Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Great old stuff!

Looking at the pictures reminds me of a question I wanted to ask--Tony would probably know the answer or someone else that has spent time "across the pond".

I few years ago I spent a couple weeks in Northern Ireland. Lots of sportbikes and EVERYONE I saw on a motorcycle was in full leathers. Is there a law there about proper gear, or is it from choice?

Jack

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Great old stuff!

Looking at the pictures reminds me of a question I wanted to ask--Tony would probably know the answer or someone else that has spent time "across the pond".

I few years ago I spent a couple weeks in Northern Ireland. Lots of sportbikes and EVERYONE I saw on a motorcycle was in full leathers. Is there a law there about proper gear, or is it from choice?

Jack

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks Mr.Hearted, good stuff!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks Mr.Hearted, good stuff!

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
jack,

pretty sure it is ingrained in the culture (to gear up) as they use motorbikes for 70% transportation and 30% leisure, where we here in the states are the complete reverse.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
jack,

pretty sure it is ingrained in the culture (to gear up) as they use motorbikes for 70% transportation and 30% leisure, where we here in the states are the complete reverse.

tex

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Cool stuff, being part Irish, I thought Irish people were prohibited from owning or building motorcycles

cars too

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

Cool stuff, being part Irish, I thought Irish people were prohibited from owning or building motorcycles

cars too
HUH????? Where'd you come up with that thought??? Any explanations??

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Just jagging off the keyboard

Have there ever been any cars or bikes produced in Ireland? My mother told me when I was young that her people were too busy drinking and cross jostling to do much building.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basically Ireland is 3,000,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock in the north Atlantic. So there isn't a lot of time available to building bikes. There is a story of a bike named Fagan being assembled in Ireland in the 30s. It was made up of British components and only lasted a few years. But no, no bikes were ever "built" in Ireland. But the qualityf restoration has risen considerably in the past few years. A good friend over there picked up this 1929 KTT Velocette (engine no. 78) and did a very nice resto.

Before

By weslake at 2008-07-03

After

By weslake at 2010-04-09

This is a photo of the "Fagan". No proof but thats what it is said to be. All British stuff.

By weslake at 2010-04-09

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Delorean was built in Ireland.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by ROSKO

not a complete motorcycle but managed to make a small impact on motorcycle design.
http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2008/12/rex-mccandless-and-featherbed-frame.html
Nice story Rosko. Another friend in Ireland had a McCandless converted ES2 Norton. An early conversion and Jack never worried too much about apearances. Jack has long since left us but the Norton survives. This crappy photo was taken in 1974.

By weslake at 2010-04-09

I totally for got about Delorean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

Just jagging off the keyboard

Have there ever been any cars or bikes produced in Ireland? My mother told me when I was young that her people were too busy drinking and cross jostling to do much building.
Im irish,i live in Ireland and if your mother told you that,she's obviously an idiot and if you believe that your an idiot too....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
If I come over there I'll stab you in your cunt face. By all means look me up if you are ever in my hood.

Now go run along and open a car or motorcycle company.... die cast or injection mold pocket size crap doesn't count.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts