Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Great site. Came to see Borzwazie's project and it looks like I may be staying a while.
I'm new to the Caferacer scene. But I love what I'm seeing here.
As I was looking at his build I remembered an old bike that got dumped into the back on an old truck behind the barn so I went out to see what it was exactly. In some bizarre twist of fate, I found a '74 CB360T.

Thats the good side
As it stand, it has 6000mi on the ODO, no idea if its accurate. Has supriseingly little rust for being outside for so long. Pipes are still pretty shiny and appear to be solid. The forks, tank, guages, bars, front fender, signals, seat and controls are all junk but those would all get replaced or left off anyway.
The engine won't turn over, but its stuck in gear and the chain is frozen solid so who knows whats up with that.
I'll open it up to see if it's worth anything before going too far.
I've got the bug now, so at worst, I'll have a parts bike and I can start stashing money away for another one in a little better shape.
I needed a new winter project anyway.
Here is last winters project.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5033605#post5033605 '90 XT350 frame up rebuild. Rattle can paint (including plastics), chopped fenders from another bike, and I whacked off anything that wasn't needed. There isn't any aftermarket for the bike so I've had to use a lot of imagination every time I want to do something to it which is often.
I think I'll fit in here just fine.

j

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's you're friend if you can actually buy something. Don't look too hard. I won't be buying anything for a few months.
You do realize that If I can swing this, I'm going to have to come down there to test it on some real roads finally meet the spawn of borzwazie.

j

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Where you at in MI?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
dont listen to Geeto about cb 360 he is a big guy and he needs at least a 750 to get him up and running any thing under that size is a toy to him.
any cb is fun for the street an to cafe it instead of detailed restoring them is the way to go .They have looks, get attention ,Look more expensive then what they are.And just personal level FUN.You just dont get that anymore with modern stuff there isnt a whole lot to do with new cars and bikes.
But an old reliable cb will just feel so old school mechanical.
And you ussually meet up with other cafers which are always cool people to hang out with online or in person.
Being a Northern bike I wont be surprized that its original mileadge.
I wont be surprized that its not seized or hasnt any tranny problems at all.
cb ussually get neglected for school money or free time and sit after needing such minor work .Ussually the previous owner isnt that mechanical and didnt want to pay to have a shop to look at it.
I have yet to find an old big of the 70s era thats to mechanically wiped out to fix up.Im sure they are out there but I have gotten my hands on pretty rough looking bikes that all ended up running dependably for almost nothing to buy them because they looked like yours and some worse looking.So thats 7 bikes now.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
hey its good your tank seat and bars are shot ,the fenders too now you have a good reason to cafe it.you get so much releif taking that stuff off and throwin it away as its so much ugly to have on the bike in the first place.And its heavy ,I suggest keeping every nut and bolt though ,as it helps to have miscilanious brackets and grommets and nuts and bolts when you start fabricating seat mounts and tank mounts and hanging lights,and such.

Really if you throw the seat down and pile the fenders front and rear with the big honking tail light and license bracket and the foot pegs and lights .then pick up it all together you see what you have saved in weight .a cafe seat and a big tank smaller lighter bars and one set of rear sets.Fresh new bigger sticker modern tires,add some up rated rear shcoks after you try cleaning and painting the old ones and they bottom out on you and you realize it was more work then it was worth and that you should have just bit the bullet and get them the first time out ...oh I digress. and you have a fun street blaster!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Before you take that engine apart, it might be worth seeing if you can get it unstuck while still together. At the least I'd spray a bunch of penetrating oil into the cylinders and wait a few days, then see about getting it moving. Sometimes I'm suprised what persistence will get me.

A

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was no chance of me restoring it to original (yuck).
Size wise, the 360 will be fine for all of my 165lbs and a cafe fits my sense of style.

j

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
borzwazie,
I took a look on craigslist and there are several engines and bikes available in the area so I don't think I'll have a problem finding one if I need it. Apparently old CBs also make good ice racers.

j

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'm in Brighton... and so is catboy. You make three of us from MI. There was another from Sterling Heights, R1fighter, but he doesn't hang around here anymore.
I have a cb360. It's a good bike. I also have a couple cb350 parts bikes, and many of the parts are interchangeable (wheels, forks, shocks, etc). Let me know what you need & I'll see if I can help you out. I also have a spare set of 360 carbs I wouldn't mind getting rid of - would probably be easier than fixing what you have. Almost certain the diaphragms in those on your bike are no good & they're hella expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know there are some others in the area.

Depending on the engine, I will likely be picking up a parts bike or a runner and go from there, we'll see.
I'm pretty handy with carbs after working on the crazy POS on my XT. Half is a standard round slide, the other half is CV and you can't find jets for it.

j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts