Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk to me. Ignitions. PVLs. Where can you get them?

Need an ignition for a project. Single cylinder 2stroke.

What are the alternatives to PVLs?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'm a big PVL fan. I've installed four of them so far...freakin bullet proof when done correctly. I literally have not laid a finger on the two in our race bikes in 3 years.

Penton Imports is the PVL distributor in the US. He is the sole distributor source. Our own Aaron P. is a PVL dealer though. It might be a month or so before he's ready to sell though, he's going to be away for a while.

Good chance PVL/Penton already makes a kit to fit your bike. Check here: http://www.pentonimports.com/

I've seen people have problems with them...but in my opinion, in almost all instances it's a case of improper installation. When they say rubber mount the coil...they mean it, etc.

Our bikes are like chain saws...we never even consider the ignition if there is a problem starting. They just work.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
rob, talk to bucky at vir.

he'll get ya one if you dont want to wait for aaron. you wont get any kind of a sweet deal, but he can get em

jc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Unga,

There was a guy in the Netherlands (I think) that sold parts for the smaller race bikes. He also had PVLs for quite a bit cheaper than you could get them for in the US. I don't remember his website but check with FrankC. He's the one that told me about them. emot something or other.

Craig

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I never understood the deal with PVL stuff in the US. It's like 2x what it costs in Europe. I mean they are pretty simple little electrical parts...costs a few bucks to make. Jeez, the stator is $156 (retail)....freakin few plates of metal and some windings...you could get a whole starter motor for a V8 for less than that. Plug caps $22??? for a couple of 25 cent parts?
PVL makes nice stuff...but it's just OEM quality, not NASA stuff. In Europe is seems like a pratical alternative to OEM ignitions...here in the US it's a luxury item.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by craig641

Unga,

There was a guy in the Netherlands (I think) that sold parts for the smaller race bikes. He also had PVLs for quite a bit cheaper than you could get them for in the US. I don't remember his website but check with FrankC. He's the one that told me about them. emot something or other.
Oh yeah, forgot about that guy.
http://www.emot.nl/webwinkel/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=371
Cool. Wonder if it'll work.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
unga,

frank "uch" giannini is a distributer. google giannini racing as there is a contact (email) link on his page. ask him for the "member of the tribe" discount and tell him tex sent you.

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Rob, let me know if you need anything. If you need anything before I get back I can still take care of it.

Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts