Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo my name is Don, I just found this site today. I'm glad to see so many folks still like these old bikes. I am curently working on a '75 CB500t.Ilike the cafe look and since I'm a construction worker in Ca. I have time to work on it.My daily rider is a '71 CB450,K4. IT has aCB500t tank,CL450 front shoe brak,and home made TT pipes.I've got a little over 1k $ in it but I'm haveing loads of fun on it. I dont think I'm ever much threat to actualy race, I just enjoy riding and even more, wrenching on old Hondas.Anyway this CB500 is geting alot more mods than the old 450. I'm curently puting a front end from a '90 CB400f on it. I used new tapered steering bearings for CB500t and they fit the 400 spindle after a little shim under the lower race. The 400 front axle is 20mm dia. so I got new '90 CB400f front wheel bearings and they actualy fit the CB500t disk brake wheel. I had to fab. a spacer,20mm id, to fit between the bearings but it seems to work fine. THe CB400f brake rotor almost fit , I had tosand out the center hole ,just a little and redrill the bolt holes but it all look like its gona work. I'm planning to use a monoshock swingarm from a Xr500 in back. Maby I,ve got more time than sense, but I really like to play with this old stuff. I'll try to post some pics. later, maby even do the project forum. I also try to sell some stuf on E-bay. Anyways I,m glad to find this site and hope To talk sometime, Thanks, Don

·
Registered
854 Posts
Didn't the CB-1's have dual rotors on the front? If so why not go with that to add some killer braking power?

Sounds like a killer build, I would love to see your idea's on the single sided rear. sounds like those can be nightmares.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only found these parts on E-bay so I got what I got I guess,I don't know much about the CB-1 /CB400f except that I liked what parts I got. This set of forks only has mounts for one caliper, I do believe you are right though , I think the CBR600 is the same front end and does have duel disks?, I missed out on those auctions so I'm probably lucky to have whet I got.the XR500 swingarm fit pretty close, I had to spread the frame about 1/4" at the pivot shaft and I dont have any accurate measurements fof mounting the link or shock. Also its much heavyer, I'm thinking maby a XR250 arm might be a better choice. I might still just grind off the monoshock tabs and use duel shocks, that kind of defetes the purpose though, Anyways thanks for the input, It will be a challenge for me to keep up to the caliber of bike projects i've seen on this site, it's a real inspiration for me. thanks again to you all, Don

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finaly got my kids to show me how to post photos. I have some in the project forum now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts