Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hola. found this site looking for a picture of a cb350. seen a couple of 'cafe racers' in dc since i moved here. after my dual sports got stolen, i'm looking to build a fun city bike. red of course. and vintage cuz they're a little cheaper to insure. and cooler.

anyone that's local, gimme a holler. help me with bikes and i can help you with old land cruisers...if that's what you're into.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i'm in baltimore. i dont have a landcruiser. i have a cb350 though.

jc

·
Registered
896 Posts
hey new dude welcome....we need to get more vintage bikes on the road good luck with your search....red is the way to go, no more oil leaks...

"Ride Fast and Take Chances"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good stuff. anyone that's local will probably hear from me when i find potential bikes to purchase. not looking to race, just something for good basic transportation in a more efficient, stylish manner. of course i enjoy the freedom of a bike vs. being in a car.

reason i mentioned cruisers b/c they are vintage also (same or similar design from 1966 or so on). im a decent wrench with a garage, not yet stocked however. but it's dry.

keep me posted on potential project rides. thanks.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there were a few land cruiser guys in the building i used to live in. they are cool vehicles, but god aweful slow. make the trip up to summit point for the wera motorcycle races. its out near harpers ferry. maybe an hour and a half from you. (3 hours by land cruiser if you use the roads, just 45 mins through the woods) i guarentee you will want to race then. you'll take that headlight and tailight off and will be buying leathers. wera even now has a stock 350 honda class. you can run a basically stock motored honda on a grid with other ones. its alot of fun and there are more and more guys doing it.

j

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well mine is an '87 with an '85 motor that was designed, for the most part, in the late 50's (with subtle changes of course). i work for an environmental group and about 2 weeks after my boss commented on my 'save the bay' bumper sticker, i threw a rod on the way to philly. so now she's waiting on a diesel so i can run bio. and yes, they are extremely slow but i could fit my dr650 into the back with no problems.

i was checking out the racing video and yes, very cool stuff. but i don't want this to become a dangerous money pit like my other hobbies (whitewater kayaking, cruisers, mountain biking, adventure 'travel' in places they say not to go to). i just may see what's going on though.

on another note, i never realized the cb was so small, when compared to say a harley sportster or even a new cbr600. i am definitely hooked without even riding one yet. hope i'm not disappointed. doubt it, as my little xt225 was THE most fun bike i've ever ridden, of any type.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
they are small, if you want one that goes fast, i know the guys. people are pretty reliably sqeezing 50hp out of them. they are alot of fun, but not the excitement of a cbr600. i have friends that race, ice climb, mountain climb, x-coutry ski and all kinds of other stuff. its not the money ppit you might think. and compared to kayaking, way more exciting. just dont sell the kayak.

jc

·
Registered
896 Posts
i'd have to say joe there is a difference between the old cb's and the cbr600....there is just no feeling like getting down on an old bike, hopeing that everything is bolted on and what about those false neutrals? that is a blast hitting the gas and just reving out going 70...60...50.... well you get it, i was at daytona honda the other week drooling on a cbr600, so i should keep my trap shut. i didn't buy it though i got a '75 CL360 instead, my wife's going to love it when i'm done with it....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dude, no argument here. the old bikes are my favorite. but once you get on something close to modern, built within the past 10 years, and close to one litre, first gear at 80 seems ok too. not that i see any reason to have that kind of excess. its pretty much a waste, thats actually why im a bigger fan of the 600's then 750's. the litre and bigger are just a rocketship waste of time and power for the most part. i think. anyway, i was just trying to make the obvious point that theres no reason to compare a cbr600 to a cb350. unless youre saying they both have 2 wheels. the cbr is just 30 years of developement ahead of the 350. think of the wright flyer compared to the newest ww2 technology. and yes, watching things vibrate off is fun. i remember when i first got my bonneville going. i took off up 93 through boston to go to wakefield. (about 15 miles or so right aaron??) my bike shut off on the highway, for just a minute. then fired right back up and kept going. i pulled off of the side of the road and checked everything out. it ran fine no problems. get back on the road, does it again. i notice that the key is being bounced around in the ignition switch. the 35 year old switch was so lose and worn that the key and chain could just bounce around. i only use the key in it now. one day the key will fall out. but its part of the original bike. part of the story and interest. cbr's dont have those kinds of problems, yet.

j

·
Registered
896 Posts
someday you may customize....the cbr's don't really need anything but the older bikes alway can use some upgrades and i love that kinda stuff....maybe i should just build choppers, but i love my back, it's already mess up from surfing but that's a whole other topic....

Edited by - chikor on Jan 29 2004 8:53:59 PM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all of that is true, however i think i was misinterpreted. i was comparing them in relation to size, not necessarily performance or fun-factor. smaller bikes are imminently more flickable (in my opinion). i feel more comfortable on them. the gas tank alone on a modern sport bike is huge in comparison to those on a dakar-prepped ktm.

speaking of backs, the reason i'd bought dual-sports (besides their uber utility and the ability to play in the dirt) was the comfortable riding position compared to my buddy's r1 and busa (god im scared of that thing). im not sure how i feel riding in the forward position for any amount of time. then again, i've never done it. however, that's of the reasons im attracted to cafe racers. now my question is, are clip-ons adjustable as to where they sit and are they more comfortable than the 'clubman' style bars? i don't like uprights on anything other than a true dirtbike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts