HDVR1000-R_600.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
thinking the XLCH numbers will keep it from selling

he came close my 68XLCH numbers

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Harley has a new XL 1200 module that they only sell in Europe that is cafe'd out. Due to the exchange rate between US and Europe, I don't think you'll ever see that model offered in the US. I read this article in one of the MC rags recently. From the article, it look real nice but was about 16 Grand. This is way beyond my pockets depth, but I could build one.....MMMmmmmm

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pete,

that is benjie's cafe "kit" for Ironhead sportsters up to 1977 (requires shock relocation which you can't do on the later frames). The kit looks really nice and for a while I toyed with the idea of building one but I can't find an ironhead cheap enough.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts