Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help..............

Has anyone ever changed out handlebars with Internal wiring, to clubman's before? My bike is in the shop right now. It's a T500, I asked them to swap my bars out since they were going to do some other work.

Today I called to see how things were going, and to ask them to leave room for bar-end mirrors. "Oh about that........ It's not an inexpensive job with all that internal wiring, blah blah blah.

I thought wow, either these guys suck or this must be very tough.

Please Help

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Search

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You're welcome.
And welcome to the board.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RudeSkin

Help..............

Has anyone ever changed out handlebars with Internal wiring, to clubman's before? My bike is in the shop right now. It's a T500, I asked them to swap my bars out since they were going to do some other work.

Today I called to see how things were going, and to ask them to leave room for bar-end mirrors. "Oh about that........ It's not an inexpensive job with all that internal wiring, blah blah blah.

I thought wow, either these guys suck or this must be very tough.

Please Help
i just started swapping my bars out from internally wired bars. shot some WD-40 down the hole pushed the wires through the bottom hole and pulled from the grip end. it took about 10 minutes per side. i'm not sure if you're asking about rewiring the clubmans but i have not gotten there yet.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
this one has been asked about 25 times. you can drill a 1/2" hole at the end of the clubmans where they are welded for the wires to come out. and then drill another hole where they need to go into the bars under the switches. Welcome to our little e world.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i watched my boy internally route some clubmans the proper way all the way through and out the bottom under the clamp and albeit arduous, it was perfectly successful and looks killer. it aint easy, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by catboy

i watched my boy internally route some clubmans the proper way all the way through and out the bottom under the clamp and albeit arduous, it was perfectly successful and looks killer. it aint easy, but it's worth it.
the proper way? fuck that....

the proper way is to drill them and have them come out the ends. If you route them all the way down the the "U" of the clubmans the vibrations of the bike will rub the insulation off the wires at the bends (because they are pulled tight around the corners)and begin to short out the bike. Happened on my cb750, took about a year to happen, but it happened. I have a set of honda accessory clubmans from the mineola honda catalog (1970s piece), and they way they did it was to put the in hole next to the out hole and leave enough space for some slack.

Personally, you can just notch the controls with a dremel and run the wires outside down the bar and viola - external wires.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:they way they did it was to put the in hole next to the out hole and leave enough space for some slack.
Yes, that's the way catboy's boy did it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts