Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Impressive, all right. Nice looking brake setup. Custom hand-made exhaust. Looks like a nut-and-bolt build, not just another quicky for-profit job.

His shop is impressive too. Did you notice the professional cabinetmaker-quality cabinets with granite countertops? Even the shop rag he is using during the motor build looks like freshly-laundered terrycloth towel.

A few odd notes, though:

1. It has a racing fairing, no apparent turn signals in the front, and no apparent headlight. So it's built for track use? But it has turn signals in the rear, and a license plate and brake light. Inconsistent and contradictory.

2. The seat cowl doesn't fit the frame rails very well. Looks almost like an afterthought.

3. Front fender is too tight to the tire on the back end, and too far from the tire in the front end. C'mon, how hard is it to get an even line there.

4. Dude wants $10k plus for the bike, but he hasn't got it running right yet. He says he made some "jetting adjustments", but hasn't gotten to validate them yet due to the weather. Red flag: he hasn't tuned the bike, perhaps due to lack of skills. Painting, buffing, parts-sourcing, assembly and other build skills (even compentence as a motor rebuilder) are not the same as tuning skills. Whatever happened to patiently sorting a bike out and working out all the bugs? His crappy write-up in the listing tells me: "Warning! this bike still needs work. You will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to finish it." The problem with an unfinshed bike is that you can't tell if there is something fundamental wrong with it. It's like craigslist bike ads that say "Probably just needs a battery and some carb cleaning".

I'm tired of these "builders" who can't be bothered to make their bikes perform their best. This dude says he rode it 30 miles, and it was "smooth" and "stable". Well, congratulations, motherfucker, so is my $2,000 R90/6, and any other bike that isn't a neglected peice of crap. For $10K, I want a bike that is dyno tested, tuned optimally, everything sorted out. A builder needs to care about how a bike works.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) it has a light. Hard to see in the pics but there is a clip on fog light in between the fairing and the front tire.

2) actually if you look at it he finished the frame rails and added a mount for the seat. Some people like the frame rails showing under the seat, some don't. I can see this being a style preference.

3) agreed

4) agreed, but again he says he only has 30 miles on it. With his current setup he would need a couple hundred miles to dial it in. Still if you ate going to sell, spend the time to tune. Given the quality of the work I would gues he has the skill to tune it.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
while i like the guys attention to detail over most of the build im kinda let down by that headlight and also the fact that its not "tuned"

again its a amazingly shitty right up on what looks like a nice build. i really dont understand why its so hard to write a good description about something that you have for sale, and even more so when its $10K

its nice at least that the motor seems to have a new top end. not one of those "ran when parked" and i didnt think i should touch the motor kinda builds.
but it needs more details as to the parts that were used.

i wonder if he gets the money....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Based on the pictures, this guys spent a lot of time and money on this build. I would not be surprised he doesn't get the 10K he's looking for. I can see some of the nit picking concerns but it is a far better build than some of the trash I've seen on ebay by "professional builders"... I give the guy high fives with the build, I think the bike looks great.

Just an added thought - I would have added a red and white paint scheme on the black fairing, seat and side covers.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Based on the pictures, this guys spent a lot of time and money on this build. I would not be surprised he doesn't get the 10K he's looking for. I can see some of the nit picking concerns but it is a far better build than some of the trash I've seen on ebay by "professional builders"... I give the guy high fives with the build, I think the bike looks great.

Just an added thought - I would have added a red and white paint scheme on the black fairing, seat and side covers.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
If only he didn't use CBR rearsets and used an older style MC it would be near perfect.

I don't mean to be picky, but they were the first things I saw on the bike and thought "that's not right".

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
If only he didn't use CBR rearsets and used an older style MC it would be near perfect.

I don't mean to be picky, but they were the first things I saw on the bike and thought "that's not right".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts