Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, just thought i'd introduce myself. i'm 23 years old and live on vancouver island in british columbia, canada. i'm currently selling my CBR 600 and sometime in the near future i plan to begin a project bike (obviously a cafe racer). i read the faq thing and plan to use the search function, but i am sure at some point i will ask some rookie questions that have been beaten to death, so i applogize now. haha.

the bikes i'm so far considering to look into for my project are the obvious inexpensive easier-to-find bikes like CB 450's, 550's, 750's, and GT500's, 750's, etc. if anybody has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. i want my project to be pretty sporty (ie good brakes, power etc.) i think i would prefer a newer bike for the reason of higher performance and possibly front and rear disc brakes, but i'm open to pretty much anything. style wise i like a clean cut looking bike (almost plain jane). not sure how much i'm going to spend, but having already owned bikes i know a bike is never an investment, more like a money pit, but i also know how much fun bikes are. i've never really undertaken a mechanical project before, but i'm fairly mechanically inclined (although very little experience) but i'm really looking forward to it.

anyways i'll probably be lurking the forum for the most part...i can't see myself having any valuable input for a while, so when i do post it will undoubtedly be a question. well i guess thats it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
actually it just kinda hit me, do you guys think a mid 80's suzuki gsxr could me made to look like a more retro cafe racer? i was jut looking at some pictures and i think it could be a possiblity. although i kinda like more vintage bikes.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Welcome Badger. Sure, a mid eighties GSXR could be done up. It's already pretty sporty though, and you wouldn't want to compromise performance for looks...at least I wouldn't recommend it.

FR

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
sounds like the ideal starting point for you would be a 1977-78 cb750f.

Despite the mileage concerns (you will need to do valve guides at around 30K miles) the bike has the traditional SOHC cb750 motor, traditional cb750 backbone frame, plus the upgraded brakes (dual front and single rear disc). The hot rod 78 motors put out a true 67 hp. The bike in stock trim is a heavy fucker but lightening it up can do wonderful things for it. Plus they are kind of unwanted (because you are sorta stuck with the comstar rims) so $1000 should net you a decent runner. All the advantages of the SOHC hop up aftermarket, plus the stopping power of the early 1980s hondas (and upgradable to the 1982 900F brakes), how could you go wrong.

here's mine:

as far as the GS is concerned. Sure you could pull off a decent cafe racer with an early 1980s GS750, but a GSXR would cost too much and be too much work to be worth it.

If you want to go suzuki The 1977-79 GS750s are a little bit of a better bike and a better choice for hot rodding. They are also a cheap bike to score as a registered runner (you should have seen the super clean one that just sold on here for $1500).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
hey geet, what's the skinny on that tank? thats fuckin cool. love the lines.

"...if you're too open-minded, your brains fall out."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply! thats a killer looking bike you have! yeah i was just thinking a mid to late 80's sport bike might have a little more of the performance i was looking for, but i'm rethinking that. i'm selling my cbr600 to tone it down a bit. the cb's seem to be my best bet. fairly common and lower price. gotta sell my bike and take care of a few things before i can make a purchase but i'm really looking forward to it. i find projects to be as fun as enjoying the end result...even with all the inevitable frustrations.
thanks again

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey geeto,

nice styled bike. tank/bars/seat combo reminds me of a of a 60s production race replica, something like a more modern version of the cb92r. i think the comstar wheels would look nicer painted black, but i know you're into keeping things relatively stock...

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." -Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am not keeping things stock on that bike. As you see it in the pics is how my friend built it with parts raided out of 6th street special's basement. It lived a hard life on the streets of brooklyn before I got it. I literally rode it around the block before the fork seals started to leak and the rear brake light stopped working. So I tore it apart.

The seat is unknown, It might be an earlier GFTP or hotwing seat (which is what the owner told me). Hugh had it kicking around the back of his shop for years so it went on the bike. The tank is a dunstall 5 gallon tank. The bars are drag bars, and the foot pegs are stock location. Believe it or not they are super comfy on this bike. I was going to fit raask rearsets on the bike and clipons but I have decided against it. The upright riding position is more hooligan and easier to pull wheelies with. The pipe is a kerker (with street baffel). AS she sits she is about 100lbs lighter than a stock 1978 cb750F (the PO shaved a lot of brackets off the frame). She also has a dyna S and an unknown high lift/high duration cam. I rode it to my local harley dealership's opening party and it emptied the dealership.

upcomming mods include ditching the gauges for an autometer electronic tach and a mini speedo. The heavy stock fork ears are getting shitcanned, as is that front fender. I am going to try out the kz1300 tank on there because I have decided I am going to try and ride this bike to mid ohio this year. It is also getting the 1982 CB900F twin piston caliper brake upgrade. The hagons run really good on this bike but I may actually try to fit some vipex shocks or ohlins (I have sets of both).

I agree that the wheels would look badass in black, but I have to wait until she needs a new set of tires before I am ready to pull off the rims and paint them.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
geets,

does that bad ass honda haul your BIG ass around effortlessly orrrrrrrr do you have to keep shifting to keep it in the power band??

ps very nice

JS

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
geets,

does that bad ass honda haul your BIG ass around effortlessly orrrrrrrr do you have to keep shifting to keep it in the power band??

ps very nice

JS
Funny champ.....actually since the bike is 100 lbs lighter than stock it thinks I am you when I am riding it. we'll meet up at mid-ohio this year and you can sit on the handlebars while I ride through the swap meet.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
There is an aussie company that makes alloy copies of the dunstall tank (at list I think it is aussie, might be british). I have seen only one and it was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
its called the TANK SHOP they are in UK tanks start at 750 but they are in aluminum to any spec you want they have this style on the shelf
But you maybe like me and have a giant fur ball stuck in your throat when it comes time to cough up the dough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts