Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run across information on cross referencing Ducati parts between models? Are there shelve parts, forks, swing arms etc. or does each model vary enough not to allow swapping parts?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
oh oh now what did you buy,
Some stuff certainly is interchangeable like front forks, anything brake related, they don't make those things in-house
possibly rear wheel bearings, rims and injectors etc, but not swingarms because those are frame specific.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
There are a boatload of Ducati parts that interchange - as already mentioned a lot of them interchange even with other brands. Somewhat era dependent I think, but back when I was rebulding my 750GT I would run the part number through a Moto Guzzi dealer too if it wasn't something obviously specific to Ducati like bodywork.

What are you working with/looking for? Putting a later engine into an 851 chassis is a different sort of interchange than trying to find which models used that weird spring in the shift mechanism.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I bought a 2007 695 Monster. 6500km. Needs a brake lever and handlebars, has a couple minor scuffs. Whatever happened to it was minor.
I have a proper black key but not the red programming key for the immobilizer. I'm working on the assumption that the bike should start once it gets fuel and a fresh battery.

·
Registered
753 Posts
the red key is only for making more black keys. it does nothing in terms of immobilisor disarming, etc. you can get the black keys cloned by many locksmiths.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the red key is only for making more black keys. it does nothing in terms of immobilisor disarming, etc. you can get the black keys cloned by many locksmiths.
So, in a perfect world, it should start? Disconnecting the battery won't require some type of reset? Any inherent problems with the 695? Are the engines between 650 and 750cc the same motor with different stroke/bore or is each an independent development?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
So, in a perfect world, it should start? Disconnecting the battery won't require some type of reset? ...
That sounds like the type of feature I would pay extra money to Not have on my bike.,
can you imagine; oops battery died, so much for bump starting, hope you have cell service, call for a hook.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
So, in a perfect world, it should start? Disconnecting the battery won't require some type of reset? ...

Correct. I have an ST3 and removed the battery and refitted it and removed all sorts of other parts, and as long as the ECU Immobilizer, dash and ECU are all connected, it starts without any issues.

I think the 695 has a different ECU, but if it has a ground lead, make sure it's connected or else you may fry the ECU and that gets to be pricey

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like the type of feature I would pay extra money to Not have on my bike.,
can you imagine; oops battery died, so much for bump starting, hope you have cell service, call for a hook.
Agreed, first thing I did was see if it could be removed cheaply. Got some winter reading to do. I haven't owned a Ducati since '81 (I think, a little foggy those years) and now have the opportunity to buy damaged bikes on a regular basis, with bikes I'm handy. I don't even take the keys out of my truck let alone know anything about immobilizers.

This little Duc having one I would have guessed your MV would.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct. I have an ST3 and removed the battery and refitted it and removed all sorts of other parts, and as long as the ECU Immobilizer, dash and ECU are all connected, it starts without any issues.

I think the 695 has a different ECU, but if it has a ground lead, make sure it's connected or else you may fry the ECU and that gets to be pricey
Thanks. I'm feeling a little ignorant on modern electronic systems, LOL, always good to find out after the fact.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Near as I can find, no I don't have one, yes you do
and your bike should have come with a code card that gives you a secret number to over-ride your neuralizer :cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
st3 and 695 bpth have 5am ecu. immobilisor is in the dash, and from the factory the immo, key set and ecu are coded together. code card used to override the immo works via the throttle to put the code in, but only works for one key on. turn it off, start again.

battery flat or out is no issue.

ecu does have an earth lead on one mounting screw. only earth the ecu has. won't work without it, amazing how well they can run with it just touching the ecu body.

if it is immobilised, the dash will have an orange light flash then come on solid when the key is turned on.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Brad. Have a bad connection in the fuel tank flange at the epoxy. Going to dig it out, fix the wire and re-epoxy. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts