Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75 CB500t that I want to change up a bit. One thing that I really want to do is put some inverted forks on it. I've seen pics of it on a Yamaha 650. Anyone have any input on how to do this. If I didn't do inverted, I'd want to put on a high-performance fork of similar vintage as the bike, any sugestions as to bike models for that conversion? I'm around 225-230lb, hence wanting a beefier suspension.
Also, any input on rear shocks for this bike and my weight would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

2002 bandit 1200
2001 xr650r
1971 r75/5
1975 cb500t

·
Registered
278 Posts
My suggestion would be to get a set of inverted forks (say, recent GSXRs, R6s, something like that) and have billet trees made for them. Then have a machine shop press your 500T stem into those trees. Unfortunately, things get more complicated if you want to run the original 19" wheel... you'll have to make bushings for the axel and new hangers for your caliper, but you can probably avoid new spacers if you make your trees with the right dimensions.

I think that's the easiest way to go about it. If you skip the trees and use the ones off the donor bike, you have to think about stem length and diameter, find bearings that'll fit between new stem and old steering head, and god knows what magic you'll have to work to run the original wheel (if you're inclined).

Worth checking out the Ohio Cafe Racers site... they've got a 350 with inverted forks that looks pretty sick.

A

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I was thinking about going the way of messing w/ the berings. If I went w/ the gsxr wheels, how hard would it be to put the rear wheel in that cb frame?
A single sided swing-arm would look pretty nuts, but way beyond me.
The shop I do all of my bike business with also builds race car frames, so if i need to have a little crazy stuff done, it's possible. With winter fast approching, I'll have some time- more than money for this, sorry to say. Looking forward to more input/ideas. Thanks so much so far!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If money's not unlimited, you might want to consider other ways of modifying your bike.

The rear GSXR wheel: very hard. Here are the factors: your swingarm's too narrow, so you'll need to either widen it (difficult), adapt another one (difficult), or make one (very difficult). Best option is probably to mount the GSXR swingarm, in which case you have basically the same issues as adapting the trees (i.e. stem length, bearings, etc). Next problem: The GSXR wheel has a much wider profile than the 500, so now you have to extend the front sprocket out an inch or two to make them line up. But of course there's not enough room in the side cover for that, so you'll need to carve it up (you can't lose it because the clutch actuator is built into it).

Speaking of chains, I believe they both use 530, so you have that going for you, but they probably have a different number of teeth on the rear sprocket so your chain length will be wrong.

Have you spent enough money yet? Because we haven't done anything about brakes yet.

A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts