Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently dropped my bike mid-turn due to the center stand catching and got it back together today. It bent the handle bars and broke some lights, not too bad. But since I had it all apart I built a y pipe for it and was testing it this morning. It runs better than it did with the stock exhaust. So i was a block from my house and it just cut out. I pushed it home and I have no spark. I hotwired the kill switch and still nothing.

What would it most likely be on a Cb400t? CDI, Stator windings or coil?
Thank you,

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Absolutely.

Seriously, run through everything with your multimeter.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Always start by reading the battery's voltage output. Like Mark said, get a multimeter. (If you are flat broke, at least get a voltage meter, they only cost a few bucks). Then give us the voltage reading from the battery, and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Ignition switch?

Ken

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
That will run without a battery as it's a CDI system.
You've tweaked a wire somewhere (probably handlebar switch wiring)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the information. I hope it is just a wire to the handlebars. Could it be that the stator is burned out? Would it cut out immediately or would it miss and gradually go out?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Youd run off battery until it wore down.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Possible cut wire in the handle bars that are now grounding the battery out???
trigger wire from signal generator or charge coil, forget which, can't be bothered to look it up
Stop switch is a grounding switch
It wont run off the battery, needs charge coil, low speed and high speed triggers
Low speed triggers were faulty on the real early ones, (78), wont start when they go out (well if you tow it so motor is spinning over 4,500~6,000 it will run on high speed coil)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Wait, are you saying the stator has to be working in order for it to run on battery? Or is that something about something else?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked my ignition switch yesterday, checked fine. I checked the stator and sad to say the exciter coils are good as well as the pulse generator. But, the good news, I found my charging issue. The three charge wires which I found a spec for as less than 10 ohms between any two of the 3 wires. I measured 135 and a break between either first two and the third.
Moving to the coil next, hoping its not the CDI. Any good checks for the CDI?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the coil tonight. The Clymer manual I have calls for .55-.65 on the primary side, I'm getting .9 or so. On the secondary, it calls for 7.2-8.8, I'm getting aboute 16,000. Tried a spare coil I had, same measurements. It faired no better on the bike as expected. Does anyone know if the specs for the coil sound right or what direction I should head next?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts