·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i love it. i want it. i suck.

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the 1000cc ones are the one to buy. I've ridden both a vf1000f and a vfr1000 and both bikes are awsome. I also own vfour victory and watch it occasionally because honda v fours have such a great sound.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the 1000cc ones are the one to buy. I've ridden both a vf1000f and a vfr1000 and both bikes are awsome. I also own vfour victory and watch it occasionally because honda v fours have such a great sound.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rarely see any of these for sale, especially 1000s. The vf500 was reported to be the best handling of the interceptors - of any bike available in '84. It's the minimalist bodywork that really does it for me. A friend has a v65 Magna, and the motor does sound sweet, and plenty of power. The friend, Kim, is a stunning beauty, too.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rarely see any of these for sale, especially 1000s. The vf500 was reported to be the best handling of the interceptors - of any bike available in '84. It's the minimalist bodywork that really does it for me. A friend has a v65 Magna, and the motor does sound sweet, and plenty of power. The friend, Kim, is a stunning beauty, too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I love those bikes. I posted about my obsession last year sometime, but I never ended up buying one. That's a good price if it is as nice as he says (and it looks).

·
Registered
353 Posts
I love those bikes. I posted about my obsession last year sometime, but I never ended up buying one. That's a good price if it is as nice as he says (and it looks).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the 1000s were pricey when new, thus fewer made and sold. The VF1000F has the same or similar bodywork as the other interceptors, the VFR was the full fairing one and honda's first race replica.

All the interceptors are top heavy bikes (most hondas of that era were overall), but I guess by sheer size alone you could consider the 500 the least top heavy and therefore best handeling. It will still feel like you are falling into a turn rather than leaning into it. I think it would be a bit of an exaggeration to call it the best handling bike ever made up until 1984, I could see best in class, but at 500ccs not a lot of sportbikes were in its class. I will say this the 500cc interceptors are like roaches, damn near hard to kill and everywhere I turn - I turn up another one. They are not rare bikes because few were made, they are rare as clean bikes because there were so few that were not abused in ways that make me blush.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the 1000s were pricey when new, thus fewer made and sold. The VF1000F has the same or similar bodywork as the other interceptors, the VFR was the full fairing one and honda's first race replica.

All the interceptors are top heavy bikes (most hondas of that era were overall), but I guess by sheer size alone you could consider the 500 the least top heavy and therefore best handeling. It will still feel like you are falling into a turn rather than leaning into it. I think it would be a bit of an exaggeration to call it the best handling bike ever made up until 1984, I could see best in class, but at 500ccs not a lot of sportbikes were in its class. I will say this the 500cc interceptors are like roaches, damn near hard to kill and everywhere I turn - I turn up another one. They are not rare bikes because few were made, they are rare as clean bikes because there were so few that were not abused in ways that make me blush.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best handling - not my words. That was what I recall reading at the time. Yeah it was 20yrs ago, and my memory is not perfect. It was probably something like, "Best handling bike of the year."

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best handling - not my words. That was what I recall reading at the time. Yeah it was 20yrs ago, and my memory is not perfect. It was probably something like, "Best handling bike of the year."

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My son and I bought an '86 VFR700 for him to ride on our cross country trip back in 2003. We got it with around 18k miles on it, paid about $1,300. He has put just over 20,000 miles on it in about 4 years. It is indeed one of the best bikes I've been involved with. Low maintenance so far, looks cool, sounds cool, has a very cool riding position. He loved it on the trip.
The only thing I could wish for is that it was a VFR750. Contrary to Geeto, I think that's the bike to own, unless you're just talking about pre '86. (Can't remember when the 750 was introduced.)
But then again, I haven't ridden a 1000 so maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about, I just think the 3/4 liter bike is the one to have. It had a fairly significant increase in power over the "tarif" bike, more than you would suspect from 50 more cc's anyway.
Good ones are hard to find now.

