Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm a new member on this forum, although I have been reading it for a while now. I thought I'd introduce myself and ask for a little help with my project. I have been working on a Kawasaki cafe racer for a couple years. It's a 1966/67 A1 Samurai. You can check out the link below for a picture of the progress so far. Actually this picture shows how it looked last year, soon after I got it on the road.

http://home.maine.rr.com/cbx/Samurai/Pic1.jpg

Unfortunately, I had a spill on it in the fall, after returning from a successful 3200-mile motorcycle vacation on another of my bikes. I have now learned that the two bikes just don't quite have the same handling characteristics...

I spent the winter repairing it, and have now run into a problem. One victim of the accident was the exhaust on the right side. As you can imagine, these are fairly hard to come across for this bike. So, I purchased some used expansion chambers on Ebay (old Spec II units for a Yamaha RD). I have fabricated all the mounts/connections. My problem is that they came without baffles. I'm OK with a welder, so I thought I would just make some up. Does anyone here have a source for perforated tubing to fabricate baffles from? I need a couple feet of it - maybe 7/8 O.D. I'd appreciate any leads or ideas
you may have...

Ride safe,
Dave
Southern Maine
94 Honda VFR750
72 Honda CB350
66 Kawasaki A1 Samurai

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I just checked McMaster-Carr. Don't see perforated tube but they do have a wide selection of perforated sheet in numerous materials....maybe you could roll your own so to speak?
Although 7/8" OD is kind of small to attempt to roll. With some work you could probably bend some thinner gauge stuff using a solid bar as a form.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback and the compliments (you can never get enough of those after investing so much time in these things...).

I didn't see any perforated tubing listed on OnlineMetals website, so I think I'll pick up a sheet of perf'd steel from McMaster and try out my forming skills...

Later,
Dave
Southern Maine
94 Honda VFR750
72 Honda CB350
66 Kawasaki A1 Samurai

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I also meant to add to my post what a nice looking Kawi you have there. Very cool to see Japanese bikes that age brought back to life.
JohnnyB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts