Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, being that I'm lazy and don't feel like searching for a wiring diagram, why don't you find one for us and post it?

...but, generally speaking, the three wires you've got OUGHT to do it. In a stock setup, yellow and blue go to your points, black/white goes to your coils, and black and green are probably for a different system - most likely your horn, which would be mounted in the same place. Either way, black should be hot and green is ground, so if you need a hot wire or a ground, there they are.

Is the EE a Dyna as well? If so, it should be supplied with a harness of its own, in which case all you need is the black/white lead - you can ignore the others entirely. Otherwise, I suspect the yellow/blue wires resurface somewhere - in a std setup they run between the points and coils, so they don't have far to go.

Where are you at on this?

·
Registered
278 Posts
MikeO,

At that stage in the system, black/white is hot - if it goes straight to ground, the coils never fire (not to mention that wire probably burns).

The black/white carries power to the coils, and the yellow and blue wires give the coils a return to ground which, when unavailable (i.e. points open), causes the coils to take the next available path to ground - across the plugs, exactly what you're after.

SO, b/w is hot and you still need a ground strap. I'd try mounting the way you were intending and see if the ground straps are conductive enough to give you a good ground to frame. If not, you could solder a good fat wire across the coil bodies and bolt it to the frame.

A

1 - 2 of 2 Posts