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My son and I bought an '86 VFR700 for him to ride on our cross country trip back in 2003. We got it with around 18k miles on it, paid about $1,300. He has put just over 20,000 miles on it in about 4 years. It is indeed one of the best bikes I've been involved with. Low maintenance so far, looks cool, sounds cool, has a very cool riding position. He loved it on the trip.
The only thing I could wish for is that it was a VFR750. Contrary to Geeto, I think that's the bike to own, unless you're just talking about pre '86. (Can't remember when the 750 was introduced.)
But then again, I haven't ridden a 1000 so maybe I don't know WTF I'm talking about, I just think the 3/4 liter bike is the one to have. It had a fairly significant increase in power over the "tarif" bike, more than you would suspect from 50 more cc's anyway.
Good ones are hard to find now.

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I'm pretty sure the first year VFR750 was 1983. the 750s are probably better handlers than the 1000s because allt VFRs are top heavy and the biggest ones seem to suffer from this problem the most, but the power on the vf1000f I rode was very much like a modern sport tourer, with nearly 120hp (116 if you want to split hairs) on tap she flew effortlessly and smooth. Yes she was top heavy but so am I and really I didn't notice it that much. Turth be told the 750 probably is a better bike but I trade a little handeling for a little more hp anyday.

this is almost identical to the one I rode:

The VF1000R however was quite opposite. First of all she looks dead sexy, much better than the other interceptors. This bike was built at a time when honda basically setup its racebike for street riding and let her loose. There wasn't much different than the street models and the endurance racers. She really felt like a race bike on the street which was how I imagined honda wanted it to feel:

she had a 10.7:1 comp ratio and 130hp. My father's 1986 Ninja 1000R (worlds fastest production bike for 1986) seems tame by comparison.

P.S. one of my goals is to have this VFR honda, parked next to my pop's ninja, parked next to a 1986 GSXR1100, parked next to an 1987 FZR 1000. If I accomplish that I would have one of every model of the fastest bikes of the 1980s.

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 18 2007 4:46:48 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I'm pretty sure the first year VFR750 was 1983. the 750s are probably better handlers than the 1000s because allt VFRs are top heavy and the biggest ones seem to suffer from this problem the most, but the power on the vf1000f I rode was very much like a modern sport tourer, with nearly 120hp (116 if you want to split hairs) on tap she flew effortlessly and smooth. Yes she was top heavy but so am I and really I didn't notice it that much. Turth be told the 750 probably is a better bike but I trade a little handeling for a little more hp anyday.

this is almost identical to the one I rode:

The VF1000R however was quite opposite. First of all she looks dead sexy, much better than the other interceptors. This bike was built at a time when honda basically setup its racebike for street riding and let her loose. There wasn't much different than the street models and the endurance racers. She really felt like a race bike on the street which was how I imagined honda wanted it to feel:

she had a 10.7:1 comp ratio and 130hp. My father's 1986 Ninja 1000R (worlds fastest production bike for 1986) seems tame by comparison.

P.S. one of my goals is to have this VFR honda, parked next to my pop's ninja, parked next to a 1986 GSXR1100, parked next to an 1987 FZR 1000. If I accomplish that I would have one of every model of the fastest bikes of the 1980s.

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 18 2007 4:46:48 PM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Mmmm, that 1000R does make one hella case for itself. Geet, I can imagine any one of those bikes being the pride of the collection, never mind having all of 'em. Reminds me of the article in Cycle World some time ago about the collector dude that has all the racing VFRs, as well as a bunch of GSXRs and Kawi's from early Superbike days. He got a call from a friend at HRC, they were looking to liquidate all of their VFR racing parts. He got several pallets of genuine HRC VFR parts for around $15 grand I think, including Freddie Spencer spares. I'd like to get the tour of his collection...

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Mmmm, that 1000R does make one hella case for itself. Geet, I can imagine any one of those bikes being the pride of the collection, never mind having all of 'em. Reminds me of the article in Cycle World some time ago about the collector dude that has all the racing VFRs, as well as a bunch of GSXRs and Kawi's from early Superbike days. He got a call from a friend at HRC, they were looking to liquidate all of their VFR racing parts. He got several pallets of genuine HRC VFR parts for around $15 grand I think, including Freddie Spencer spares. I'd like to get the tour of his collection...

FR

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Oh, I thought maybe you were talking about a Royal Enfield Interceptor.....750cc, big chrome tank--I love it. The dealer I bought my new Jawa 250 at in 1972 was a Jawa, Garrelli and Royal Enfield Dealer- one of those mom/pop operations in the garage out back that were common in the 60's early 70's.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts