Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Nico here, I'm new to the community and looking for some guidance on possibly my first BMW CR purchase. I'm a novice on motorcycles and don't want to be taken for a 'ride'馃槈

The bike I'm looking at is a R100RS BMW 1983 R Series. Apparently 100 K's on clock for R79 000?. See specs and pics below, I need to know what questions to ask and if the price is in line. Please help馃檶

Recently converted and restored BMW Cafe Racer. She's the most desirable of the airhead models, the R100RS with the benefit of the front oil cooler.
  • Full soft tail conversion with adjustable shocks
  • LED Headlight, Tail Lights & Indicators
  • Wider Handle Bars, New Grips & Built in Mirrors
  • Acewell Speedo / Rev Counter Unit
  • Custom Seat, Hidden Battery & Custom Airbox Eliminator
  • Custom Exhaust
  • Custom Seat in Genuine Cognac Leather
Resprayed in the original BMW gunmetal grey over matt black.

Attachments

Registered
Best advice you could possibly get is do not buy a motorcycle that has been CR modified by somebody else. The person that chopped it is the only guy that sees any increased value in a POS CR. These guys want more money for these 'creations' then the original bike is or was worth and all they did was remove stuff and paint what is left black.
Do you see Any one single upgrade there that is worth extra money? I see something that looks more like an abortion.

Keep shopping (y) there are still lots of un-*****d motorcycles out there.

Registered
"Acewell Speedo / Rev Counter Unit" They didn't come with one of those, so the odometer reading means absolutely nothing. ... except you know roughly how far the instrument cluster has traveled.

"Custom Exhaust" Translation: not street legal in any developed country.

"Custom Seat, Hidden Battery & Custom Airbox Eliminator"
Translation, the seat was his first ever attempt at repairing something that should have been replaced. The battery which is not the correct one for the bike has been stuck up high on the frame where it should not be, using longer cables then you would ever want to use and electrically wired by a hack amateur. The air box was not eliminated by anything of value it was simply removed and the cheapest possible pods attached in their place.

"Cognac Leather" :LOL: The leather came from a dead cow and Cognac is either a place in France or a really good form of alcohol.

"Full soft tail conversion with adjustable shocks" That's imaginary, those are stock shocks, likely worn out and the only thing adjustable there is spring pre-load, the owner has no clue about motorcycle suspensions.

"most desirable of the airhead models" no, thats total BS, it was one of the cheapest.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the awesome advice. Scared the shit out of me but thx. So the question is if i鈥檓 not able to do a custom build but want a solid good value for money cafe racer where do i look and what do I pay馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
"most desirable of the airhead models" no, thats total BS, it was one of the cheapest.
Not so sure it was one of the cheapest, and certainly had one of the best fairings that I've ever sat behind.

Attachments

Registered
The bike you really want is stuffed in the back of a heated garage and being sold by a guys widow after he passed away leaving the motorcycle in pristine seldom used or slightly crashed original condition :cool: and a title showing when it was last plated. and keys.

most BMW's are nice motorcycles to own, most have slightly uninspiring handling, but motor really really well. 1980's brakes and suspension :/ are just good enough, nothing special.

BMW and Moto Guzzi used wind tunnels to design some but not all of their bikes.

If I was wanting to build a classic looking "cafe Racer" and had little to nothing spectacular expensive to start with, I would base it on a Moto Guzzi, they look like they are all motor, because they are, simple to the point of industrial and way more sexy.

Registered
Not so sure it was one of the cheapest, and certainly had one of the best fairings that I've ever sat behind.
You are comparing 1980's R bikes to bigger 1980's R bikes :unsure: BMW makes way more then just 1980's R bikes. The one he is looking at is the cheap one with big jugs and no bodywork.

No expensive wind tunnel designed fairing, it's not an RS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts