Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am quite new here..
I am Fred, aged 71, pension since 6 years. Driving motorcycles since age 18.
I was a chief workshop in a big motorcycle company since 1973 and I still visit them monthly.
Last year I bought a new Skyteam 125 Ace of course full of faults, but I can solve all that.
Here in my house I have a small workshop with lots of machinse, tool and welding equipment.
All save and warmed.
Since 1978 I have several old timer mopeds: a Honda C310A 1965, a Honda SS50 1968, A Tomos 4L 1972 and a Yamaha FS1 1982.
All of them in mint condition,however I took the Yamaha apart to fit a new crankshaft and bearings. Still busy with that.
This winter I took the 125 Ace apart to fix it with faster parts because of the lack of speed.
I mounted a big bore kit, faster camshaft, cilinderhead with bigger valves, exhaust system. A bigger carb is waiting untill this set has done some braking-in miles.
Some time fore I changed the tires, brake pads and shoes, fixed the side way play on the rear fork, placed better rear shocks, changed the steering handle for alum clip-ons, better speedo and rev counter, programmable cdi etc
Now waiting for better weather to take it for test drives..
I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome @
Post up some pics. Sounds interesting.

Properly sorting one of these cheap Chinese bikes seems to take quite a lot of effort for a new bike but interested to see the end result.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all. I am quite new here..
I am Fred, aged 71, pension since 6 years. Driving motorcycles since age 18.
I was a chief workshop in a big motorcycle company since 1973 and I still visit them monthly.
Last year I bought a new Skyteam 125 Ace of course full of faults, but I can solve all that.
Here in my house I have a small workshop with lots of machinse, tool and welding equipment.
All save and warmed.
Since 1978 I have several old timer mopeds: a Honda C310A 1965, a Honda SS50 1968, A Tomos 4L 1972 and a Yamaha FS1 1982.
All of them in mint condition,however I took the Yamaha apart to fit a new crankshaft and bearings. Still busy with that.
This winter I took the 125 Ace apart to fix it with faster parts because of the lack of speed.
I mounted a big bore kit, faster camshaft, cilinderhead with bigger valves, exhaust system. A bigger carb is waiting untill this set has done some braking-in miles.
Some time fore I changed the tires, brake pads and shoes, fixed the side way play on the rear fork, placed better rear shocks, changed the steering handle for alum clip-ons, better speedo and rev counter, programmable cdi etc
Now waiting for better weather to take it for test drives..
I will keep you informed.
Welcome Sir. Yes pics would be great!
Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Composite material Bicycle drivetrain part
Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design Locking hubs Wheel
Bicycle handlebar Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Plant
Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle Automotive lighting
Gas Auto part Metal Composite material Circle
Gas Auto part Metal Composite material Circle
mnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Rim
Product Household appliance accessory Bicycle part Gas Sewing machine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good Fred. Keep us posted on your progress.
The weather is too bad for testdriving so I took it to the parking place to warm uo the engine. It misfired at 5500rpm so I changed the adjustable CDI for the iriginal CDI. I"ll try agian
the next dry day.. I have this motorcycle parked in my livingroom next to my 4 old timer mopeds.. No rust

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks great Fred! Excited to see the progress!
Just a sidekick. Motorcycle and 2 old timer mopeds here in the livingroom beside my pooltable, Two more mopeds in my small workshop, equiped with a lath, milling machine etc.
Still working on my Yamaha FS1, new bearings, crankshaft, oilseals and now waiting for a special tool to pull the new crankshaft in the left handed bearing because I don't like the idea of hammering on a new crankshaf
Gas Cameras & optics Engineering Electrical wiring Service
Sewing machine Office equipment Household appliance accessory Machine tool Typewriter
Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive design Engineering
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

t

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Changing the bearings on the FS1 was a piece of cake. The carterhalves one by one in the oven, monitoring the temperature with a infra red temp meter. At 140 degrees I could push the bearings out with manual force, The new bearings from the freezer I could push them in the carters without any problems. The hardest part is waiting for the special tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts