Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
That was seriously the most annoying link to have to click through. I remember back in 2009 when those cars were "re-discovered". The funny thing is they were never really "lost", plenty of people in NY knew about them, I had first heard about them back in 1997 when working for a corvette restoration shop. The thing most people didn't know was who the owner was.

And this is why I hate stuff like that article posted, Peter Max was one of the most influential artists to the 1960's and the psychedelic movement. I would venture to say that at one point he was as famous as Andy Warhol, but has fallen out of public consciousness in the last couple decades because psychedelic painting is not in at the moment and he is still alive. Also there aren't a lot of great Peter Max party stories like there is around Warhol's factory. To the above linked article peter Max is just a NY photographer who wanted to paint the corvettes neon colors. Stupid. Actually I heard an interview with him a while back where he described the whole project as a performance piece whereby he would rent out a foot bal stadium and have cheerleaders and a marching band an confetti as the psychedelic painted corvettes would parade around the fanfare. Think of it as the most patriotic Super Bowl half time show you have ever seen but on acid. Had he pulled it off it would have been magnificent.

in case you still haven't figured out who peter Max is yet, go watch the Beatles' yellow submarine movie.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Peter Max was in all kinds of legal problems.

Peter Max looks like Ron Mael of Sparks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cool....cool....cooooool places...I wanna go....I wanna go

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
When I was in grade school, Peter Max notebooks and lunchboxes and stuff were quite popular...

I vaguely remember the giveaway. What a nightmare, I'm sure some of the cars were in questionable condition and what the hell is a normal person going to do with 36 cars? Who's going to pay to insure/register/maintain/store them? I'd have chosen one or two favorites then had the rest delivered directly to the auction house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts