Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I recently purchased these aftermarket indicators for my build.
No matter how I connect them, if I connect more then one to each side the flasher relay starts clicking and both indicators flash slowly and are dim.
Ive checked relay and wiring, all ok.
Crap indicators?

·
Banned
258 Posts
Probably need an led relay.
They aren't LED according to the link.
Probably just needs to buy decent units as these just seem to be ebay crap

If they flash slower than before thats a sign of increased resistance (not decreased like an led would provide).
My bet is your new units have a higher wattage rating that the standard items.
They are 21w each according to the advert.
What are your standard bulbs?

·
Banned
258 Posts
that's your problem then you have increased the wattage by more than double.
Your indicator unit uses a bimetallic strip to control the amount of flashes per minute.
If you increase the wattage being used by the bulbs in very lamens terms you use more juice that would be used to heat up and move the bimetallic strip.
So that strip now takes longer to heat because you have used more of the juice slowing down the flashers accordingly.

I have explained that as simply as i know how.

Good news is 21w vs 10w should mean brighter better lights.
You just need to change the flasher unit to one rated for 42w of draw (front and back added together)
Also check that the existing wiring and switch is man enough to handle the extra current. It shouldn't be an issue but if it is you could always wire them via a relay powered by thicker cables.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
... the OEM wires will handle it, otherwise the wires that came on those cheap replacement signals would fuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts