Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the website but looking for some advice and hopefully some of you guys can help me identify what some of these parts are so I can try to replicate on my interceptor 650.

A. What type of tyres are these and size? They appear bigger and fill the arch well. I would be looking at keeping the standard rims. Possibly spraying them black as pictured.

B. Looking for a bench style seat as shown in pics and a bates style tail light. Any recommendations? BAAK do a smart shorty seat (no welding) but not keen on cutting the frame.

Apologies if any of the above is silly but I'm sure you can tell I'm pretty new to all this. Any help and advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
I can tell you why the hugely heavy oversize front tire is a bad thing to put on it.

Just wait until you go over a bumpy railway track crossing and see how much more the front wheel makes your frame and forks, twist wiggle and shake.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Not to mention that it wasn't designed for that rim profile so a flat front tire
... you ever had one of those? flat front tire.

Your tire may well come completely off the rim when that happens and that would seriously suck.
Make the saddle,
use real leather glued onto naugahyde to make it waterproof. It makes an awesome good saddle. the tuck and roll treatment would be almost impossible to home brew nicely.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Look at how dinky the front axle is
and it has a 2 pot front brake, that's unacceptable if you want it to stop good.

Not hard to see where you could improve the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, that's the sort of advise needed. Safety overrules looks any day so won't be pursuing the tyres.

Re seat, il look into making one. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
For that bike, spend your money on front brake and suspension upgrades,
& keep a close watch for frame cracks developing almost anywhere.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
For that bike, spend your money on front brake and suspension upgrades,
& keep a close watch for frame cracks developing almost anywhere.
That bike is actually pretty good. Harris is now owned by Eicher motors (Enfield also) and is doing all the chassis developement. The forks are drop-in cartridges away from being ok, to good. The brakes are adequate for the performance it arrives with. Enfield has come a long long way in the last 10nyears.

But god man, please, no clown shoes!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What would you recommend for similar value? Only intend on riding it in dry summer weather and mainly around town with the odd country ride now and then.
There's honestly not a bad bike being built now. The Street Twin was a great bike. Well Made, handled well, relatively quick...it just didn't do it for me.

Now admittedly, I am a fan of Royal Enfield Motorcycles. Have been since they were actually built in England. I think that the Interceptor is a nice bike at a great price point. That being said, I sold off my Triumph for an Enfield classic 500. I like thumpers. I know when I get on this modern bike running technology from a previous era, I'll know I'm on a machine and not an appliance.

It doesn't sound to me that that is one of your hot points and that's fine. We all ride for our own experiences.

That said, for 10,000 there are quite a few bikes to choose from other than the two you've mentioned. Do some shopping, but I wouldn't count the Interceptor out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts