Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here.
My name is Grant, I've got a garage full of old Hondas and have had a fun/agrivating time fiiguring them out (they keep following me home!).
Learned to ride on an '79 YZ80 in about well over 20 years ago and have been working on mostly vintage american vehicles most of my adult life. Worked in hot rod shops as a fabricator for many years and have been transfering that to bikes in the last few years.
I also play bass in two bands, go see a lot of bands play, etc, I'm also a photographer and writer(by defualt).
I've been on the Hondatwins board for a while and the MSN CB450 board and I know there is lots of valuable info that can be had here in addition to those (I have been through ALL 29 pages of the tech threads!).
Thanks and oh, yeah, I live in Orange County, California.
-Grant

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Welcome aboard Grant. Hope you find it helpful here...or at least humorous.

JD

·
Registered
50 Posts
You've worked on hotrods.
You own 5 classic, nice looking bikes.
You play in 2 rock bands.
You live in California.

Get yourself a playboy model wife, and that's it man... game over. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
been married already, didn't work out so goo, so I'll stick to reading playboy!
The old chopper is a '66 CB450 that was built as a chopper in probably '71 or 72...hardtailed, fully molded frame, Randy's springer, two rectangle headlights, bascially a full on early 70's long bike chopper (I love that shuff!). Measures over 9 1/2'! I have it on good authority that it was probably painted by Roger Castano (Paint by Raja) who was a famous painter in Orange County back in the day for his Far Out laquer flake, fade, freak dot, lace, etc acid trip paint jobs. in the Mid 70's he locked himself in a closet with a shotgun and a bible and...well...checked out early! Probably huffed too much laquer amoungst other things...I'm working on getting the bike on the road in the next few months, king and queen seat and all!

The other hardtail in the fore ground is some side work I was doing for a friend that does custom paint. It's Paucho (yawn) wishbone frame that I molded...one of the most teedious things one can do with their finger and bondo (insert finger banging joke).

The xmas lights are up all year in the garage, I think of them more as party lights!

Steve, glad you're not alone, we'll have to ride some time (when I fix this:

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
jesus, i thought that was nearly impossible to do on a 350. (those are 350 pisons arent they?)

jc

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote: Hey, I'm not the only member from Orange County anymore!

Hey, I'm not the only member named Grant anymore!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep, 350 pistons...
Was doing about 90 on the freeway on my '68 CL350 with my chick on the back after I sold the bike at the long beach swapmeet...d'oh! go the motor apart right now, rounded up some pistons out of an early parts motor with a fat cam, had a good tensioner in it too.
Where do you get a master link for the cam chain?
I gotta get this back together so the guy can pay me for the rest of it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
a CL350 will do 90 with two people on it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
probably should have taken it a little easier, but it seemed to be running strong...passing Harleys on the freeway and such.
I think maybe a sprocket change and maybe the next bigger jets and it would have been fine...would have.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
When running lean - they always run the very best right before they pop.

I had a feeling that was Raja paint. It was kind of his style. I'd love to see some closeups - I am a vintage custom paint freak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HEre's the best pics of the paint I have at the moment, took them after I got the bike about a year ago...need to roll it out side int he sunshine one of these days and take some more/get it on the road!
kinda dark, but...if it's not Raja then it was probably done by Molly...

And Geeto, if you like wacky old paint jobs check out what my friend/roommate Harpoon just did for a dude in Minnestota. Guy has a Panhead in a VL frame if you are into real (generator) Harleys...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I can't get hardly anybody round here to shoot heavy flake - otherwise every single bike I own would look like a bass boat factory threw up all over my garage. Your roommate is extremely talented.

I still remember lace paintjobs running around NYC in the 1980s - how weird it was to see those wild looking relics (and how ugly everybody thought they were) in the era of design conservatism.

what most people don't realize is that the masking for a lot of that 70's stuff had to be cut by hand. There was not plastic streatchy stripe tape and there wasn't even tape less than an inch wide.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts