Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go pick up my brother's friends 1990 CBR600 tomorrow. I've been looking for something to get me through till the 750 is done. He called me the other day to let me know he was selling it cause I was interested in it last year. It has around 7,000 miles on it he bought it years back and it wasn't ridden for a number of years, him and my brother took the bike completely apart and redid everything. He recently put new tires, chain, sprockets, and battery on it. It all comes at the good price of a $1000, if I don't get it he was going to put it up for sale and mark up the price. Lucky me, I seriously can't wait to get riding again, hell I would be happy with a moped at this point

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Good score. I raced one back in 88 when they were current I won the WERA SE region C Production championship on it. The only changes from stock were, I put a Fox shock on it, Progressive Suspension fork springs,Metzler tires, EBC brake pads and Russel stainless steel brake lines on it. We also endurance raced one the next year and finished 3rd in Middleweight superbike nationally. It is a great bike.

Ken

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyways we got the bike home today, we replaced the gas in the tank cause it was junk and drove it home, the bad part was the battery was shot and couldn't get the bike over 35mph without it shutting down, made the hour drive last about 2 or 3 hours cause we had to hunt down a dealership that carried a precharged battery, I'm surprised how many don't. We had to keep jumping the battery and moving at 35mph was a pain. Almost died a bunch of times doing 35mph on a 65mph hiway is a bad idea, even with a vehicle behind you with its hazards on. Once I bought a new battery she ran like a top though and she got home quick with zero issues

Very responsive, very fast, a little twitchy handling compared the my 750. I'll post up pics tomorrow, I'm going to take her out tomorrow and practice with her in a development thats being built near me, its nice, they laid out all the road but no house, it has a couple nice straight away and a couple nice turns. It should get me familar with this bike quickly

·
Registered
326 Posts
Congrats on the bike!
I had a mint Charcoal/red 1988 CBR600,2,800 mi when I bought it.
The Dude I bought it from stored it in his sisters LIVING room and it looked cleaner than a new one on the show room floor.LOL.
I miss that bike even to this day! It was the BEST 600cc street bike available when it came out.

The only things I didn't care for was.
1. The stock Dunlop tires were straight up JUNK.
2. First gear was way too short(I took off from a stop in second most of the time).
3. It was somewhat underpowered.
4. Stock suspension was off for me as the front was too soft and the rear felt like it was sticking,not smooth and slow to rebound so it would try to kick out on rough pavement.
5. Not a gripe,but a full aluminum frame and swing arm would've been killer on this great machine!

Things I liked about it.
1. It was physically small and comfortable for me(I'm 5'3")
2. Handled very well and well balanced
3. Smoothest running engine on a bike I ever owned or rode
4. Carbs-No other bike I have seen has ever been so spot on right from the factory. It would put most F.I. bikes to shame even the ones out now.
5. Great looking machine,great color combo and full bodywork was sweet looking.
6. Good wind protection(only my pant cuffs would get wet in a light rain)
7. very smooth transmission and very light clutch feel
8. Honda fit and finish was beyond reproach,even on this value based machine. You would have to get a micro-scope out to find a flaw in it anywhere.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took her out to practice on today. My 750 was easier to ride but then again it wieghed a 100lbs more and made 10-15hp less. The brakes are awesome, I've truely thought I had damn good brakes on my 750 and I'm wrong haha, this btw is my first "modern" bike. Hopefully if the weather holds out I will be taking her to work tonight. Well here are some pics

I have the side fairings still, one is cracked around all the mount points, the guy I bought it off likes it naked, and I got to say I like it too. I might put them on later and see what they look like but I will need new ones since the mounts are all messed up

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Looks good. I always raced mine with out the lowers since if I crashed I didn't want to mess them up. I think the CBRs look good with just the upper. Looks like you have some decent tires on there, but is the front mounted backwards? I can't see exactly what it is but generally on a front, the grooves go the other way for water dispersal under braking. You might want to check it out. So now, just get out and ride it. In my opinion, if you are going to enjoy vintage bikes, it is nice to have something dependable to ride if you want to while you work on the project. It really can prevent frustration.

If you want to sell your busted lowers cheap, let me know. I have a project on another race bike in mind that they might work for.

Ken

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a battlax front tire and its mounted right. Yea this bike is very dependable, it starts up instantly. My 750 was a little angry to be woken up and would toss and turn before she would "wake" up haha. The 600 is hands down a better bike, but I will have more fun with the 750 cause its my bike because I rebuilt her from the frame up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts