Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposidly it was stored properly many years ago wihtout fluids in the tank, etc and has very limited mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it runs sure. I bought mine for $100 in the same condition but not running. The bikes arent worth much but if your looking for a toy to ride the hell out of or chop and rebuild its a great platform

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You may want to make sure this bike has a transferable title... 600 doesn't seem to be an unreasonable amount for the bike. Hey - fill out your bi-o.

·
Registered
830 Posts
First, fill out your bio before Tex gets ahold of you.

Second, if the bike is how you describe, yes. Sell the fairing and bags to some oldie that wants to relive their youth, or fire it up and plan your touring assault on Nova Scotia for next summer as you ride it around and work the kinks out.

Cocktail shakers make for the worst looking aftermarket mufflers - IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the mufflers look ass too.
Here's my other ride(s)
The blue Yamaha's my Dad's but I take the old lady out on it.
The old Triumph was my Dad's as well but needs a total resto. I plan on cafe-ing it.
I also have a 82 GS450 I used to use for commuting but took it apart. I am going to get it back togehter and sell it and hopefully use this Honda for commuting. I'll just put some clubmans on the Honda and take all the bags off.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by blue

The old Triumph was my Dad's as well but needs a total resto. I plan on cafe-ing it.

use this Honda for commuting. I'll just put some clubmans on the Honda and take all the bags off.

First what do you think about the price? thats all that matters. we all have stories of what we bought bikes for....bikes are worth what people pay. if you are ok with $600 then pay that and then thats what the bike is worth

We havenet gotten and into yet so your skills are unknown but whats so wrong with having a stock brit bike?

also kinda shitty plan with the 350....

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I think $600 is a good price if it kicks over and has the paperwork. You can find stock mufflers but plan on spending a bit of money.

You will find the clubmans with the stock footpegs pretty uncomfortable. Flat bars will give you a cool look and not totally break your back--if you are going for cool. My CB350 has stock bars that are quite comfortable for long rides.

Looks like a very late CB350 with the disk brake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the price if it's as cherry as the kid says it is.
I don't mind going completely stock on the bike. I like the classic look of it. Maybe I'll do a little lower on the bars and not clubmans then.
I just want it to be a commuter to keep the flat spot off the Triple's tires from going to and from work.
It was basically the cost and the condition that appealed to me.
The GS450 I got for commuting is ok but the classic look of that CB350 is what I was really looking for when I bought the GS and one day I'll most likely go for a full cafe on the CB.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The CB350 will be worth more in stock condition. I'd consider bars with a little rise (superbike bars) to them vs the clubmans. You will find them much more comfortable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is basically what I want to do with the 72 Triumph. No disc brake, steering stabilizer, or fancy clutch cover though.
Gonna keep the stock airbox too.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
don't go nuts with either triumph.

by the way, the triple is a fine commuter, it's what i use...and try to resist the adhesive add ons and bellypans that are full of holes. pirelli's angels are your friend.

for the bonnie, just get the same low rise bars as suggested for the cb350 (like what you have on your triple), then find an original bench seat and ditch the sissy bar. your inspiration shot looks almost like a new hinckley model. i park a nearly stock old trident triple with low rise bars next to my modern street-triple and love the combo. oh, and if you don't want to listen to me and decide to change the turn signals...i could use them.

if the 350 is running, it's a good price. if it's low mileage and turns over and you need help getting it right, just ask. there are at least a few cb350 nuts in your general neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
OIF Trumpet is a (single carb) Tiger, not a Bonneville. Aside from the God-awful seat & sissy bar, it needs the highway pegs removed. Move the "Plastic Fantastic" out of the way & give us some proper pics of the "real" Triumph. None of us here are really interested in any of those other bikes...
It's sorta like saying, "Oh, here's my (mostly) unmolested '57 Chevy, but I'm really looking for advice on my '1982 Caprice station wagon." WTF?

Properly sorted, the Tiger would be an able commuter, IF you become familiar with its quirks & maintenance requirements, and keep up on said requirements... religiously.
... and if your commute doesn't include 70 miles of freeway each way.

Also, I agree about bags on a commuter. Decent price, IMO, but ditch the windshield, crash bar/highway pegs & top box. Keep the luggage rack & side bags.
Hell, eBay what you take off the bike & recoup half of your purchase price.

1973 is the only model year for CB350 w/front disc (CB350G, IIRC).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
judey, one geeto on this board is enough. blue's got both a meridian and a hinckley triumph (be it cub or tiger or bonnie or trident), so it's ok. there are plenty of us here that enjoy and ride moderns as well as the vintage stuff. the plastic fantastic triple is an absolute effing hoot...and that's the whole point...right? i used to ride my meridian triumph as a back up commuter (2hrs into 42nd street) and i'm familiar with it's quirks and wouldn't endorse using it as a commuter in the NY metro area, the cb400f now pulls that duty. the cocktail shakers do look like ass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Here's a decent pic of the Tiger. My old man stored it with fuel in the tank and the thing needs a boatload of work to make it decent enough for me to want to ride it.
I want it nut and bolt restored with lower bars and a a nice cafe seat like in the earlier pic.
Getting it to my place from storage I noticed some really ASS repairs. To attach that shit seat a mechanic welded a bent bolt to make a mount and the coup de grace was the rusty patch job on a crack in the frame on the bottom left spar of the frame under the motor. It looks awful, like someone just wrapped a cut section of cast plumbing pipe around the crack in the frame and went nuts with an arc welder. It's realllll nice, slag and rust abound. Looks about as solid as my first marriage.
I'm under the bike pulling the front tire off to get the bike stored behind my work bench until I can devote the garage to it and I notice it,
"Hey Dad, you ever crash this thing?"
"Yeah, a couple times."
"Who did the work for you?"
"The guy I used to get my pot from."
"Ohhhh, I see."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts