Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
i wish i had webspace again. hey, isnt that dent in the garage from the top of jeremys head??? or maybe its from the champ.

i know what you mean zach. we're doing some of the same things i think. and ive heard alot of other people with the same suspension theory. it seems to make sense. especially if you have centifugal force at work and the front begins to go away, there wouldnt be anything there to stop it except dirt, grass, turtles, or airfence. but if its more verticle, then the suspension absorbs any kind of irregularities in the track surface, yeah, like we'd ride on something irregular. that t10 area is a killer though. well, it used to be. the speeds down the hill and that bump, ug, i hated that thing. we've all had a front row seat to a highside there. (jeremy??)

ok, blah blah blah, hang off....blah blah, drag your knee....blah blah blah....go fast.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Dang guys...tight ten is a blast. Just straight line that little chicane wide open, over the black stuff, over the grass, just get the weight off the seat and open it up. Sure the bike squirms around, wide open baby and point it to 11.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
655 Posts
YEEEEE-HAW johnnyB!!! hold 'er wide open! let those 20 ponies tear up the asphalt!
ahhhhhh, yea, i know, i'm an asshole. it just doesn't get old making fun of how slow our bikes are though. i agree about the tight 10, i'm scared of the regular 10 too johnny, don't worry you're not alone.

Z

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
TWENTY THREE FUCKING HP DUDE !!!!

You are so toast next year... I'm gonna drink nothing but milk for a week and hang out in your garage farting all day long.

Ok ok... it's 22.66 hp...but Aaron and I have plans...there's more to come.

JohnnyB

PS... Now that you mention it...maybe that's why I like the tight ten so much...not nearly as threatening as the old ten. Freakin suspension on these old bikes just don't seem up to that corner no matter what you do. Even an old 20hp bike wide open in 4th picks up speed pretty quick on the way down the hill.

Edited by - jbranson on Nov 08 2004 04:44:16 AM

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You guys have me LMAO this morning. It's gonna be a good day.
(JB, I have to agree, ten I just went over the asphalt over the grass over the hills to grandmas house as fast as i could. Everyone else wa trying to stick to the pavement, and it was just easier to say fuck it and go fast as you could in a straight line.)
s

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:pS... Now that you mention it...maybe that's why I like the tight ten so much...not nearly as threatening as the old ten. Freakin suspension on these old bikes just don't seem up to that corner no matter what you do. Even an old 20hp bike wide open in 4th picks up speed pretty quick on the way down the hill.
That's why you get your ass up off the seat. Lift with your legs to get the weight on the pegs, roll on the gas before passing that nasty assed lump of pavement in the apex, let the bike drift a little on the pavement transitions, and open it up WFO.

Using your legs as another suspension really helps settle the bike over those bumps. My bike wieghs 260, I weigh 200 in my gear, so if I can isolate my wieght from the bike, it'll stick better. And when you change direction (like turns 6-7-8), don't yank on the handlebars to move your body around. Lift and move with your legs. Yanking on the handlebars will unsettle the front tire. I've accidentally pulled a wheelie through there yanking on the bars moving myself from the left to the right of the bike.

As far as hanging off, I don't go hog wild. Just an asscheek off the seat and knee out. I've only saved a rear tire slide with my knee once and it was more luck than anything. But if I didn't have my knee out there in the first place, I probably would've crashed. It was coming out of T2 on a weekend with the vintage cars, and they leak oil worse than any sidecar I've ever seen.

Another thing to consider... when you stick your knee out, it slows you down. Lotsa drag. Good in braking zones, but in fast corners if you're not dragging it, its just out there slowing you down.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:And when you change direction (like turns 6-7-8), don't yank on the handlebars to move your body around. Lift and move with your legs. Yanking on the handlebars will unsettle the front tire. I've accidentally pulled a wheelie through there yanking on the bars moving myself from the left to the right of the bike.
I also like passing people on the rumblestrip on the right in turn 7. You're mostly upright there anyways, and most people drift to the left when they're blocking through there....

If you really want to see something, watch one of the Wood brothers on a supermotard through 11-12. They use the rumblestrips as berms and little jumps...

Edited by - ungawunga on Nov 08 2004 08:57:13 AM

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
yeah, ok rob, ive followed you into t1 and theres more than an ass cheek hanging off...that left knee is planted.

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Rob,
You passed me once in 7 ...or the exit of 6 between me and the edge of the pavement...there was about 18" there...you zipped right through (during a practice) it was a smooth move. Didn't bother me in the least...now in a race I make sure I only leave about 12" there. That means I only have to worry about Frank C.

I spend a lot of time of the pegs, definately through the old ten, and the rough part of new ten.. I know the day after a race I feel like I've been skiing.

Aaron,
I heard JD's dick looks like a baby's arm holding a softball. There's something to be said for big heads.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
655 Posts
i wish i could just agree with people 100%, it would make life so much easier. but that's not what this forum's about is it?
i think Rob's right about using your feet and body to move the bike, BUT i think there are exceptions. on the subject of turns 6-7-8 at loudon: i haven't decided whether this is better or not so bear with me. when i'm pushing hard on my 125 i come out of turn 6 and go full tuck behind the fairing as soon as i can (usually by the time i get to the outside apex), then just pull on the bars to negotiate turns 7 & 8, until it's time for brakes and turn 9. i think i probably lose some roll speed by using only the front contact patch to steer, but at the same time i'm convinced that i save roll speed by being tucked in all the way from the exit of turn 6 to the exit of 8/entry of 9. it's worth noting that it's very hard to do this, and most of the time i do lean off and move the bike with my body because i don't have the balls to be leaned over full-tuck cresting a hill at that speed. what do you guys think? would i gain more speed by being tucked in or by moving the bike with my body and not scrubbing speed with the front tire?
i'm stoked that i finally have a question for you guys instead of just preaching like i know everything. teach me teach me.

Z

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Zack,
Being on the pegs doesn't necessarily mean I'm not in a tuck. I often get my butt off the seat while my chest is almost on the tank. I don't mean my butt is up in the air...but most of the weight is off the seat.

Don't know if any of you are/were horse riders but it always reminds me of when I was a kid chasing the friends through the woods on a horse, you crouch in the stirrups but keep your head down by the horse's neck..jockey style.

It seems to let the bike move around underneath you to it's happy spot, while still keeping your upper body out of the wind, and your center of gravity low.

I'm a loose rider for the most part..when things get hairy I tend to go pretty loose on the bike and let it do what it wants.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh My god I never realized how big his head was , If a race is close Jeremy will always win by a head . I dont remember his head being that big , Did his body shrink? My god its bobble head Jeremy. Where do ya buy a helmet for that?

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:would i gain more speed by being tucked in or by moving the bike with my body and not scrubbing speed with the front tire?
dude, you're moving through there so much faster than I ever have on that 125... I'm sure things are different, and that you have much less time to get sorted through those corners.

Time to go to the gym to do squats.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
i love that picture, how fucking nuts is that?? do you think hes looking where he wants to go, or looking at the fools trying to catch him?? and he really doesnt seem to be leaning off all that much. thanks for the pic z.

jc

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.